Had to sell my Rega & records to raise some cash :(

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi folks,

Feeling a bit sad today - parted with my records and Rega RP1 over the weekend, needed some cash for some unexpected expense and I had no option really.. i hadnt listened to the turntable in a while, but now that its gone I cant help but feel a bit sad..

I think the main reason it didnt get much use is that I had it connected in through my AV system and the tv had to be off etc to listen to the turntable..

Im hoping to slowly save up for a setup again but I'm going to try and keep it standalone this time - if might take me a couple of years to put away the cash for it.. but i dont care.. its going to be a little pet project for me..

Now along with the turntable, what else am i going to need to run it with speakers? I figure a phono amp of some sort.. and go course speakers to go with it.. What would be a reasonable setup to partner with a Rega in terms of speakers/amp... im also going to keep an eye out on the secondhand market to see whats out there.. and who knows, might pick up something on the cheap.. what should i look for in second hand gear?

Cheers,
Mick

iMark

Sorry to hear that you had to sell your Rega.

To keep things cheap I would look out for a reasonable second hand amp or receiver with a phono stage and a headphone input. That way you can look for speakers later while still being able to listen to vinyl.

My 10 year old Denon stereo receiver still sounds pretty good and has got phono in. I'm sure you can find something like that (Yamaha etc) from around 2000 for a reasonable price.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kinda know how you feel. Nearly 20 years ago I sold my Linn Sondek LP12 and all my records. At the time I thought it would not be a good mix with my toddler. I moved to CD, and from then on I have been trying to get back that analogue sound.

Hi Mick, sorry to read your tale. I'd have sold the telly first, but that's just me!

I've recently got back 'into' vinyl after a decade or so without it. Have been looking at a well know auction site where there are many choices at pretty good prices if you bide your time and look carefully. I may be biased, but well taken pictures, literate descriptions, and clean surroundings impress me more than a blurry mobile shot and txt spk!

Rega, along with Linn and Technics, seem to be the most eagerly tracked and with a strong following - and plenty of mods/upgrades if you are so minded. You sometimes find a TT almost unused and stored for a few years, or used for ripping then off-loaded. And dealers have good used stock. The place I bought my TechnoDec had an immaculate Rega Planar 3 for £225, which I realise is almost the same as new RP1, and more than a modest Pro-Ject (who also sell models with marked plinths on ebay). For a bargain, a used Pioneer PL-12D for 40GBP, plus a used Marantz, Denon or Yamaha amp (say) with a phono stage inbuilt, and speakers for under 100GBP would be great. About 200GBP all in.

Good luck!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Mick, sorry to hear.

If you are saving then I would look at a Rega P2 or P3 Off fleabay a Rega Brio r (the new one) and a pair of rega RS1's

Beautiful synergy and the amp has a phono stage built in

Loads of RS1's going on fleabay as well.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
cheers lads i feel there's a big hole in the living room where the turntable used to be :( i will bide my time though and hopefully in time get back there..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Keep a lookout on ebay for bargain (but good) turntables like this Trio KD-1500.

If you avoid the more fashionable 'retro' turntables (Dual CS-505, Trio KD1033, Pioneer PL12D, Sansui SR-222 Mk2, any Rega, Technics SL-1200/1210 etc.) and hunt down models that are not so 'legendary', then your money will go further and you might get something in better condition for it's age too.

You will need to research this a bit harder (those 'legendary' decks are dead easy to research) but you could end up with something really unfashionable, really nice sounding, and in very good nick for much less inflated prices*.

*Generally ebay browsers don't stray outside of what they know or what they've heard of, so you get less bidders on the less well known models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts