Had enough . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You all know the modification process my beloved Rega P5 has gon through over the past 3 or 4 years . . . Health has caught up with me, I think I have had enough, and therefore need to consider my ongoing options . . . Just pressing a button?

My P5 'might be for sale' at the right price including the Audiomods Classic Arm, not sure I want to sell the superb Sumiko Pearwood M/C cartridge in the deal, unles it was appreciated as part of the sound quality the P5 produces and priced accordingly.

My option is to put the P5 back to its original condition, including the Rega 300 arm.

Any thought, offers or simple coments?

CJSF

ultrarunner

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Simple comment?

Why would you feel the need to put it back to standard - what would that change about the way you put a record onto the turntable, lower the needle, and listen...other than you'd be very aware that it didn't sound as good as it used to...

I don't know what the "health" comment relates to - but I personally think music feeds the soul, helps the wellbeing, mentally, and therefore physically. Losing a key component, that you've invested a lot of time and passion in, something that has a part of you in it...well, I'm not sure that would be good for you?

Just my take...as another modded P5 owner...

Si

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
ultrarunner said:
Simple comment?

Why would you feel the need to put it back to standard - what would that change about the way you put a record onto the turntable, lower the needle, and listen...other than you'd be very aware that it didn't sound as good as it used to...

I don't know what the "health" comment relates to - but I personally think music feeds the soul, helps the wellbeing, mentally, and therefore physically. Losing a key component, that you've invested a lot of time and passion in, something that has a part of you in it...well, I'm not sure that would be good for you?

Si

You have missed the point, getting up and down from the chair is going to become a problem. The sale is likley, some people might not appreciate the work I have put in to the modifications, upgrades and tweaks which are quite extensive and efective. Therefore the upgrades may put them of buying . . . they may not considerr the upgrades of suitable value in relation to what I would ask?

In other words, is a well modified TT worth its true value. Taking it back to its original condition means I can sell the modifications as seperate items for their true value, ie, arm, cartridge, sub platter, bearing etc.

It is a pity to have to do it, as some of the mods are are minor and in them selfs have little value, but 'as a whole' they have a majour effect on the 'whole sound'.

I may even sell the whole system if some one was so inclined to make me an offer . . . and start again with one of the self contained digital push button systems????*pardon*

CJSF

CJSF said:
ultrarunner said:
Simple comment?

Si

You have missed the point, getting up and down from the chair is going to become a problem. The sale is likley, some people might not appreciate the work I have put in to the modifications, upgrades and tweaks which are quite extensive and efective. Therefore the upgrades may put them of buying . . . they may not considerr the upgrades of suitable value in relation to what I would ask?

In other words, is a well modified TT worth its true value. Taking it back to its original condition means I can sell the modifications as seperate items for their true value, ie, arm, cartridge, sub platter, bearing etc.

It is a pity to have to do it, as some of the mods are are minor and in them selfs have little value, but 'as a whole' they have a majour effect on the 'whole sound'.

I may even sell the whole system if some one was so inclined to make me an offer . . . and start again with one of the self contained digital push button systems????*pardon*

CJSF

Sorry to hear about health and the possible loss of vinyl CJSF. My advice, if it's worth anything would be to keep it simple. Either sell the lot as it stands as a oner or split the turntable and arm separately, the Audiomods arm should fetch a good price. If I had the money I would dearly like to hear the Sumiko. This one has slipped through my grasp on various occasions as the buyer was asking too much.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advise Al ears, I'm going to hang on as long as I can, keep my thoughts positive, today has been a good day, do nothing rash or in a hurry. I had a full afternoons listening to vinayl on Sunday, been a long time, I'm totaly convinced about the benefits desite the 'snap cackle and pop'.

Yes 'Ae' the Sumiko is the dogs swingers, I bought it as a worn out trade in and had it re tiped by North West Analouge,. Its one of those cartridges that has no charicature of its own, it simply gets on with presenting what is on the record. No strengths no weaknesses, probaly not appreciated by many because of its neutral side? Change something in the system and because generaly the whole system has been set up as neutral you can hear the change for what it is worth, even the valves dont seem to dominate in any obvious way. I have the feeling the cartridge is so 'easy' might be the decent quality MC transformer I use rather than an amplifier?

Docs., in the morning see what he has to say?

CJSF

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi CJ...good to see you about these parts.

I think your feelings regarding your Hifi are directly linked to your health and mood. If you "ride it out", you will see your system in a much more positive light. My advice is, to not change anything when you are feeling low. I think you know this, but sometimes it helps to hear someone else say it.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes CnoEvil, I'm doing my best to hanging in there, I have the same issues with my model gliders that I have mentioned here before, walking is getting to be an issue. Gets me down, then I pick up again . . . With my history that not suprising.

CJSF

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I am sorry to here about your health issues.
I have been battling cancer now for over 5years and know how some days I think what the hell'ok I must stop spending money on records or should I sell them but music really helps me get through the tough times. At the end of the day you 've got to do what you think is right for you. What ever you decide to do I wish you the best .

CJSF said:
You all know the modification process my beloved Rega P5 has gon through over the past 3 or 4 years . . . Health has caught up with me, I think I have had enough, and therefore need to consider my ongoing options . . . Just pressing a button?

My P5 'might be for sale' at the right price including the Audiomods Classic Arm, not sure I want to sell the superb Sumiko Pearwood M/C cartridge in the deal, unles it was appreciated as part of the sound quality the P5 produces and priced accordingly.

My option is to put the P5 back to its original condition, including the Rega 300 arm.

Any thought, offers or simple coments?

CJSF

Keep your chin up, CJ.

Given you've put so much money, effort and time into the mods I would just enjoy your creation. Clearly it works a treat and it would be a crying shame to see it dismantled and restored to its original state.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Daz B said:
I am sorry to here about your health issues. I have been battling cancer now for over 5years and know how some days I think what the hell'ok I must stop spending money on records or should I sell them but music really helps me get through the tough times. At the end of the day you 've got to do what you think is right for you. What ever you decide to do I wish you the best .

Hay there Daz, always someone worse off, thats the way I'm thinking at the present, 'my music might be one of my only pleasures' . . . ? If I can keep my vinyl I will?

You keep the faith mate, my Hazel has been in the clear for 8 years now Lots of other issues but they come with getting old *kiss3* she will be 70 this year.

CJSF

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I am lucky as it is a non aggresive type of cancer so count myself very lucky. Have just had a major operation to remove a large tumour which was attached to my lower spine. I feel lucky because I am still here enjoying my life. Music and my family keep me going. So glad to here that Hazel has been clear for 8 years.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all, feeling better, listening to some Spotify at the moment, 'Dale Warland Singers - Blue Wheat', waiting for supper, home made fruit salad, then we will watch the end of a film we started watching earlier this evening.

CJSF

PS, what part of the world do you live in Daz? I am Suffolk based.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your health issues Cliff, hang on in there and don't make any rash decisions you may later regret. There are always ways round a disability, but it's normal to ponder about the things you think you won't be able to do, but truth is you'll be able to do more than you currently think you will.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Sorry to hear of your health issues Cliff, hang on in there and don't make any rash decisions you may later regret. There are always ways round a disability, but it's normal to ponder about the things you think you won't be able to do, but truth is you'll be able to do more than you currently think you will.

I'm sure you are right MF, I believe you have your own problems?

I have been to the Docs., this morning, the clouds are not quite as dark as I was anticipating, there is nerve damage, he feels we can overcome provided I cooperate in tests, thats a problem as I have fobias where needles and blood are concerened!!! . . . 'stiff upper lip' and all that, I must overcome if for no other reason than Hazel is disabled and very dependent on me. HiFi and my gliders come second place in that one.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
... provided I cooperate in tests, thats a problem as I have fobias where needles and blood are concerened!!! . . . 'stiff upper lip' and all that, I must overcome if for no other reason than Hazel is disabled and very dependent on me. HiFi and my gliders come second place in that one.

CJSF

I had blood tests on a daily basis (sometimes multiple tests per day*) for the 27 days/nights I spent in hospital between late November 2014 and August last year. I also had to have quite a few between times. On the whole they are fine. I am a bit 'sensitive' too, so I never looked while it was being done. It was usually all over in a few seconds and virtually pain free after i'd got used to the first few. Don't worry about it.

Cannulas were my favourite. When they inject things via a cannula you just get a momentarily cool sensation and that's it.

An experienced nurse or phlebotomist will have 'taken your bloods' before you even realise they've started!

*A nice little touch was that 'bloods' were always taken between 05:30 and 06:00 every day. (So my early morning alarm tone was "Good Morning Mr C, I've come to take your bloods!"), followed by any pills/injections around 06:00 followed by a hot cuppa around 06:30 and breakfast at 07:00. What a way to start the day eh? :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Chebby, I realy have a phobia, needle or blood, I am out of the nearest door or I become potentialy vilent!!! . . . so I have some real mountains to climbe in my mind . . . I WILL DO IT!

The one positive that has boyed me up, I have lost 2.5 stone in the past 6 months, with out realy trying. Majour life style changes that one has volentarily implimented in the past 3 weeks can do nothing but good in the weight loss department. This is an incentive as far as I am concerned, a goal to set my sights on and the overcoming of my phobia will be helped by this goal.

I've spent 68 years messing up my life, how much can I regain in the time I have left?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The thread is headed 'Had enough' . . . been pushed from pillar to post by medics, the shrug . . . one get the idea let the old'n fade away

So that is it, excitment and pleasure of music is gone, as I sad to Hazel the other day, 'I'd rather be dead' . . . if thats the only way to stop the pain?

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
I'm sure you are right MF, I believe you have your own problems?

You believe right my friend, each of us travels a journey unique to ourselves and that's why generally in the great big picture I try my very best not to judge others, because none of us is living anyone else's journey and we don't know what anyone else is living through :)

CJSF said:
I have been to the Docs., this morning, the clouds are not quite as dark as I was anticipating, there is nerve damage, he feels we can overcome provided I cooperate in tests, thats a problem as I have fobias where needles and blood are concerened!!! . . . 'stiff upper lip' and all that, I must overcome[/u] if for no other reason than Hazel is disabled and very dependent on me. HiFi and my gliders come second place in that one.

CJSF

I am absolutely sure you will find the strength, driven by your strong love and unstoppable will to succeed. And when you have, make sure you look up to the sky and shout "Hey! You up there! You call that a difficult ball!? I bounced it off the boundary. Bowl me something that's at least a challenge!!"

It is the only way.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
The thread is headed 'Had enough' . . . been pushed from pillar to post by medics, the shrug . . . one get the idea let the old'n fade away

So that is it, excitment and pleasure of music is gone, as I sad to Hazel the other day, 'I'd rather be dead' . . . if thats the only way to stop the pain?

CJSF

I'm sure they don't mean to come across that way...but when you are overwhelmed by a virtual conveyor belt of patients it can be massively challenging.

I can understand you feel hopeless and currently you lack a focus and you are uncertain of what the future will bring. But remember that the night is always its darkest just before a new dawn.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Cjsf I know where you are coming from sometimes it feels that they don't care and you're left feeling frustrated and angry. I have been through pain and it's a living hell. I just hope you can find the strength to carry on.

CJSF said:

CJSF

Man, try not to be so negative. Don't you have any close family you can talk to? It really does help to confide in children, siblings, cousins etc. 'A trouble shared is a trouble halved' is so true, CJ.

Mrs. P has gone through the wars recently - hospital visits and treatment. Since having little'un her health has faltered. Later today she has an appointment at East Surrey hospital to have a wisdom tooth taken out. Since November it has been one thing after another - and she's only 45.

I hate needles. I generally get round it by closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. Only takes a few seconds and it's over.

The most important thing is to get yourself sorted, if not for you then for Hazel's sake.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts