Guys need your help

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm running from pillar to post like a poodle in the park not knowing which tree to mark my territory on.

I've wantwd to get rid of the laptop so I don't need to constantly plug in and out.
Now I want to rip my blu rays also

I've toyed with the idea of Nas, streamers like aries, fanless mini nuc pc and now oppo or Sony 4k blu ray.

Advantage of the oppo is the 7.1 out so I can connect directly to power amp. And also the hdmi input (Roku streaming device)

What do you.guys think
The oppo can except hd up to 16tb so I can rip all my movies and music and send to TV and has an coaxial digital out for my dac.

insider9

Here's my thoughts. There are 3 vital components 1) source including software (paying attnetion to control app), 2) transport, 3) dac.

I'm looking into Roon (no 1) as it is excellent and imho everything else is lacking in comparison. (Can give you a link for a 2 month free trial) User experiences is excellent, cataloging, lyrics, control app, possibility of different DSP in different zones, multi-room, etc. I've read about people using NUC, NAS solutions, PC for servers. You can have your server as your end-point. But...

You could use Oppo as an end-point. Here's where it gets interesting. You can be flexible with transport. The server can run out of sight with one or more zones with devices ranging from low powered Raspeberry Pi to Auralic/Bluesound/Oppo to many times the cost solutions. Why the hassle? Because your server might not be the best transport with noise etc.

Finally you can use any DAC really so very flexible solution. Roon could upsample to DSD or donwsample as needed etc.

What exactly does roon do.does it not require some heavy duty pc hardware to run properly.I have read about it but can't see why I'd need it over a jo average nas drive running a half decent server apart from it's dsp capabilities I'm not sure I'd want to pay a large one off cost or subscription fee or whatever it is they ask for.not being critical just would like it explained in layman's terms.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I remember you don’t want to go straming (spotify, apple, qobuz, tidal or whatever) and you don’t want to stream movies (netflix, amazon or whatever) but it looks mighty complicated to what trouble and expense people go just for the sake of owning physical format (ok, there are gaps in movie and music libraries from various providers) but ask yourself how many movies and cd’s did you buy this year? I listen few new albums everyday.. I jump from genre to genre.. if streaming quality is not enough qobuz offers sublime plus option for £1 a day hi rez catalogue ( well, some of it)

nas, streamers, rippers, configurations... I mean, maybe this is all good if you don’t want to explore new horizons or you are satisfied with cd/ dvd collection or simply cheerish what you have.. Andy, what’s your reasons behind all these today? what’s your point of view?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
What exactly does roon do.does it not require some heavy duty pc hardware to run properly.I have read about it but can't see why I'd need it over a jo average nas drive running a half decent server apart from it's dsp capabilities I'm not sure I'd want to pay a large one off cost or subscription fee or whatever it is they ask for.not being critical just would like it explained in layman's terms.

good point..

wow, just checked roon prices.. nothings free, sure.. but

insider9

Mark Rose-Smith said:

It does a lot in fact. Big database that catalogues all your music. No need to do anything when ripping, all artwork and other data will be in Roon. Viewing it by whatever you feel like. It's a constant discovery. Say you're listening to Led Zeppelin, you click on John Paul Jones (very underrated member of that group) it'll bring up all the music that he took part in. Not just as a musician but things such as his collaboration with R.E.M. on Automated for the People where he's done string arrangements (he's credited in Roon as Orchestra), that he played piano and mandolin on In Your Honor album by Foo Fighters. Albums he produced, etc.

Song lyrics, multi room, dsp already mentioned. Tidal integration with your music library. But also it learns your listening patterns and can play a "radio" based on what artists you liked. Can also play internet radio. Lots more.

If you have an opportunity try it. 2 months free trial is via Hans Beekhuyzen YouTube channel. Code under one of his videos. Usual trial is 2 weeks.

As to hardware it really depends on how many end-points (zones) you want to run at the same time.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
cool, but what’s if someones library is 300 cd’s? you can read a lot and listen a little? well, maybe it encourage roon users to buy more music? wouldn’t apply to me as I used to buy WAY to much and it gives me pleasure to find info on my own but I understand it appeals to some

A bit to pricy for me for what it does...need a pretty decent pc constantly running while your listening to music or a very expensive nas drive that can run the software.Spotify will content me with it's discover tab.lol....maybe not as hi tech or efficient but it comes with Spotify and I don't pay anything extra for it.

Don't get me wrong insider, if I had money to throw at it,Roon could be very useful and I'd want it but apart from the price of roon which seems reasonable . it's the cost of the hardware to get it up and running with all it's feature set that is a bit prohibitive to me at the moment.I prefer not to have my computer running all day,so I'd need a pretty powerful nas drive from synology or q nap....expensive things they are.

insider9

I absolutely understand. On balance of things I'd probably be happier with a hifi box doing all of it but such box doesn't exist. Nowhere near the functionality of Roon especially when it comes to DSP. Even if I wanted to split the player and DSP the cost would be huge.

My Minidsp uses 9,600 taps, Roon can utilise 131,000. If say for anyone considering DSP whether in a Minidsp box form or Dirac Live Roon is a great alternative.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
I remember you don’t want to go straming (spotify, apple, qobuz, tidal or whatever) and you don’t want to stream movies (netflix, amazon or whatever) but it looks mighty complicated to what trouble and expense people go just for the sake of owning physical format (ok, there are gaps in movie and music libraries from various providers) but ask yourself how many movies and cd’s did you buy this year? I listen few new albums everyday.. I jump from genre to genre.. if streaming quality is not enough qobuz offers sublime plus option for £1 a day hi rez catalogue ( well, some of it) 

nas, streamers, rippers, configurations... I mean, maybe this is all good if you don’t want to explore new horizons or you are satisfied with cd/ dvd collection or simply cheerish what you have.. Andy, what’s your reasons behind all these today? what’s your point of view? 

Looking at ripping all my Blu-ray onto hd also so was initially looking at upgrading my Blu-ray machine and connecting a hd.
Then thought I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

A nuc would still be the best all round performer I feel for music/movies and streaming online.

Oie

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Nuc here. Most cost effective and flexible solution from my point of view if you are interested in video and music.

Running JRiver and I cannot complain about the sound.

And it’s future proof.

Regsrds,

O

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
what will replace my WDTV's when they die but until then I'm happy. Andrew, if you rip your BD's to a hard drive that sort of makes the Oppo an expensive interface? I was looking at a NAS setup as the WDTV's get used every day so they will die at some point but the NUC seems a better option. I've only used my BD player once or twice in the past 3 years since ripping everything to HD and the CD player is out of the system. There's a few ways of doing what you want, I think it's a 'pay your money' situation and I'd like to know what you decide on.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
paulkebab said:
what will replace my WDTV's when they die but until then I'm happy. Andrew, if you rip your BD's to a hard drive that sort of makes the Oppo an expensive interface? I was looking at a NAS setup as the WDTV's get used every day so they will die at some point but the NUC seems a better option. I've only used my BD player once or twice in the past 3 years since ripping everything to HD and the CD player is out of the system. There's a few ways of doing what you want, I think it's a 'pay your money' situation and I'd like to know what you decide on.

I agree on the nuc being the best but the oppo or Sony 4k can also play 4k Blu-ray.

I believe the nuc would give me more performance and flexibility.

daveh75

I'd recommend the Nvidia Shield TV, its the best multimedia front end bar none right now IMO.

It supports 4K/HDR, and Dolby Atmos, DTS-X etc if you're into surround formats, it also supports high-res audio up to 24bit/192kHz via either USB or HDMI, it has two USB 3.0 ports so you can connect external drives if you need to.

It has many of the streaming services onboard, but it also supports 'Chromecast built-in' so those that don't have a native Android TV app can still be 'cast' from Android/iOS/Chrome.

Install Kodi, or Plex if you prefer, for your local media and you've got an incredibly flexible system all told.

It's also a pretty capable games console if that's your thing

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/shield-tv/

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
daveh75 said:
I'd recommend the Nvidia Shield TV, its the best multimedia front end bar none right now IMO.

It supports 4K/HDR, and Dolby Atmos, DTS-X etc if you're into surround formats, it also supports high-res audio up to 24bit/192kHz via either USB or HDMI, it has two USB 3.0 ports so you can connect external drives if you need to.

It has many of the streaming services onboard, but it also supports 'Chromecast built-in' so those that don't have a native Android TV app can still be 'cast' from Android/iOS/Chrome.

Install Kodi, or Plex if you prefer, for your local media and you've got an incredibly flexible system all told.

It's also a pretty capable games console if that's your thing

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/shield-tv/

was looking at these a while ago

i take it the difference between the pro and standard is just the 500gb drive?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
a) do you need tv on to browse and stream music from a built in or attached hard drive?

b) can you send wireslessly files ripped on computer to nvidia shield built in or attached hard drive?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
doesn't appear to be a DLNA device so it's not on my list, plus I would need two. I can't see what it can do over the Fire TV 4K for substantially less money, however at my viewing distance I won't be able to differentiate HD and UHD (Panny HD plasma atm) so 4K isn't a buying point for me. Both devices seem to be good at 4K streaming... great if your internet is working and you can find any 4k content. The NVidia tries to be a games console, and almost does it but it's another feature that I can't justify paying for. Something I had a problem with was stuttering from BD files and eventually discovered the 3:2 pulldown process in video post production, but the WDTV output can be forced into 24p which cures that issue, not sure if that might present a problem on other devices but WD haven't exactly kept up to date with updates of any description so obsolescence is nigh.

Hey Andrew,

I've just recently got a NAS. You can find refurbished ex business servers for good prices on eBay you just need to buy and install hard drives and a OS. It's not complicated, im not a computer person but you can save alot of money doing it this way. I also brought a cheap external blue ray burner.

I brought this to rip not only music but also films and amazed how well it works. Now got my own personal Netflix of DVDs across the house and hi Res music.

However might be worth noting if you are interested in SACDs there's is a oppo and Pioneer blue ray players that you can easily hack to rip them. Also believe one of them has network features

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts