Guys need your help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Elliott Leishman said:
Hey Andrew,

I've just recently got a NAS. You can find refurbished ex business servers for good prices on eBay you just need to buy and install hard drives and a OS. It's not complicated, im not a computer person but you can save alot of money doing it this way. I also brought a cheap external blue ray burner.

I brought this to rip not only music but also films and amazed how well it works. Now got my own personal Netflix of DVDs across the house and hi Res music.

However might be worth noting if you are interested in SACDs there's is a oppo and Pioneer blue ray players that you can easily hack to rip them. Also believe one of them has network features

Sounds good

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
paulkebab said:
doesn't appear to be a DLNA device so it's not on my list, plus I would need two. I can't see what it can do over the Fire TV 4K for substantially less money, however at my viewing distance I won't be able to differentiate HD and UHD (Panny HD plasma atm) so 4K isn't a buying point for me. Both devices seem to be good at 4K streaming... great if your internet is working and you can find any 4k content. The NVidia tries to be a games console, and almost does it but it's another feature that I can't justify paying for. Something I had a problem with was stuttering from BD files and eventually discovered the 3:2 pulldown process in video post production, but the WDTV output can be forced into 24p which cures that issue, not sure if that might present a problem on other devices but WD haven't exactly kept up to date with updates of any description so obsolescence is nigh. 

I failed to mention that I need a new Blu-ray player anyway.
I went to pc world today and checked out the Sony ubp x800
Quite good build quality.
I don't need 4k bit would be silly not to get 4k Incase I do.
I can stick all my Blu-ray and DVD on external hd

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
a) do you need tv on to browse and stream music from a built in or attached hard drive?

b) can you send wireslessly files ripped on computer to nvidia shield built in or attached hard drive?

An app remote control should do it

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
paulkebab said:
doesn't appear to be a DLNA device so it's not on my list, plus I would need two. I can't see what it can do over the Fire TV 4K for substantially less money, however at my viewing distance I won't be able to differentiate HD and UHD (Panny HD plasma atm) so 4K isn't a buying point for me. Both devices seem to be good at 4K streaming... great if your internet is working and you can find any 4k content. The NVidia tries to be a games console, and almost does it but it's another feature that I can't justify paying for. Something I had a problem with was stuttering from BD files and eventually discovered the 3:2 pulldown process in video post production, but the WDTV output can be forced into 24p which cures that issue, not sure if that might present a problem on other devices but WD haven't exactly kept up to date with updates of any description so obsolescence is nigh. 

I failed to mention that I need a new Blu-ray player anyway.
I went to pc world today and checked out the Sony ubp x800
Quite good build quality.
I don't need 4k bit would be silly not to get 4k Incase I do.
I can stick all my Blu-ray and DVD on external hd
Bear in mind Sony doesn't have any analogue outputs.

daveh75

lpv said:
a) do you need tv on to browse and stream music from a built in or attached hard drive?

No. Kodi for example will allow you to do that via a web interface or via the remote app

b) can you send wireslessly files ripped on computer to nvidia shield built in or attached hard drive?

Yes and there are multiple ways of doing it depending on what apps you're using. Kodi and Plex both support UPnP/DLNA for example, or you could install something like tinyFTP.

daveh75

paulkebab said:
doesn't appear to be a DLNA device so it's not on my list, plus I would need two.

Both Kodi and Plex support DLNA if you need it

Ican't see what it can do over the Fire TV 4K for substantially less money, however at my viewing distance I won't be able to differentiate HD and UHD (Panny HD plasma atm) so 4K isn't a buying point for me. Both devices seem to be good at 4K streaming...

I have a 2nd gen AFTV here, and as good as they are, especially for the price they aren't in the same league as the Shield.

The UI, the ecosystem are far superior IMO, it seems to get updates far more regularly (OS level and apps) it isn't running an ancient version of Android.

Then there's the h/w, it's more powerful, has more RAM and onboard storage than even the current AFTV, Gigabit ethernet whereas the AFTV requires a separate adapter, the two USB ports, which are full blown USB 3.0 ports so can be used to connect all manner of things not just external storage incidentally.

So Keyboards/Mice, Webcams, all manner of audio devices like gaming headsets, DACs/Soundcards/Interfaces, and optical/coaxial converters, DVB tuners etc etc.

Granted if you don't need any of that it probably does look expensive, but as I said AFTV isn't even in the same league when it comes to flexibility/functionality.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I have read on the bluesound forums that most streamers can't update the content data in real time, when we have a HDD plugged in. They advise using a Nas setup. So that the indexing happens on the Nas, and the streamer just accesses it. I have found same to be actually true with both the powernode and the wxc-50. Iam not a computer guy at all. I have a WD my cloud 4tb plugged into my router, which acts as an excellent Nas for nubies like me :)

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Plex and I can't get it to see any of my DLNA drives. Kodi does but displays every file in a folder, I know to play the m2ts file but her indoors doesn't know the difference between most file formats. Plex is def more WAF friendly so I'll have another whirl with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts