Group Test Dacs: Cyrus 6XPd/8Xpd vs Cambridge Audio Dac Magic

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the recent group test in the May 2010 issue, where you state the DacMagic is the winner of the sub £400 DAC's (as expected) and the Cyrus DAC X+ beats the Bryston BDA-1 in the high end category.

Question - The Cyrus 8XPd does have a USB input (plus others) and the multi Award Winning Cyrus 6XP Integrated Amplifier can be upgraded to the 'd' designation with digital inputs. Leaving aside cost issues (the upgrade price is just under twice the cost of the DACMagic), is the Cyrus 6XPd or the 8XPd a better DAC than the Cambridge DacMagic, as I'd much prefer to have a one box solution with less wires, power supplies and remote controls??

It would be nice to answer this question in print as I imagine it's something a lot of people think of when considering a purchase of a Cyrus, with it's excellent 'upgrade' potential.

Many Thanks

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'll chime in, as you haven't had a response yet.

i haven't heard the 6 or 8xpd, but the difference between a dacmagic and a cyrus dac-xp (without psx) is heart stoppingly small considering the price difference.

A

Anonymous

I have listened to the 8xpd, but it was one of the the qx variants, and in my opinion it is a far better all round product. I have a dacmagic in spare bedroom, its ok, nothing great, but the dac xp+ is a totally different proposition, a dacmagic is nowhere near it in terms of sonic ability ( if used in conjunction with a half decent system) The 2.5k price difference tells you it is a far superior product. If you got the 8xpd, at a later date you could upgrade to the qx, add another power amp or 2 and use 8xpd as a pre. Far more options going the cyrus route, also far more cost though. Have a listen to both and see what you prefer, since its you who has to part with the cash and live with it.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
imo, the 2.5k price difference tells you nothing.

my system is more then half decent, and i was very disappointed by the dac-xp.

edit: i should qualify, i was disappointed for the price, it is better then a dacmagic. but it's 10x the price.

A

Anonymous

I agree it isnt worth ten times the price, even a dac x is expensive for what it is. I believe the more you pay, the better you get, generally, and judging by your set-up you adhere to the same principals. I just dont rate the dacmagic as much as some others.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Interesting topic but surprised that someone could say that comparing DacMagic vs Cyrus DacXP is like chalk and cheese. My initial impression on Cyrus DacXP is it is overly priced compared to DacMagic and difference is very little only a person with "Golden Ears" can tell the difference if both used in a similar kit.

Also t it make a lot of difference in parntering DacMagic with right Amp/Speakers combo
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry to deviate slightly from the post but i got the impression that the Spitfire was better for overall sound quality but the Dacmagic was better for inputs e.g if you require USB connectivity. Maybe i just read it wrong.

idc

I am with you FrankTheTank, I felt that the Spitfire did as well as if not better than the DACmagic. Plus the Spitfire has an easy £100 upgrade with adding The Supplier PSU and its opamps are easily rolled. From my reading the only advantage the DACmagic has is that it has USB.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the feedback. What I really wanted to know though, was how the DacMagic compares to the Cyrus 6XPd or 8XPd - does anyone have any experience here?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts