Greg Lake RIP

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Greg Lake died yesterday from cancer.

For me, he was one of the most iconic singers of that "progressive rock" era. He had a beautiful voice but probably lacked the creative flair to build on his that voice. Not that Being a starring member of King Crimson and then a lengthy spell in "super group" Emerson Lake and Palmer is anything to be sniffed at!.

21st Century Schizoid Man (Edit - In the Court of The Crimson King- King Crimson first album) - amazing! ELP - first album - their best (inmho) And of course, the best ever Christmas song to boot!! - A legend - it's been a bad year.

God rest Greg Tonky

scene

I tuned into Planet Rock on the Sonos last night and was listening to an interview they did with Mr. Lake as a very fitting tribute, with him talking about the influences on him and his life. If it's available on podcast, worth listening to,

Another great dies - RIP Greg Lake

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
he had the flair to write his own lyrics, that was left to Peter Sinfield on almost all of ELP's albums. However, Greg had a wonderful, haunting voice on songs that he developed and required that tone. Some can reduce me to tears at times.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
paulkebab said:
he had the flair to write his own lyrics, that was left to Peter Sinfield on almost all of ELP's albums. However, Greg had a wonderful, haunting voice on songs that he developed and required that tone. Some can reduce me to tears at times.

+1, Paul. Been listening to favourites, In the Beginning, Lucky Man and Throw a Pebble on the Essential ELP CDs - bought just days before Emerson's suicide last spring. Tragic. Saw King Crimson live and he was pitch perfect. Also saw Atomic Rooster in a tiny venue, not realising until recently that it was Carl Palmer on drums. A very sad loss and all three superb musicians with the caveat to newbies that some tracks are a bit "marmite". I believe in father Christmas is sure to be top of playlists this year.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Nicely said Emperor and paulkebab. Some nice tributes were paid on Johnny Walker's sunday radio show (as well as some of his songs).

For all his brilliant singing for King Crimson and ELP he will be remembered for THE best Christmas song (inmho) of all time.

regards all tonky

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
Nicely said Emperor and paulkebab. Some nice tributes were paid on Johnny Walker's sunday radio show (as well as some of his songs).

For all his brilliant singing for King Crimson and ELP he will be remembered for THE best Christmas song (inmho) of all time.

regards all tonky
+1

joint best Christmas song alongside Fairytale of New York (RIP Kirsty MacColl)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
tonky said:

regards all tonky
+1

joint best Christmas song alongside Fairytale of New York (RIP Kirsty MacColl)
I was with you until you compared Greg Lake's work of art to that piece of sh-t 'sung' by the drunken Irish Karaoke reject with bad teeth, which was awful when it was first released and hasn't improved with age. Why people rate it so highly is completely beyond me. Kirsty was a legend though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts