Greatest sit-com ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Would have to be Fawlty Towers for my fav old one, Friends as more recent, but can't think of a single one that is still being made or presently running that could compare...
emotion-7.gif

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
El Hefe:I am surprised no one mentioned about one of the classic sitcom - Mind Your Language and Benny Hill Show. Mine is Mind Your Language and Friends.

The Benny Hill Show wasn't a sit-com.

How would you classify Benny Hill then?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

The Young Ones.

'I didn't think when you said panic, you meant hang me'
I've got war tattooed on my left hand, peace tattooed on my right hand and the brothers karamazov tattoed on my spine

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
hammill:bretty:
The Young Ones.

'I didn't think when you said panic, you meant hang me'

I've got war tattooed on my left hand, peace tattooed on my right hand and the brothers karamazov tattoed on my spine

'My parents.....are dead!'

'You think that's bad?'

'Well, yes I bloody do, actually!'

Great.

A

Anonymous

Two and half men, cheers, fraiser, friends, and of course faulty towers, for me.

Tonestar1

What constitutes a sitcom? Does The Office count? Phoenix Nights? If not then probably Faulty Towers or Men Behaving Badly. Oh and how could I forget Only Fools. It's a difficult question.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
All these people who're such fans of Fawlty Towers..... You think they'd know how to spell it.....
emotion-4.gif

For me, it's gotta be Blackadder, Spaced, Open All Hours.....

scene

plastic penguin:DavieCee:

Soap!

I doubt they could re-make it properly but a repeat run would be nice.

Mmmmm, I feel a DVD search coming on.

It's probably the only US comedy I like - this is because I don't get their humour, whereas Soap was just plain mad...

When I was young, I used to watch Soap! and Agony (unless my parents caught me, as they were on too late, I seem to remember!). Loved them both - though I don't think Agony has stood the test of time. Soap was the best send up of US soaps made at the time. I just loved the whole kidnapped by aliens, replaced by an alien, impregnated by an alien story line... Mad as a bag of snakes!

scene:plastic penguin:DavieCee:

Soap!

I doubt they could re-make it properly but a repeat run would be nice.

Mmmmm, I feel a DVD search coming on.

It's probably the only US comedy I like - this is because I don't get their humour, whereas Soap was just plain mad...

When I was young, I used to watch Soap! and Agony (unless my parents caught me, as they were on too late, I seem to remember!). Loved them both - though I don't think Agony has stood the test of time. Soap was the best send up of US soaps made at the time. I just loved the whole kidnapped by aliens, replaced by an alien, impregnated by an alien story line... Mad as a bag of snakes!

Going by memory, it had every stereotype and architype imaginable. It was a chaotic comedy, but it crossed the line too frequently. It would be deemed as a taboo in the extreme. Couldn't make a series such as that today - the censors would choke on their Cocoa and digestives.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Soap, Series 1, just over a tenner on Amazon, region 2. Other series are much more expensive

Lots of region 1 around but I have no compatibility.

Some complete box sets in region 0 but the websites look well dodgy on further investigation

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
So many, but for old school cutting edge it has to be Married With Children aka The Bundys.
Today, it has to be Two And A Half Men in HiDef and 5.1 for extra goodness.

A special mention for Black Adder and Faulty Towers of course, not forgetting the one that started it all, Soap.

I am sad to admit that I have amassed every episode of all the above, including my pride and joy, the never aired pilot episode of TAAHM with different characters.
Here's wishing Charlie has a swift recovery in hospital.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts