Great SACD

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I've been really enjoying the SACD of 'Just Like You' by Keb' Mo'. Playing the ripped DSD file of the album back via my DSD capable Teac UD-501 DAC.

Most tracks are blues, but there's quite a soulful sound to the album, in particular the title track. This has got to rank as one of my best sounding albums. Close your eyes and it's as though he's playing & singing live in the room. A must own for anyone with a SACD player.

electro69

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried playing it back as a DSD files through your Oppo 105, which now supports DSD file playback from a USB hard drive for example (not through USB link to PC though). Many would be interested to know which is better - my bet would be the Teac.

electro69

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried playing it back as a DSD files through your Oppo 105, which now supports DSD file playback from a USB hard drive for example (not through USB link to PC though). Many would be interested to know which is better - my bet would be the Teac.

However the Oppo can play it in surround if it is a surround SACD that you ripped.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
electro69 said:

However the Oppo can play it in surround if it is a surround SACD that you ripped.

I haven't played the DSD files of this album through the 105, but have tried other dsf files from a USB stick which sounded good. I bought the Teac as I wanted to playback through J. River using all of the flexibility that gives.

In my set-up, the Teac sounds better, the DAC gives a more natural sound compared to the 105 which, whilst articulate, can sound a bit clinical with my speakers and amp. The Teac really has great build quality and internal components for the money, especially as it's £599 at Unilet Sound & Vision at the moment in their sale. I suspect many will overlook it as it's not necessarily a name you'd associate with a DAC.

The Vertere USB lead lent to me when I bought the Teac was the big surprise. I really wasn't expecting any difference when I compared it to my Supra USB lead, but much more open, detailed and deep, tight bass. Couldn't believe what I was hearing, I was really sceptical about spending a lot on a USB lead, but it's stayed!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the Oppo digital out into the Teac into the amp? Compared to the Oppo analogue out into the amp?

I mean playing the sacd.

Just looked that SACD up on Amazon and its £689 used. Think I will stick to the RBCD.

Have you got Keb Mo's first album Keb Mo thats on SACD as well but more reasonable price.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Have you tried the Oppo digital out into the Teac into the amp? Compared to the Oppo analogue out into the amp?

I mean playing the sacd.

That wouldn't work with SACD playback unless the Oppo converted it to PCM first, the Teac can only decode DSD files via it's asynchronous USB input, no SACD disc decoding ability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts