Great classical reproduction system

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to mention about the system I had an occasion to listen to in a demo room. Really great sounding. Playing some church music with an amazing repro. Here are the components:

Marantz PM14 S1 Special Edition + Pioneer SACD PD-70 AE-S + Canton Reference Speakers 9.2 DC

Total cost 5000€. Actually I thought spending extra money on better components from a particular Hi Fi level is just a nuisance but not. I think the sound difference is amazing. Best sound I heard so far.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't comment on that particular system for classical, as I've never heard Canton.

I would encourage you to compare with Amps like Jadis/Unison Research/Sugden/Pathos and Speakers like Harbeth/Spendor Classic and Older Sonus Faber

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Canton speakers... I don't think I've seen them sold on the UK market bar an occasional pair on eBay. Have you only listened to Classical music during that demo?

Yes. I'm very familiar with Canton speakers. As here they are extremely popular in Germany. Really good speakers. The reference series or Vento offer very "clean" and spacious sound. Actually the most important features of Canton is the clear treble, widestage expansion, fast paced and vividness. The reference series are superb. NO comparison to "Heco". Canton are on a different level. Really recommend them.

Yes I heard only classical on that system - but that was enough for me. Actually for the first time I heard what it means to hear classical music on a such a system and how much we are missing from it on our own. Choir voices simply were terrifically realistic alongside a huge widestage. But again I think all components played role.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I can't comment on that particular system for classical, as I've never heard Canton.

I would encourage you to compare with Amps like Jadis/Unison Research/Sugden/Pathos and Speakers like Harbeth/Spendor Classic and Older Sonus Faber

Ok thx for recommendation. But again I do not think Harbeth or Spendor can compete on this field with Canton Reference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stereoman said:
CnoEvil said:

Ok thx for recommendation. But again I do not think Harbeth or Spendor can compete on this field with Canton Reference.

For Classical in particular, the Harbeth Monitor 40.2; or maybe SF Aida if you are looking for really expensive.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For church music I prefer speakers that go clean down to 20hz. For those big organ pipes. And for recreating the acoustics of the venue.

For chamber music / string quartets I like Quad electrostatics a lot.

Any well recorded piece of music that you've never heard before will sound impressive on just about any system it's played on.

insider9

lindsayt said:
Any well recorded piece of music that you've never heard before will sound impressive on just about any system it's played on.

Not sure. Classical thrives on neutrality. Any colouration will show up, of course it's harder to spot on music you don't know.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
lindsayt said:

Not sure. Classical thrives on neutrality. Any colouration will show up, of course it's harder to spot on music you don't know.

IME. Classical thrives on sounding like the real thing. Subjective, I know. I'm not sure Neutrality is necessarily the whole answer.

- Valves/Class A, greatly help.

- Well recorded, is a great help, if not a must.

- Some classical needs speakers to go very deep, while other classical just needs a glorious midrange and a non peaky treble.

- IMO. Any forwardness at all in a system, make Sopranos caterwaul and Violins screech.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Some of that church organ music needs some horse power form a good amplifier I have some Toccata and yes a good set of speakers is recommended my Dali opticon 8s are really good playing back that track .

And I like the 4 seasons and the version I have has quite a lot of violin in that album which you wouldn’t want a bright pair of speakers because it would be like chalk on a blackboard *smile*

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Guys you are right but just wanted to add that it was the first time like I thought I wasn't listening to a Hi Fi but real live music. Simply wow..The synergy of all 3 was unquestionable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stereoman said:
Guys you are right but just wanted to add that it was the first time like I thought I wasn't listening to a Hi Fi but real live music. Simply wow..The synergy of all 3 was unquestionable.

That's the start of the pursuit of Hi-End. It's addictive...and wallet-killing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts