granite bargains from argos

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Good find.

Just measured up, and they're a little big for me. Typical...

They show a different one, but it doesn't say what size it is. I presume the same...??? Anybody got one in their kitchen?

idc

Hi strobo. Morrisons are doing two granite placemats in a pack for £5/£6 something and they measure 30 cm by 20cm. They have thin felt pads for feet and one on top of the other makes for a very solid base.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

What benefit is there to placing equipment on granite slabs?

I have my floorstanders on granite boards and the bass is definitely more controlled.
emotion-21.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

Hi Chebby,

In my home theatre setup, due to my sub being placed on carpet with spikes created huge reverberation throughout the house structure, transmitted by the wodden joists and a great big celler underneath. I place the sub on a granite chopping board from Asda £10 ish and it effectively decoiupled / isolated the sub from the house structure, so the bass is now tight and does not travel (too far) throughout the house.

PS no rs3's at the moment, big change in management at work.....................am holding onto cash until it settles out. Damn recession

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:chebby: What benefit is there to placing equipment on granite slabs?
In my home theatre setup, due to my sub being placed on carpet with spikes created huge reverberation throughout the house structure, transmitted by the wodden joists and a great big celler underneath. I place the sub on a granite chopping board from Asda £10 ish and it effectively decoiupled / isolated the sub from the house structure, so the bass is now tight and does not travel (too far) throughout the house.

The floor in my living room is carpet over solid concrete, presumably I'd have no requirement for an isolating platform for the sub, whenever I get one?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

I've used mine for isolation. For example, I have my amp sitting on a isopod sandwich of granite slabs. Granite also keeps things cooler. It also raises my components a little to hide my wires and looks good!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:True Blue:chebby: What benefit is there to placing equipment on granite slabs?

The floor in my living room is carpet over solid concrete, presumably I'd have no requirement for an isolating platform for the sub, whenever I get one?

Ditto. I assumed that there would be no benefit on a concrete floor

idc

My sensitive to vibration valve amp sits on two granite placemats on the cabinet. It has helped to reduce the high pitched noise caused by vibration from family members opening and closing the cabinet doors and pulling out toys. They also look really cool
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Go to a Builders Merchants, 30cm x 30cm granite, marble, slate. I got 4 Black marble tiles for £5. Just the job, can't say they made any difference, but they do look better than the argos ones. Cheers all.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
before I moved in with my wife I had mission 701s on attacma nexus 6 stands. sand filled. in my large bedroom. carpet over old creaky floor boards top floor of a 3 floor building. i found the bass a bit boomy.

I went to B&Q, and whilst this may have been overkill. bought 2 concrete paving slabs. 9they weighed loads. could only carry them one at a time up the stairs. anyway, massive improvement immediately. they came with me when i moved in to her flat, as my hi-fi was in the spare room with sofa bed.

but then we moved in here, the house. they had to go and I immediatley disliked the sound. sold the stands and speakers. got cheap floorstanders and was put off using the hi-fi much for years. (but I suppose it looked better dear.LOL)

This time round, Im getting the AVi speakers which if anything have a very tight bass, so im hoping i wont need slabs, or granite boards. But if I get a sniff that those floorboard are booming .....................
emotion-50.gif

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Aha ! a granite debate instead of cable wars. Ok then ,chew on this guys. Surely loudspeaker manufacturers would sell their wares complete with gravestones if they make such a profound difference.Although,if my memory serves me correct,there is one speaker manufacturer who makes their cabs from granite !!. dont think i'd like to hump them around though. I can understand various types of isolation under amps etc (mainly because most of them are of a flimsy tin box construction that vibrate if you just look at em,and im not just talking about 300 quid jobbies either ). Food for thought
emotion-2.gif

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
I did use a granite chopping board underneath my CD player a while ago, can't say that I noticed much change soundwise, maybe a little bit of brightening or glare. I thought that adding mass was supposed to cause a slight bump in the lower midrange and not isolate because you are just slowing down and storing energy...

Anyway I have used Symposium Rollerblocks in the past, and they did make quite an improvement to my ears, especially in terms of dynamics and detail. Had them sitting in a draw for about six months because I had my doubts that they make any difference at all.

e

idc

floyd droid:Aha ! a granite debate instead of cable wars. Ok then ,chew on this guys. Surely loudspeaker manufacturers would sell their wares complete with gravestones if they make such a profound difference.......

I'm sure Jamo produce a speaker with a granite plynth and B&O use a granite stand for their BeoSound 5. But I have wondered if other types of stone would sound better.........................

Anyway, if you have creaky, squint floorboards a much better solution to granite is eight philips head screws through the carpet and into the floor board. Then rest the spikes on the screws. Nickel plated screws sound better than brass.....................

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Mr Mucus:Go to a Builders Merchants, 30cm x 30cm granite, marble, slate. I got 4 Black marble tiles for £5. Just the job, can't say they made any difference, but they do look better than the argos ones. Cheers all.

I'm guessing you mean Wickes, among others, MM? I was looking on their site the other day. I plan on trying some of their slate tiles beneath my speakers, but I want to check thickness and surface quality before plumping for them. I'll report back my findings when I've got some.

I could do with something in the 50-40cm size range to go beneath my rack to protect the gear from the sub (which is far too close, but it won't go anywhere else). I'm wondering how easy the granite cutting boards are to cut. My bro-in-law has diamond cutting disccs for his angle-grinder... Hmmm... Something for the weeked methinks.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
im not sure about tiles guys. i imagine any benefit is to do with the sheer mass of the object. and weighing down on the floorboards etc. tiles can be chopped in half with a smack of the edge of a trowel.

A

Anonymous

I messed on and made a shallow box to drop the tiles in seperated by thin rubber blocks, as I said before they look ok don't sound any different.They take all the knocks from the hoover. The tiles are 10mm thick. The surface of the marble ones I got are very shiny and veined (reminds me of something else), Cheers all.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The benefit of a granite or stone base is not only in it's weight, but also in it's footprint. If the base is only a little bigger than the speakers footprint, there won't be much benefit unless the floor it is sitting on is badly uneven and the speaker normally wobbles. With a small footprint, there is still the possibility of the base itself moving, which negates it's purpose. Only a base with a much larger footprint than the speaker will show a worthwhile difference. It should benefit those with very bouncy suspended floors - we could do with some for our demo rooms as our whole building is more flexible than a world class gymnast.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Just bought a pack of these - http://www.wickes.co.uk/Grey-Slate-Tiles/invt/235443 - and I can definitely recommend them. I have one beneath each speaker, and the difference has to be heard to be believed.

My speakers are either side of the gas fire, but being an old house, there is a stone hearth beneath the fire, but it doesn't extend to the speaker locations. The floorboards around the hearth are pretty ropey and uneven (despite numerous attempts to plane off the high spots), and the whole floor has been sheeted over with hardboard, which I think is what was killing the bass before (the speaker spikes connecting with the hardboard, but not necessarily the floorboards - knowing how hardboard likes to take its own shape regardless of any fixings used *-) ). Anyway, with one under each speaker all is good. I'll try doubling them up shortly, and see if things improve any more.

I'll try refilling the stands again. When I filled them before it killed the soundstage, so I emptied them out sharpish. Maybe now they've got something more stable to rest on it might improve things.

A

Anonymous

I recently purchased these:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9273469&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372012}%2fcategories%3C{9372019}&fh_search=granite&fh_refview=search&ts=1245843709145&isSearch=false

I placed these on each MDF shelf of my DIY TNT Flexy rack with bits of blu tac in each corner and then placed my components on top.

They are a good fit for my MF X series components but may be too small for standard size components however B&Q also do other pieces of granite for fire hearths etc which are fairly cheap and can be cut to size if you have the tools.

I also placed full size concrete slabs between my wooden floor and the speakers which have spikes.

The result has been a much improved soundstage, more clarity and a much tighter bass.

This is a no brainer cheap upgrade if ever I saw one.

btw. I have read that slate is not a good material for this type of use. Marble is apparently better but granite is best.

- jason

A

Anonymous

True Blue:I also use a granite chopping board for isolation purposes between a sharp knife and my kitchen worktop
emotion-4.gif

Quality.

I've got 2 under my CD player and 1 under the amp. Used to have 2 of them under the speakers but I'm currently 'experimenting' without......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts