Graham Slee Novo vs Little Dot Mk III

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Just wondered if anyone can offer an, albeit subjective, comparison of these headphone amps? I have had a Graham Slee Novo for a while now and have been happy with it but keep hearing ('scuse the pun) that the LD Valve amps are a much warmer sound? I have an opportunity to get my hands on an LD Mk III if I choose to but would appreciate any views as I know there are a couple of LD users on here.

I'd be using either with BeyerDynamic DT990 (250 ohm) and Denon AHD7000 for rock music with bit of classical chucked in now and then.

Thanks in advance guys.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I would think you'd get better results with a valve amp with the brighter or more aggressive headphones. The Denon doesn't look that way from the test results, but you could judge better from your own experience.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Paulq, I'm very happy with the sound of my LD3, which I've had for a couple of years, but that sound is, if you have a view on these matters, conditioned by my system (check my sig) to some degree. I don't know whether you'll have a chance of an audition before buying, but if the price is right you could buy the LD3, and do your own comparison. With the LD3 tube rolling can help change the sound to your liking, which can't be done with electronic amps. The LD3 also is flexible enough to handle almost any resistance, I believe, so covers most phones. I'd love to try some AHD-7000s, just to see, but.....

The Novo was an amp which I considered, but plumped for the lure of a warm sound, which I love. Often wonder what I missed, though.

I'm not a bass freak, so my system has enough for me, my music ranges from classical, big band, jazz, prog, rock, some metal, elctronic, and I get a great mid range, clear highs, a very immersive sound, accurate placement in the sound stage, good depth, a more accurate sound than through my speakers.

Hope this helps.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Paul, So you got your D7000's. How are you doing with them? Apart from being on the look-out for an amp :p

I got a Beyerdynamic, but it was a DT880 and the 600 ohm version. I was listening to them through the Yulong D100 mkII combined with a Shonyun SH-301 pro amp all evening and damn it sounds lovely. Also a fantastic combo with the D7000s :).

I wouldn't think that a tube amp would make a good partnership with bass heavy headphones like your two, although to be fair I have never heard one. I have a couple of warm sounding amps and I don't like what it does to the Denons.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi quadpatch

Yep I got them the day before I went on holiday which was exciting and frustrating as no sooner had I got them than I was leaving them
smiley-cry.gif
. All is now well and I have to say that they sound utterly fantastic through the Graham Slee Novo; as of course do my long standing DT990's.

I am more curious than anything about the valve amp as I have heard so much about them. I think there's a bit of me that likes their aesthetics as well but that's not a good enough reason to buy one. I guess I just need to be sure before electing to ditch the novo in favour of one as that amp is really impressive.

Really glad you took the plunge - sounds like you have no regrets - great move :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts