Grado SR80i/SR125i /Denon AH-D2000 ???????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My Dad has asked for some Grado SR80i headphones for Christmas. Since I have had a pretty good year at work I have a little more in budget to treat him with. I am looking for some advice on any accessories that I can add to the present or if I should splash out a bit more on some higher end ones as mentioned above. I don't mind spending more aslong as it is worth it. He will be using them for practicing guitar and listening to music through a very old school music centre.

Thanks in advance for any help.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The Grado's and the Denon's are in different worlds with reference to there sound presentation.

Here is a little review from someone who has both the Grado sr80's and Denon AH-D2000's

Grado Vs Denon

As you can read he likes both but prefers the Grado's however, I have owned Grado's and a pair of Denon AH-D5000's and would say I definitely prefer the Denon's. It is going to be subjective to who you ask and what sound signature they prefer, I'm guessing that your dad has asked for the Grado's because he has already heard them. If that is the case the decision is easy, if he is basing the decision on reviews such as WHF only he may be very disappointed upon hearing them.

Something from the Sennheiser or beyerdynamic range would be more 'neutral' sounding headphone's.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
As you can read he likes both but prefers the Grado's however, I have owned Grado's and a pair of Denon AH-D5000's and would say I definitely prefer the Denon's.

Hmmm well after having my Denon's replaced because they had a fault....and the new ones for some bizarre reason not sounding anywhere as near bass heavy....I may have to change my opinion on that. At the end of the day there is a fair price difference between the Grado SR 80i and Denon AHD2000..... But I enjoy listening to both pairs.

The Grado's are a very detailed and forward headphone....whereas the Denon's are more rounded and certainly have more Bass.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Ladydasher. I don't know if you're aware of Alessandro headphones, bu they are an American company which takes Grado SR80i headphones direct from Grado, and reworks them. I have some MS1's which I use regularly, and are more smooth, not quite as "brash" perhaps, as my SR80 (not i), but, depending on the exchange rate you may find that they are a bit cheaper than the Grados, and well worth considering. Mine came with pads which sit on the ear, but I changed them for Grado foam rings which sit around my ears, and which reveal more high frequencies than the pads.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
If I compare both sets, bemahler1, I see that the body of the Alessandros is deeper, with a deeper chamber extending beyond the headband mounting point? I believe they also improve/modify the diaphragm. Are you using your Alessandros with the supplied on-ear pad, or did you swap them for the rings of your SR80s, as I did?

A

Anonymous

I have looked into the Alessandro headphones, am i corect in asumeing taht the MS1, is taken from the Grado SR125i ??

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, Sam, they're modified SR80i's, rather than 125i's. Also, while I was in HMV the other day I listened to some AH-D2000's and was quite impressed, but I didn't have a reference source - I forgot to take my own player. It may be that my ears are nearly 68, so not as good as younger chaps, but I enjoy the clarity of my MS1's, with the wide sound stage and airiness, and the bass is "accurate", and as I'd expect it to be, rather than over-emphasised. I'd love to compare the Denon AH-D5000's, which are said to be quite a bit better than the 2000's, but they're a bit expensive. And as I was given some Senns for Christmas, it's a bit too soon to buy some more. Especially as I love my MS1s.

John Duncan

If he's going to practice guitar with them, I wouldn't get the Grados -uch as I love mine, they're so leaky that you'll be wondering whee the wasp in the jam jar is, and suggesting he try mixolydian over that chord progression...

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I'm with you there, JD. (quick Google of mixolydian; read, read, no wiser, but suspect discordant sound? There's more to music than meets the ear). Grado's might well be too revealing for guitar monitoring, esecially for Sweet Child of Mine. That's the main problem with open phones, and comparable closed ones are several hunderd pounds more. I wonder what phones LadyDasher's Dad got for Christmas, and how he got on with them?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts