Grado SR325x are ordered

So, the Focal Elegia go back tomorrow.
I’ve spent several hours trying to decide on which headphones to replace them with.
I’ve gone for the Grado SR325x which seem to get good reviews, so hopefully these will be alright for me.
i look forward to getting them and will report back once I’ve tested them out.

Reactions: Al ears

WayneKerr

Good luck with the Grado's. I have a pair of 225's and quite like the sound signature, what I dislike is the comfort factor, I can only wear them for 1 hour max before they have to come off. I find the discomfort is heightened if you wear specs. My go to hp's are Sennheiser or Shure, nice comfy pads on these and can wear them for hours. Just my opinion, yours may differ.

Headphones have arrived, I’ve stuck them into the marantz amp, just to put some tunes through them for an hour or two. For the money, they seem alright. i’ll hook them up to the AK jr and see how they sound on there. Definitely not as luxuriously built as the focal, but there’s no point being well built and sounding like crap 🤣🤣
If they don’t end up being for me (sound wise) then I’ll happily stick with the Beyerdynamic buds. They impressed me for what I paid for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
Possibly the shortest time I’ve needed to decide if something is for me or not. The answer is not! They don’t stay on my ears, don’t feel comfortable and don’t sound like I want, so they will go back.
think I’ve had enough of headphones for now.i will stick with the beyers.

I really don’t understand what the sound signature is on these and the focals.
didn’t like them at all.
maybe my speakers have spoiled me 🤷‍♂️
Some headphones certainly take a while to get used to, it's a whole new world from freestanding speakers.
Try the Shure headphones I suggested. I loved them but that's not to say you will as well.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Friesiansam

Possibly the shortest time I’ve needed to decide if something is for me or not. The answer is not! They don’t stay on my ears, don’t feel comfortable and don’t sound like I want, so they will go back.
No point wasting time umming and ahing about it. Took me a month to reject Beyerdynamic T5P Gen 2s. Gave them a fair chance, is how I like to characterise it...

Reactions: EvShrug
You don’t think they need breaking-in then? I’m not suggesting they do, and Grado is quite a bright sound. But for me that’s way better than the ‘loudness’ sound so many have.

Disclaimer : I’ve not enjoyed headphones much since my original Sennheiser HD414 about fifty years ago!

EvShrug

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
So, those Beyer’s… I think you mentioned that they were £7? So, are they earbuds, the kind that sit on the folds of your ear but don’t go inside your ear canal like earplugs do?

If so, earbuds inherently don’t reproduce sub bass frequencies well, plus Beyer’s are typically bright headphones with louder upper mids and treble. I don’t know what your speakers are (and it’s hard to audition many speakers as just a typical amateur audiophile), but maybe you just like a little extra emphasis in the highs? And maybe you would enjoy a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones, like the DT 990 or DT 1990. They also happen to have a reputation for being comfortable headphones, with plush velour earpads (unlike the leather Elegia or foam on-ear Grados) and a nice firm build quality. Check What Hi-Fi for a review, and maybe see if there is a nearby shop where you can try and buy locally? If you like your speakers and you moderate for What Hi-Fi, I have to imagine you like music enough to have a better experience than $8 earbuds.

The Beyerdynamic I bought for £7 were a clearance item. Their normal price was £75.
they are the inner ear ones , there’s loads of bass from them, and the sound is just how I like it.
I know you generally get what you pay for, but in this instance, it didn’t quite work out that way.

Friesiansam

So, those Beyer’s… I think you mentioned that they were £7? So, are they earbuds, the kind that sit on the folds of your ear but don’t go inside your ear canal like earplugs do?

If so, earbuds inherently don’t reproduce sub bass frequencies well, plus Beyer’s are typically bright headphones with louder upper mids and treble. I don’t know what your speakers are (and it’s hard to audition many speakers as just a typical amateur audiophile), but maybe you just like a little extra emphasis in the highs? And maybe you would enjoy a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones, like the DT 990 or DT 1990. They also happen to have a reputation for being comfortable headphones, with plush velour earpads (unlike the leather Elegia or foam on-ear Grados) and a nice firm build quality. Check What Hi-Fi for a review, and maybe see if there is a nearby shop where you can try and buy locally? If you like your speakers and you moderate for What Hi-Fi, I have to imagine you like music enough to have a better experience than $8 earbuds.
Elegia earpads are covered in microfibre cloth, as is the underside of the headband pad. Very soft and feel nice against my slaphead.

Quite possibly. It took me ages to “get”the Triangle sound after having Focal speakers for 6 or 7 years. But now, that’s the sound signature I like, and want from my gear. And I suppose that’s what the little Beyerdynamic do, but with a bit more bass. But they get the balance of the frequency range right too. So, I’m happy to stick with them.

I find the discomfort is heightened if you wear specs. My go to hp's are Sennheiser or Shure, nice comfy pads on these and can wear them for hours. Just my opinion, yours may differ.
You’re quite right, I’m sure, because we all have different shaped bonces and lugholes! Comfort is just as important as SQ.

I’ve just taken a gamble on some Oppo PM3 which I hope to collect tomorrow. We shall see how I manage with them! They’re NOS - unused, but must be at least what, three years old?

Reactions: Friesiansam

Gray

:ROFLMAO: Mate, if you're gonna post here then at least make it original, all you've done is cut and paste what I said in post#2 above.
Unbelievable.
WTF would make someone do something so stupid? (Some motive behind it?)
Hopefully it will be removed - I requested that when reporting.

P.S.
If you've made a genuine mistake in your first posting attempt #sergedest I apologise for calling you stupid - otherwise you are 👍

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Unbelievable.
WTF would make someone do something so stupid? (Some motive behind it?)
Hopefully it will be removed - I requested that when reporting.

P.S.
If you've made a genuine mistake in your first posting attempt #sergedest I apologise for calling you stupid - otherwise you are 👍
(y)It's okay, Gray, I found it hilarious and cheeky :)

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts