grado ps1000, Graham slee ultra linear, cd player??

killerkeeley

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi there, i have recently bought the GS ultra linear and ps1000 headphones and am very pleased with them.... i have been using apple lossless through, you guess it, my ipod and more often an old marantz cd6000se (i think) cd player. I think im due an upgrade to say the least!! however i have no idea on what to pair with this set up... i have been thinking of the audiolab 8800cd cd player ( only as there is a good offer on it). However i also feel that the rest of my set up deserves something more. Basically any suggestions? , will there be a big difference between a £500+ and £1000+? also how much would people recommend spending on cables, overall im looking more for a recommended spend

Thanks!

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi KK, welcome to the forums. I would have to say there is a big difference between a 500pound cd player and a 1000 one. The more you spend on your source, obviously the better it will be. The source will play the 2nd biggest part on ur systems sound quality, with 1st being ur headphones of course. As for cables, look to spend about 10 percent of your budget on them.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I,ve heard anyone with a pair of PS1000's need to be looking at a CD Player or DAC at least in the £1500 range!

regards danny

Cutlass

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I use a Naim CDX2 CD player with an XPS2 powerssupply into a Naim Headline headphone amp powered by a Naim HICAP power supply for my Grado GS1000is, All through Naim cables. With Grados, I've found the better the source, the better they sound, with the top models not sounding as good as the more economical models using iPod or a notebook. Go for the best you can afford, Naim stuff seems to work well with Grados. Hope this helps.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I would love the chance to demo either the GS1000i or PS1000's just to see what they sounded like.

I used to own some RS1i's but i just could not justify the price gap between them and my SR60i's, and i found the RS1i's slighlty uncomfortable too, but i have to admit the most intense enjoyment i have had listening to music has been through headphones, no doubt.

regards danny

Cutlass

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Danny

I first bought a pair of RS2s and always thought that they were a little 'dark' but it wasn't until I tried my friends SR325sis that I realised I was right. The latter pushed detail to the front at the expense of bass response. My friend said he thought the RS2s had the detail but he listened to volumes much higher than I could stand. The GS1000is were 'the best of both worlds' in my opinion.

Best wishes

Paddy

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Paddy

The GS1000i's don't seem to have the best following in the States do they?

I've also heard that the GS1000i are a departure from Grado from their normal sound signiture, is this true in your opinion?

Is it also true that listening to the GS1000i's is like being place at the back of a concert hall? the reason i love grado's is because they seem to place you on a imaginary stage with the band so you really feel the music!

sorry for all the questions there but i'm really thinking about buying a pair someday.

regards danny

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome indeed to the forum.

The Grado PS1000 and Graham Slee Ultra Linear amp is an excellent combo - with your budget for a source you could consider the Roksan Kandy K2 (Henley just reduced the RRP on this from £899 to £749) or the new Audiolab 8200CD if you can get one.

Either will leave some money spare for cables - Chord Company's new Cadenza cable is a good match for either.

killerkeeley

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Wow, thanks for all the posts!! it confirmed my suspicions. I have temporarily got hold of a marantz cd6000ose which I am more than pleased with. These headphones are astounding and have just got better and better as I'm breaking them in during normal use (which is quite a lot when you have this clarity). I was thinking of the audiolab 8200cd i believe it also has a usb input which will be god for my flacs when I'm feeling lazy. I probably wont be getting them from audio affair as I was disappointed to have to wait 2 weeks to receive an in stock cable and have my headphones knocking around a warehouse all weekend as you failed to dispatch them for Saturday delivery as I had requested.GREAT SERVICE!!

Anyway thanks for all the responses they were very helpful! Would love a Cyrus cd player but I am put off by the disc loading problems and they are possibly a bit bright for the PS1000? (do not know how I have come to that conclusion though!)

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the wait for the cable - I'm sure we could make up for it in some way if you give us a call
emotion-1.gif

IAG released the 8200 range to those with first back orders in December/early January so there are stocks available. After listening to this myself with the Grado PS1000/Graham Slee Ultra Linear combo, I'd recommend it over the other choices but it's always worth an audition first if you can
emotion-21.gif

Cutlass

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Danny

Sorry for the delay in replying to your questions but I have been busy trying to earn enough to feed my hi-fi addiction. I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the following of the GS1000is in the States so cannot comment on this. However, in answer to your 2nd question, in my opinion these headphones are very Grado just more pronounced and refined. Personally I find that listening to the GS1000is the sound stage is wider than my experience with other headphones and is certainly not like being at the back of a concert hall. I think your analogy of being on stage with the musicians is probably accurate. I live in Bucks, you are more than welcome to come and have a listen if it's convenient. If you post your email address maybe we can arrange something.

Best wishes

Paddy

trebor

May 4, 2011
Visit site
r

Interesting comment re Audio Affair. I too received very poor service. Visited their store in Birmingham with £2500 to spend, only to receive insults for having the nerve to turn up before the store opened! Not a pleasant experience and I took my hard earned elsewhere.

trebor

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the PS1000's and they sound terrific with my Cyrus CD8 SE. No problems with the loading mechanism on my (later) model, although I did have an earlier edition which did.

TRENDING THREADS