Gotham Interconnects - are they any good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:
Thank you all for your comments. I have ordered a pair (£13.50 inclusive of postage) and I'm going to be putting it up against my new Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and a QED Silver spiral.

Best regards all.

They are decent cables and worthy of around £40 alternatives. They won't touch the Chameleon Silver Plus - I've recently downgraded from Anthem 2 to the Chameleon and I'm happy (the £130 profit was nice too!). Gothams are similar to Cobra in my opinion - so great value for money but don't expect too much - their boast, also mentioned on this post - that they are a match for £100 cables is not accurate.

Back to why the mag does not review them. They are not packaged. They look fairly amateurish (gold markings in pen to show the supposed direction of connection). They don't have a bricks and mortar establishment - it would take time and therefore money to investigate them. No one knows if they are paying taxes for instance. It's much safer for the mag to review products from "proper" manufacturers. It doesn't stop punters like us buying off ebay.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:fr0g:Nothing to do with back handers, but maybe an excercise in self-preservation?

Nice save, but still questioning objectivity, I think. I just think that there are some products which don't fit with what the majority of readers want - I mean, Gotham are made by one bloke in South East London, I wouldn't want to test his QA process too hard - same for Stanley........

Nope... I am sure WHF would test either if they were sent a test set or unit... But why go out of their way to test them? It's not what they do, and it could potentially damage the business.

To be honest, I don't want them to. These products are superb value, are spread by word of mouth, and are a treat to those who make the effort to find out about them.

I wonder if a GAC-1 would remain at a tenner if it got an honest 5-star review? he'd either not be able to supply demand, or hike prices in order to increase production. Same with Beresford... Although I am certain there is a version made in bulk, in the far east somewhere...

*edit, and I bet most readers WOULD want a ten quid cable that was as good as a 50 quid cable!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:I can live without all the flash packaging, websites, shiny (and mostly unnecessary) metal work, cryogenic treatment, cables that cannot be formed into corners or drape behind equipment because they are too stiff and connectors that are so tight they put the mechanical integrity of the equipment at risk because of the force required to plug/unplug them.

It just needs to conduct tiny electrical signals, make a good connection, shield from RF and not corrode and be aurally transparent. (ie not add traits of it's own to the sound.)

I have even seen interconnects that are sold in satin lined presentation cases as if they were a Swiss chronometer or Diamond necklace. (And priced similarly!). Thats when it all gets a bit... err ....sick.

I'm impressed. It's taken almost 2 pages before we get a cable basher!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Gerrardasnails:I'm impressed. It's taken almost 2 pages before we get a cable basher!

No so. Cables are essential and good ones even more so.

Apologies chebby, I thought you were one of them!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:chebby:Gerrardasnails:I'm impressed. It's taken almost 2 pages before we get a cable basher!

No so. Cables are essential and good ones even more so.

Apologies chebby, I thought you were one of them!

He's right though...

The best cables ought really to be called 'the LEAST worst' cables.

A

Anonymous

I own relatively expensive cabling, but I must say, ive never been able to tell the difference between it and cheaper alternatives in proper blind testing.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

Eh?

Simple. An analogue cables job is to tranfer analogue information from one part of the system to another.
No cable at all is the best. The best interconnect cable will get the signal to the amp as closely matching what the CD player outputs. the best speaker cable the same to the speakers.
So no analogue cable is a perfect transport of analogue data. So all cables are bad, the best are simply the least bad.

I personally believe a mid priced, decently constructed cable will provide 99% that of the most esoteric...(I may be wrong)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:fr0g:[So all cables are bad, the best are simply the least bad.
Hmm, least bad isn't particularly good english though is it!

Now you're picking nits... I said least worst first time around. :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
al7478:does that mean least bad is more betterer, innit?

sorry.

Yep. It's exactly the same with political parties...

A

Anonymous

The cables arrived this morning (next day delivery). First visual impressions : the cables are thin and relatively scrawny with directional markings drawn in with a gold pen. Looked pretty light weight.

First sound impressions: Surprise, surprise - these actually sounded good straight out of the box, or rather, envelope. Tested them briefly with my tuner and cd player.

First verdict impressions: Cost vs Benefit = Superb Buy. No brainer.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:
The cables arrived this morning (next day delivery). First visual impressions : the cables are thin and relatively scrawny with directional markings drawn in with a gold pen. Looked pretty light weight.

First sound impressions: Surprise, surprise - these actually sounded good straight out of the box, or rather, envelope. Tested them briefly with my tuner and cd player.

First verdict impressions: Cost vs Benefit = Superb Buy. No brainer.

Where in your kit are you using the Gotham EvilWolf? I have the same cables as you, I use my Gotham to connect my pre out fronts from receiver to stereo amp.

A

Anonymous

Hiya mate. I'm using it on my tuner to the amp. I've decided to keep the Gothams and have put the QED Silver Spirals up for sale on E-Bay.

It cannot replace the Chord Chameleon Silver Plus though, as you rightly pointed out. Good enough for the tuner though and figured I'd get some money back on the QED's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts