Gotham Interconnects - are they any good?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone here with an experience to share (good or bad) on these interconnects? These are going for £12.00 for a 1 metre pair and I've read quite a few good reviews on them. I still find it hard to believe that it's as good as it's claimed to be though, considering the price!

Cheers!

John Duncan

I use them between my Primares and from RPM5 to 640p to amp - couldn't tell a difference between them and Chord Cobra2. I'm sure £100+ interconnects would beat them but if you were thinking of spending less than that then they're a bargain.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Same here, using between Arcam CD192, Audiolab 8000Q & 2x Rotel RB971 biamped, couldn't tell any difference between Gotham and Chord Cobra 2 that I was using

A

Anonymous

Looks like WHF should raid the petty cash, buy some, and give us a full review.
emotion-1.gif

jules.

John Duncan

jules153:Looks like WHF should raid the petty cash, buy some, and give us a full review.
emotion-1.gif

jules.

Have a feeling they might not fit some of the WHF criteria on general availability and money back, but wouldn't swear on it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:jules153:Looks like WHF should raid the petty cash, buy some, and give us a full review.
emotion-1.gif

jules.

Have a feeling they might not fit some of the WHF criteria on general availability and money back, but wouldn't swear on it.

Available to anyone with an internet connection. And since when is money back a prerequisit? (And so long as you don't order a custom length, then the law gives you the right anyway)

I suspect it's more to do with them seriously undercutting the high street prices BECAUSE they are ebay only. I imagine a 5 star Gotham GAC-1 review would seriously affect sales of many of the high street brands.

I may of course be completely wrong ;)

John Duncan

fr0g:JohnDuncan:jules153:Looks like WHF should raid the petty cash, buy some, and give us a full review.
emotion-1.gif

jules.

Available to anyone with an internet connection. And since when is money back a prerequisit? (And so long as you don't order a custom length, then the law gives you the right anyway)

I suspect it's more to do with them seriously undercutting the high street prices BECAUSE they are ebay only. I imagine a 5 star Gotham GAC-1 review would seriously affect sales of many of the high street brands.

I may of course be completely wrong ;)

I think Clare mentioned the money back thing a while back (might have been in conjunction with Allessandro headphone - was something from the States anyway).

A

Anonymous

I dont think you will find any negative comments anywhere. From what I can see, everyone rates them very highly....including me. On the price thing.......this is a very rare case of getting more than you paid for based on comparison with other makes. Still not sure? try a couple and if you dont like them, send them back. Bet you don't though.

A

Anonymous

fr0g:I suspect it's more to do with them seriously undercutting the high street prices BECAUSE they are ebay only. I imagine a 5 star Gotham GAC-1 review would seriously affect sales of many of the high street brands. I may of course be completely wrong ;)

Why whould WHF be so worried about cable companies revenues? They review comparitively, so if something provides performance to match a £100 for only £15 then it surely would be praised accordingly.

I'd imagine money back would be a pre-requisite if you cant actually hear the product before you buy (ie eBay only sales).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:
fr0g:I suspect it's more to do with them seriously undercutting the high street prices BECAUSE they are ebay only. I imagine a 5 star Gotham GAC-1 review would seriously affect sales of many of the high street brands. I may of course be completely wrong ;)

Why whould WHF be so worried about cable companies revenues? They review comparitively, so if something provides performance to match a £100 for only £15 then it surely would be praised accordingly.

I'd imagine money back would be a pre-requisite if you cant actually hear the product before you buy (ie eBay only sales).

Call it a hunch.

And as I said, the law gives you 7 days if you buy standard lengths.

A

Anonymous

Replaced a Van den Hul the Name with Gotham interconnect, because the latter is more detailed and neutral in presentation.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:thfcwestlower:Why whould WHF be so worried about cable companies revenues? They review comparitively, so if something provides performance to match a £100 for only £15 then it surely would be praised accordingly.
Call it a hunch.
Ahh, the old backhanders accusation raises its ugly head again...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:jules153:Looks like WHF should raid the petty cash, buy some, and give us a full review.
emotion-1.gif

jules.

Have you tried buying Isonodes!!
emotion-1.gif

Seriously lots of their accessory products tested are web only buys. Those wooden speaker stands I think ...

And most sellers of speaker cable won't refund because it has to be cut to length.

jules.

John Duncan

professorhat:fr0g:thfcwestlower:Why whould WHF be so worried about cable companies revenues? They review comparitively, so if something provides performance to match a £100 for only £15 then it surely would be praised accordingly.
Call it a hunch.

Yeah, ignore it or it'll just get messy.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:fr0g:thfcwestlower:Why whould WHF be so worried about cable companies revenues? They review comparitively, so if something provides performance to match a £100 for only £15 then it surely would be praised accordingly.
Call it a hunch.

With so many positive feedbacks from forum members, what do you think is their main objection? Having ordered them from overseas, I see no problem whatsoever for what hifi to take a punt

John Duncan

I don't think there has been one officially, but eBay-only cables aren't really the ethos of the magazine, are they? Most readers are first-time or occasional buyers (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) and want to buy from a shop.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:I don't think there has been one officially, but eBay-only cables aren't really the ethos of the magazine, are they? Most readers are first-time or occasional buyers (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) and want to buy from a shop.

You have a point there. I might also be worth considering some cables in budget systems are not being chosen for their transparency, but for masking a 'fault' in the presentation. I'm speaking from experience here, for example: Van den Hul tames bright treble. I still don't think it's right ,though, to approach system matching this way.

John Duncan

Agreed - I have become of the view that you should buy some good (insert definition) cables and presume that they're good enough, then buy a system that sounds good using those cables. Though my friend swears by the interconnect that cost him more than my amp and player put together - maybe at this rarefied level there are genuine gains to be had, but in most real-world systems the gains are outwieghed by the potential for becoming too anally retentive. IMO, obviously.

A

Anonymous

With all the positive comments on Gotham cables,from forum members do you really need a WHF comparison test?

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your comments. I have ordered a pair (£13.50 inclusive of postage) and I'm going to be putting it up against my new Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and a QED Silver spiral.

Best regards all.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Call it a hunch.

Please don't put words into my mouth (or indeed words into my fingers).
It isn't what I meant at all.

I think it is more a wish not to upset the apple cart. Gotham are one of a few online brands that beat the named brands comfortably on a VFM basis.
The same could be levelled at the Beresford DAC. For £120 you get a very highly specced DAC, with a decent digital lead, that will turn almost any cheap transport (including a cheap DVD player), into a competent budget- mid range player, as well as having connections free for other sources, dvd, consoles, computers...
Again, I wonder if a 5 star review would actually dent the sales of more traditional gear...

Nothing to do with back handers, but maybe an excercise in self-preservation?

On the other hand I may be completely wrong.

John Duncan

fr0g:Nothing to do with back handers, but maybe an excercise in self-preservation?

Nice save, but still questioning objectivity, I think. I just think that there are some products which don't fit with what the majority of readers want - I mean, Gotham are made by one bloke in South East London, I wouldn't want to test his QA process too hard - same for Stanley........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts