Gotham GAC-1

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
A few on this forum have praised the Gotham GAC interconnect. Had a quick scout on ebay and £12 per metre is the going rate. Is this good value, and is the quality all it's made to be ?

A

Anonymous

Yes, definitely. Beating the van den Hul "The Name" interconnect with ease. It's letting through far more musical details AND it's more neutral than the VDH. It's far cheaper too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just received one myself. Sweet detailed sounding cable with so so bass. Steal at the price really. Also try Maplin's own at about a tenner. More drive, better bass but slightly less refined treble.

A

Anonymous

I really have to try a Gotham and see what all the fuss is about. I'll test it against a cobra 3, VDH silver jubilee. Should be interesting :)

A

Anonymous

Had mine on last few days, very happy with it.

Sound is good as is product quality. Seller was very helpful and delivery was 24hrs.

I got a 1/2 meter in red, bargain at a tenner.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Got two pairs last week and very pleased with them. They increased the bass and improved the midrange and treble IMHO. At £12 each it's a bit of a no brainer really. You could try them and if you don't like them you have not lost a lot of money.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Solomon1:Yes, definitely. Beating the van den Hul "The Name" interconnect with ease. It's letting through far more musical details AND it's more neutral than the VDH. It's far cheaper too.

Come on guys, let's be realistic. Yes the Gotham cables are brilliant value for money but they are not easily better than £50 cables. I've used VDH The Name interconnects and I would say that the Gothams are by no way embarrassed by them. I played around with my Gothams and Chord Cobra 3 and Crimson. I found that they were of similar quality which for the difference in price is excellent. My main interconnect (I use the Gotham to link my receiver and my amp) quite rightly blows the Gotham out of the water.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I compared a £16 Soundstable made Van Damme balanced XLR interconnect against a £70 QED one and I couldn't tell the difference in all honesty.

The Gotham IMO is no better or worse than my most expensive cable which I got years ago , a Cambridge Audio Silver spirit 50cm for £50, and is 1m long, and cost me £12 including shipping to Sweden.

I'll stick with the well made budget cables...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:I compared a £16 Soundstable made Van Damme balanced XLR interconnect against a £70 QED one and I couldn't tell the difference in all honesty.

The Gotham IMO is no better or worse than my most expensive cable which I got years ago , a Cambridge Audio Silver spirit 50cm for £50, and is 1m long, and cost me £12 including shipping to Sweden.

I'll stick with the well made budget cables...

Fair enough. I think that going beyond £50 cables you get a better performance.

A

Anonymous

I recently did a blind test with a couple of friends and the Gotham couldn't compare with the VDH D102 or "the Second".

I thought I'd do some more playing around so I've acquired the following interconnects for some longer term reviewing:

1) Black Rhodium Illusion Diva DCT (not the standard Illusion) (c. £135 new)

2) Black Rhodium Opera DCT (c. £250)

3) Cheapy freebie no-nonsense ICs

4) Chord Chameleon 2 (c. £32 new)

5) Standard Profigold (from previous test) (c. £5 new)

6) Gotham GAC-1 (burned in from mate since i've sent mine back) (c. £10)

7) IXOS XHA305 (c. £17)

8) IXOS XHA 215 (c.£15)

9) Black Rhodium Rhythm (c.£35)

I'll add a few more and let you know how I get on.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Aeroadster:
I recently did a blind test with a couple of friends and the Gotham couldn't compare with the VDH D102 or "the Second".

I thought I'd do some more playing around so I've acquired the following interconnects for some longer term reviewing:

1) Black Rhodium Illusion Diva DCT (not the standard Illusion) (c. £135 new)

2) Black Rhodium Opera DCT (c. £250)

3) Cheapy freebie no-nonsense ICs

4) Chord Chameleon 2 (c. £32 new)

5) Standard Profigold (from previous test) (c. £5 new)

6) Gotham GAC-1 (burned in from mate since i've sent mine back) (c. £10)

7) IXOS XHA305 (c. £17)

8) IXOS XHA 215 (c.£15)

9) Black Rhodium Rhythm (c.£35)

I'll add a few more and let you know how I get on.

Could you detail your testing methods, and number of repetitions, people involved etc?
I am quite interested.

A

Anonymous

The equipment is as follows:

Marantz PM7001 KI Sig

Marantz CD6000 OSE

Rogers LS55 floorstanders

If poss, I'll also do some general listing with the Cambridge Audio DAB500. Of course, the problem is that you can't do repeat tests with radios. The only reason is that I've found that the ICs seem to sound different when used with the DAB500. I haven't done enough long term testing on this and I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that perhaps different ICs will invoke a different output when connected up to different equipment. More on that later.

I'll also post up my reference material too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts