Got some new headphones...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I just bought myself some new headphones! They'll be coming soon, so fingers crossed they are good! They are the Grado GS1000s and according to What Hi-fi they are really good! Hopefully they will be worth the £900 I paid for them! I was so pleased with the SR60s which I bought at the Bristol Hi-Fi show, that I couldn't resist getting the top-of-the-range models.

Do you think they will be good off my Arcam A32's headphone amp and my ipod, or should I buy a seperate headphone amp soon?

Oh, and does anyone else here have them? Please tell me what you think of them!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Do you think they will be good off my Arcam A32's headphone amp and my ipod, or should I buy a seperate headphone amp soon?

I think that a £900 transducer deserves more than a built-in headphone amp (even if it is on an Arcam).

I doubt if the components behind an amp's h/phone socket are going to cost more than a couple of quid even in the best brands.

The Grado RA1 surely has to be the natural choice....

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/ra1_amp.htm

A

Anonymous

chebby:Hughes123:Do you think they will be good off my Arcam A32's headphone amp and my ipod, or should I buy a seperate headphone amp soon?

I think that a £900 transducer deserves more than a built-in headphone amp (even if it is on an Arcam).

I doubt if the components behind an amp's h/phone socket are going to cost more than a couple of quid even in the best brands.

Yeah, my ipod sounds better than my Arcam on headphones in all honesty!

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Hey everyone,

I just bought myself some new headphones! They'll be coming soon, so fingers crossed they are good! They are the Grado GS1000s and according to What Hi-fi they are really good! Hopefully they will be worth the £900 I paid for them! I was so pleased with the SR60s which I bought at the Bristol Hi-Fi show, that I couldn't resist getting the top-of-the-range models.

Do you think they will be good off my Arcam A32's headphone amp and my ipod, or should I buy a seperate headphone amp soon?

Oh, and does anyone else here have them? Please tell me what you think of them!

Oooh - very nice! I'd love to hear your impressions of them when you've used them for a bit pleeeze! As I'm growing to like the Grado sound, I'm looking at either those or the RS-1's as a (very distant) future next pair of headphones.

I can't help you with a specific amp, but I've heard good things about the Mapletree/Grado combination from a few people.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Sheesh. Where the hell do you get that sort of money from at 15?

(jealous)

But seriously you definitely need a serious headphone amp, or you might as well have stuck with the SR60's!

edit... and if your iPod sounds better, then your headphone socket is knackered. Our iPod (30GB v5) doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my old Arcam A80s heeadphone socket.

A

Anonymous

900 quid - you paid too much hughes (sorry). look on ebay and you can find em for 550ish imported from the states. im sure they will be amazing though.
also agree on the need for a dedicated amp for em. check out the slee solo - there is one going on ebay cheap at the mo!

A

Anonymous

lonely boy:

Oooh - very nice! I'd love to hear your impressions of them when you've used them for a bit pleeeze! As I'm growing to like the Grado sound, I'm looking at either those or the RS-1's as a (very distant) future next pair of headphones.

I'll definitely tell you - I also just checked out your system - you must have over £1,000 worth of headphones there! Crickey, you could have a headphone party!

Oh and thanks for the Mapletree suggestion, I'm checking their offerings at the moment!

A

Anonymous

fr0g:Sheesh. Where the hell do you get that sort of money from at 15?

(jealous)

But seriously you definitely need a serious headphone amp, or you might as well have stuck with the SR60's!

edit... and if your iPod sounds better, then your headphone socket is knackered. Our iPod (30GB v5) doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my old Arcam A80s heeadphone socket.

That's worrying - my iPod is a 80GB v5 and it does sound more "neutral" than the Arcam...the Arcam sounds really beefy and powerful, but detail resolution and background noise is far lower on the iPod...hmm...

A

Anonymous

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:900 quid - you paid too much hughes (sorry). look on ebay and you can find em for 550ish imported from the states. im sure they will be amazing though.
also agree on the need for a dedicated amp for em. check out the slee solo - there is one going on ebay cheap at the mo!

Oh dear! But it's not a that big problem, because I'm friendly with my local dealer and I like to keep him allowing me to audition stuff, even though we both know I'm not going to buy it and so my hi-fi knowledge increases! Just today, I listened to a Classe and B&W 801 set-up...

...trust me, Kate Bush has never sounded so good...ever!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts