Got Mordaunt Short 914 floorstanders - Now what do i do???

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

No idea about what i need to run these speakers.

I assume i need an amp, but do i need a pre-amp(?) and do i need phono things!

Please help.

Just want to run my TV, Hi-Fi, ipod and PS3 through the new speakers. Simple!

If you do suggest products then please give codes/models, looking for budget but quality.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

How big is your room, how loud do you listen and what kind of music?

BTW: Congratulations to your new speakers (got the 914i or the old 914?)! Bought the 914i a few weeks ago and I really love them! Let them run in 72 hours and then they sound fantastic!
emotion-2.gif

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Got the old ones i'm afraid! Just starting up so thought i'd start slowly.

Room size is about 20ft x 30ft so a good size. Got no other speakers at present. Listen to all sorts of music from Abba/80's/Bhangra/Synthesiser/Ska/HipHop so a real mix as it's a family room. Will play movies through it too.

Volume i would say medium to high on occasions for party's as this is the biggest room in the house and nearest the garden for bbq's so i can open up the windows.

I was looking at the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 but then read that they only let out 20W per speaker so thought about the Camb' Audio Azur 740A as it's £250 at Richer Sounds at the minute But i am obviously open to suggestions as i'm new at this game.

My budget would have to be £250 MAX for the Amp.

Thank you for replying, it is very much appreciated.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
i had the mordaunt short 916i speakers for a while, originally with a cambridge audio azur 540a v2. found the sound horrid and painfully bright (even after a good 6 months run in, and different cables interconnects used). I then changed to a NAD 325bee which made a world of difference, tamed the bright high end and improved the bass.

if you dont want a bright/tinny sound i'd suggest staying away from pairing cambridge audio amps with your speakers, and go for something warmer, NAD would be my suggestion, but i'm sure there are others.

cheers

Always cut the red wire!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Basshead. Would i need any other Amp's/pre amps etc???

How about the Marantz PM6003?
Camb Audio 740A?

NAD C326BEE?

They are around the £250 mark @ R/Sounds???

OR Yamaha AS500 for £300?

£300 would be MAX spend!

Saw the NAD C355BEE for £200 at the mo so if they have that in stock I will bite their hand off.

So Marantz PM6003, CA 740A, NAD C326BEE, NAD C355BEE, Yamaha AS500????????

A

Anonymous

I often read in the German Hifi Forum, that that series of the Marantz has a warm sound so I think the 6003 might be a good idea to get paired with your Mordaunt speakers!
emotion-2.gif

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
When you say you want to run your HI Fi through the speakers, do you mean you already have some sort of HI FI? - If not you only need an amplifier. Pre amps are simply a different type of amp which has to be paired with a power amp - generally more expensive but better quality (usually).

Get an (integrated) amplifier - try and listen to a couple in Richer Sounds if they are convenient to you, and make sure the components you want to attach to it have compatible audio outs - Some TVs for example only have a digital output which not many amps in your budget will accept without an extra component called a DAC.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts