GOT AN ARCAM A32!....bitterly dissapointed....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well I GOT ONE! Yes, a brand new ARCAM FMJ A32! But where has the money gone? There is no power to it - it seems really gutless, and -30db is comparable with -40db on my old JVC. I have made sure the source trim is at middle setting so this is not the problem (unless I need to increase it)...and when my JVC would be seriously loud, the Arcam doesn't get that loud. Does anybody know what the problem is? It is wired up correctly and I am using an Arcam CD73 as the source with Wharfedale EVO2 30 speakers. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Is the volume the only dissapointment, surely it does sound better than your JVC?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]it seems really gutless, and -30db is comparable with -40db on my old JVC[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about the number mate just turn it up! I had them on -24db or there about!

My old krell 400Xi used to pump out tight bass line even -17db!

A

Anonymous

Sorry guys! I'm not going to sell it even if I can't hear it at all! I don't do selling things....if I bought it, I put up with it! ; )

You are probably right Thaiman about turning it up, I can't really see it doing any damage if It isn't loud...the voice-coils won't go anyway! And if it overheats, then it will turn its self off. I'll have to let it run in aswell, its only had about an hour of use so far - so that may be restricting the "grip" it provides! Thanks alot guys, and I'll tell you how it goes!

Oh and If you're interested FR0G, I'll sell you the JVC A-X5 for £100! ; ) Cheers.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
John, as you are a mathematician, why not the Fibonacci series. Only the number 1 is repeated twice.

Dbs give you an idea of the power you are putting out. Every 3dbs increase is roughly double the watt power being put out.

But I like the Fibonacci series as there is something mystical about it

A

Anonymous

I'm completely lost on this numbers thing, I bought my cyrus gear because I love what it sounds like and I've always carefully auditioned all my hi fi gear before I bought it, I could'nt even begin to tell you what the power output is, let alone all the other numbers rubbish.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Well I GOT ONE! Yes, a brand new ARCAM FMJ A32! But where has the money gone? There is no power to it - it seems really gutless, and -30db is comparable with -40db on my old JVC. I have made sure the source trim is at middle setting so this is not the problem (unless I need to increase it)...and when my JVC would be seriously loud, the Arcam doesn't get that loud. Does anybody know what the problem is? It is wired up correctly and I am using an Arcam CD73 as the source with Wharfedale EVO2 30 speakers.

Cheers.[/quote]

One of the things is that high quality always sound lower volume surprisingly. A bad quality system will sound loud so that you can't talk over it when at the same volume as a good quality system that you cab talk over.

The other thing on Arcam amps is that the volume control needs turning and turning due to the way they are set up. It gives more flexibility that way.

A

Anonymous

It's been on for 5 hours now, and already the difference is amazing! It is WAY better than my JVC now! Infact, it's superb! I just turn the volume up a bit to get the right volume (I'm not one of these people who have it at 5 o'clock). About -16db is the maximum volume one would want using a CD and 89db speakers. Awsome piece of kit! Soundstage is breathtaking! Never has Abba sounded so good! LOL.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Never has Abba sounded so good! LOL[/quote]

WOW some amp you got there mate
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Now its really singing! About 8 hours it has been playing tunes.

My current evaluation is as so:

-Bass is very tuneful - not loose and yet not underpowered.
-Mid range is very open and clear and exceptionally smooth - this amplifier would suit much more expensive loudspeakers.
-Treble is very slightly rolled off - enough to cut out harsh brightness but preserve detail; just how I like it! This amplifier can be driven to extreme volumes without hurting sensative ears or giving a headache.
-The overall sound is best described as fluent: After 8 hours the sound is very natural, but there are no excessive peaks; it therefore suits speakers such as Monitor Audio and B&W which have a brighter, peakier nature than other manafacturer's products. This amplifier is not warm like its predecessors - however it is not in the slightest cold.
The A32 is also very musical. It does not sound artificial like Rotel products or very cold like Cambridge Audio amps.
The soundstage is a particular highlight which is expansive, very focussed and spreads far past the outside of the speakers. Q encoded material is handled superbly.
Interface wise, I have not EVER come across a better product. The quanitity of settings may seem to some to be pointless, but when you realise that the settings are very handy (such as source trim settings) you begin to realise that Arcam are very smart. The user interface does not compromise sound quality. I currently cannot tell any difference between the display being on or off.
The casing and finish are excellent, the case does not resonate at all, and the buttons reflect the great design of the overall FMJ system. This attractive and simplistic design continues on the rear. The remote works with FMJ and Diva products, controlling all the amplifier's functions and the essential controls on my Diva CD73. I would have appreciated a fast forward, rewind button however. The tuner is very well served with plenty of buttons to serve most functions on the amplifier's remote (CR-389).

So its a superb amplifier, and as I got it for only £800, a superb bargin. 5 year warrranty is as standard (I doubt I'll need it with the superb build quality) and the P35 power amplifier and upgradable multi-channel add-on would both improve this set-up depending on whether you prefer stereo or home-cinema systems. A great piece of kit, and It's not even run in!

All of the photos are mine. Enjoy!
2334627057_7ee4222b61.jpg

2334626343_44e11b5239.jpg

2335455372_28e0105f33.jpg

2335454836_d9a4b19771.jpg

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Now its really singing! About 8 hours it has been playing tunes.[/quote]

I knew you'd like it once you became accustomed to the sound.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
Nice camera mate
emotion-2.gif

Oh and I glad you like your new toy
emotion-21.gif
well done.
[/quote]

Sony A100 with a 1985 Minolta 35-70/4 macro lens on it. A really nice camera - I have loads of lenses for it because I had a 1985 Minolta 9000 (the first ever AF camera) and they all fit it! Awsome piece of kit...but not as awsome as my new amplifier! sorry to rant on....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"][quote user="Hughes123"]sorry to rant on....[/quote]

You're making me want one. Would it knock my Arcam A85/P90 combo into a cocked hat?[/quote]

I have only heard the A85 on its own, but to be honest - YES! It's just soooo....musical! I'll tell you how good it really sounds when I've run it in properly. The real thing which will make it better than your A85 is the way it deals with the treble - not a trace of harshness which is truly superb!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]Very nice indeed. Maybe you should change the heading?
I am jealous...
ps I like the yellow jag - not yours?[/quote]

Hey that's wiered - I changed my photo to a yellow jag about 2 months ago and still on my pc it shows my Wharfedales! Wiered huh? Nah, not my jag, just a photo I took of one!

A

Anonymous

(Shrugs Shoulders) Nevermind! I adjusted the link again and I think it is fully working now!

Yeah my Flickr page has some photos from the Bristol Show 2008...I'll post them up!

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Anyone recall if Focal JML were using an A32 with their stereo demo at this year's Bristol show? I made a note of it, then lost the note, fairly typical of me...

If so, I was very impressed with it and I was a bit surprised you didn't like it to start with, glad it's starting to come good now.

Nice camerawork Mr Bailey!!

A

Anonymous

Yes! Focal JML DID use the A32 as their amp - I remember seeing it! Oh and cheers for the photography complement! : )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts