GOT AN ARCAM A32!....bitterly dissapointed....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You will love the ProAcs. If you go for some let me know first as I got mine for £595 in rosewood, brand new and delivered. RRP is £925.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Really pleased you like it. I had confidence it would shine through.[/quote]

It's brilliant - you'd really love it because it combines that traditional Arcam sound with more authority and more detail. Thaiman - this Arcam can really rock!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]You will love the ProAcs. If you go for some let me know first as I got mine for £595 in rosewood, brand new and delivered. RRP is £925.[/quote]

Yeah I am defiently going to buy some new speakers - the speakers are being used in a 14ftx9ft room along the 9ft wall, and next to a wardrobe, so I think my floorstanders are a bit too big. The ProAcs are currently in first place followed shortly by the PMC DB1i. Are there any other speakers similar to these which I could consider? I like the sound both speakers provide (superb mid-range), but I don't want to sacrifice bass (ie minimum FR of 50hz). Also I don't like a too bright top end.

A

Anonymous

May I make the fatal mistake of all threads and ask what interconnect you use from your CD player/Turntable to your A85 Mr.Sim?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The ProAcs are certainly not bright and provide enough bass for me.

I use a Van Den Hul D102 III and it is very neutral and detailed.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Yeah I am defiently going to buy some new speakers -[/quote]

I'm not an Arcam fan but I'm glad you like it. Why on earth would you want to substitute your speakers for one of those tiny boxes?!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="Hughes123"]Yeah I am defiently going to buy some new speakers -[/quote]

I'm not an Arcam fan but I'm glad you like it. Why on earth would you want to substitute your speakers for one of those tiny boxes?!
[/quote]

You like my Wharfedales? Few people seem to, and I must agree that they do not provide the detail that the A32 can provide. They also are a little lacking in the precence department for a floorstander, making them too boomy in my room. You think that the ProAcs aren't very good then?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote]

You like my Wharfedales? Few people seem to, and I must agree that they do not provide the detail that the A32 can provide. They also are a little lacking in the precence department for a floorstander, making them too boomy in my room. You think that the ProAcs aren't very good then?[/quote]

The ProAcs have a sound that belies their size, they are superb speakers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"][quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote]

You like my Wharfedales? Few people seem to, and I must agree that they do not provide the detail that the A32 can provide. They also are a little lacking in the precence department for a floorstander, making them too boomy in my room. You think that the ProAcs aren't very good then?[/quote]

The ProAcs have a sound that belies their size, they are superb speakers.[/quote]

Good, that's what I like to hear! Just out of interest, how come you only use them in your kitchen? Is your room with the Focals too big?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote] You like my Wharfedales? Few people seem to, and I must agree that they do not provide the detail that the A32 can provide. They also are a little lacking in the precence department for a floorstander, making them too boomy in my room. You think that the ProAcs aren't very good then?[/quote]

Not at all. They (proac) are very good speakers but have the usual shortcomings for such tiny speakers and unless you really have no room I would never choose a speaker of such diminutive dimensions. The fact that you have used substantial floorstanders so far, even though 'boomy' with your new amp (not unusual for any arcam) tells me that you have space for a 'proper' speaker that can shift air more effortlessly. My usual recommendation at that price (up til 1k) is Rega's R3 or 5, depending on room size. They are slim, beautifully built, front ported with an additional side firing bass driver which increases the cone area to move air. They also have a lovely open sound with a very nice incisive treble. Bass is controlled and firm. I'm not familiar with your wharfedales but question the reason to move to one of those 'super minis' as good as they are unless you really have no choice with regards to space. Dynamically they are seriousely lacking if you ever turn the volume up which you should ever so often! Its the the law of physics with such small main drivers.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"][quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote]

The ProAcs have a sound that belies their size, they are superb speakers.[/quote]

Have you tied B&W with Arcam Amp, I had B&W CM1s paired with an Arcam amp and it was a superb sound..

A

Anonymous

No I havn't tried the CM1s...they look and I expect sound great, however I am a little put off because of their 84db sensitivity. I would like 87db or more @1w@1m.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="JoelSim"][quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="drummerman"]

[/quote]

Good, that's what I like to hear! Just out of interest, how come you only use them in your kitchen? Is your room with the Focals too big?[/quote]

I have some Dali Ikpn 6 in my living room which is my main system. I bought the ProAcs for the kitchen - I'm getting my kitchen done at the moment and needed a pair of speakers that were small enough to fit being wall mounted, which I could get connected to my living room system via a hole in the living room/kitchen wall.

I then got them and simply disconnected my Dalis and stood the ProAcs on top to test them and I was absolutely astounded. After about half an hour I was dancing round the room and they grew and grew on me. I kept them up for a week and then decided to put them away and reconnect the Dalis. The Dalis are more mellow, but the ProAcs are faster and more dancy. The bass is excellent and if you'd walked in for a blind test you would never have known they were so small (and good looking). What Drummerman says is wrong about the bass and filling a room, they do very easily.

I can't wait to get them up in a couple of weeks, they will be my entertaining speakers for dinner parties and BBQs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts