Good surround speakers for a £100? fact or fiction?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all,

this may sound like a crazy request. Can I buy a good set of surround speakers for $100?

I'll explain. I wanted a good TV and a surround system for Christmas. With the help of most of the guys and girls in here I was all decided for a TH42PZ70 and the Sony DAV IS10. Tv is on the way. Unfortunaly, following several comments on the DAVIS10 regarding lowwish sound, I am slighly scared of that system.

I was hoping to buy the surround system for ~$500. What if I buy the £400 ONKYO, and get a £100 set speakers.This brings me to my original question. Are there any such speakers? Will I need a DVD player as well to have a complete system?

Much appreciate your comments.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Wouldn't waste the money on the Onkyo if it only leaves you with £100 to buy a set of speakers, as there's nothing available for that little anywhere near doing the receiver justice. And yes, you will need a DVD player too.

If you want a reasonable separates system for this kind of cash, consider the Samsung DVD-HD870, available for around £60, the £250 Onkyo TX-SR505E receiver (£250) and the Tannoy FX5.1 speaker system, at about £150. That'll leave you around £50 for speaker cables, interconnects and so on.

Alternatively there are some good package deals out there - for example Richer Sounds will do you a Denon DVD-1740 DVD player and AVR-1507 receiver complete with the Tannoy speakers for £350.

A

Anonymous

Andrew, thanks for the honest reply. That why I like this place.

1) Had it been yourself, would you go for an all in one package or will you go for one of the separate system you suggested?

2) If I had to buy the ONKYO $400 receiver, how much more do I need to spend to get decent speakers and DVD player?

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
To make the most of the Onkyo I'd be looking at the likes of the Marantz DV6001, at around £350, and a speaker package such as the Q Acoustics 1010 5.1, at about £500 or so. But the Onkyo would be more than capable of doing justice to even better sources and speakers.

A

Anonymous

I guess, I'll have to go for something smaller for now. Will but the ONKYO later on.

Had it been yourself, would you go for an all in one package or will you go for one of the separate system you suggested earlier?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Unless you have a huge room,[/quote]

my tv room or lounge is part of a lounge-dinning combined measuring 29'9" x 23' 8". The TV room/lounge measures 18'6" X 13' 8", is that a huge room room by home cinema standards? Sorry but I'm new to all this and would really like my first movie on my new TV/surround system to be a fantastic experience, the begining of a long frienship between the surround world and myself :)

Thanks Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts