Good starter amp to go with B&W CM1 Bookshelf Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My knowledge of Hi-fi setups is very small, so I'm looking for some advice on a good starter amplifier to get.

I just bought these (not new): http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/CM_Series/CM1.html and I'm looking to spend about £200-£300 on an amp. I'm assuming buying a decent one second hand would be better than buying new?

I'm looking to hook up my laptop to it as all I use is spotify, so anything that uses bluetooth would be ideal, although I do have a logitech bluetooth adapter that I'm currently using, which i guess could work - although will this affect the quality of the sound?

Ideally I want something small and neat but open to any suggestions.

So far this looks like a decent option: http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-pm6004 but perhaps someone could offer me some advice, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The op of this thread went for PM6004 + CM1

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-pm6004-or-yamaha-as500-with-monitor-audio?page=1

matthewpiano

I'd look for a second hand Rotel RA-06SE or similar if you can find one. The synergy between Rotel and B&W is excellent but the CM1s will need one of the more powerful models to really grip and control them.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
tobefrank said:
I'm looking to hook up my laptop to it as all I use is spotify, so anything that uses bluetooth would be ideal, although I do have a logitech bluetooth adapter that I'm currently using, which i guess could work - although will this affect the quality of the sound?

If you only use Spotify over Bluetooth, then the QED uPlay receiver which uses apt-x can be plugged into whichever amp you have your sights on. They are around £60. Because of the use of apt-x which is the better flavour of audio over Bluetooth, you should ideally use an apt-x enabled transmitter such as the Creative BT-D1 dongle - these are around £30-£40.

Chord do some tiny little amps (the Maxx) with built in Bluetooth but unfortunately they are quite pricey.

Unfortunately until recently the Onkyo 8050 receiver was available for around £250 - £300 and that had network player and streaming capability and could have streamed Spotify for you. Keep your eyes peeled as a limited offer may turn up at that price.

There are some good new starter amps in the price range you mention e.g. Marantz PM6004, Yamaha AS500. I quite like the idea of the Teac A-H01 which is compact and bijoux but may be underpowered for you.

Searching the second hand market will throw up some nice surprises, so if you find anything you fancy on a used basis, then feel free to ask about it on here ... there are some knowledgeable peeps here that may have owned or listened to the amp you are after.

T

the record spot

You want network connectivity? Onkyo's TX-8050. All the connecivity you'll need, 100wpc, nice build and finish and a lovely tonal quality with the right speakers. Try them together but I imagine they'd make for a good pairing - hearing is a must though. Approx £300 these days. IMO, one of the best amps out there under £1000 just now.

tobefrank said:
My knowledge of Hi-fi setups is very small, so I'm looking for some advice on a good starter amplifier to get.

I just bought these (not new): http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/CM_Series/CM1.html and I'm looking to spend about £200-£300 on an amp. I'm assuming buying a decent one second hand would be better than buying new?

Ideally I want something small and neat but open to any suggestions.

So far this looks like a decent option: http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-pm6004 but perhaps someone could offer me some advice, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi tobefrank

Rotel's RA-1062 or the NAD C370 are also worth serious consideration.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I'd look for a second hand Rotel RA-06SE or similar if you can find one. The synergy between Rotel and B&W is excellent but the CM1s will need one of the more powerful models to really grip and control them.

Agreed. I once heard the CM1 in combination with the Rotel RA-06SE and liked the combination. ;)

jimmy.cross

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am using a Naim Nait XS-2 with the bigger brothers CM7 and the combination is fantastic. If it is too expensive, the Naim Nait 5i is also a very good option (very similar sound but a bit less refined in certain areas).

The B&W CM series have the nautilus tweeter, which can be excited into brightness if the amp is not selected carefully (I had to get rid of my Cambridge Audio amp. for that reason).

If you feel that you need some extra bass from these bookshelves, try the Roksan Kandy mk2, it also sounded very good!

Good luck!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had the CM7s with a Musical Fidelity XA2. Old amp but so suited. I really regret selling mine.

Re. the uplay. I had one and can recommend. They never used to be Aptx, they must have updated.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
The op of this thread went for PM6004 + CM1

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-pm6004-or-yamaha-as500-with-monitor-audio?page=1

If you can, have a listen to a few combinations and see what you like the sound of. Rotel and B&W are a classic match, but I've also heard the CM1s on the end of Marantz's M-CR603, PM6003 and PM6004 and it was a surprisingly good match.

A

Anonymous

What about Rotel RA-12 has built in DAC for laptop and Sonos ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts