Good speakers with a Cyrus One Amp

shuttle

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've just picked up a Cyrus One Amp and I am currently running it a set of Celestions F10 speakers with it. Whilst it sounds ok I realise there could be much more gained from alternative speaker pairings.

I'm using it mainly with digital music and with an old wharfdale linton turntable with fair variety music and a possible bias on 70's and modern rock.

Are there any good matches new or older that spring to mind? Tannoy 607's possibly or mordaunt short ms10.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Try going for something with a bit of warmth and good sensitivity. I had both Cyrus 1 and 2 and for my tastes they can sound a little bright and thin, I also found the sound can harden up when driving a difficult load, aim for speakers rated at 87db and above. I'd go for something on the warm side of neutral like the Quad 11L Classic.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The old Cyrus 1 and 2 amps don't forgive brash digital sources of their sins. They are at their best playing vinyl, especially the Cyrus 2 which has the best MM preamp I've ever heard.

However that doesn't answer your question.

I've owned both of the speakers you've mentioned and without a shadow of a doubt from those two I'd go for the 607s. In my experience the MS10s would sound a bit thin with digital sources.

The only trouble with 607s is that they are a difficult shape and size. I sold mine for just that reason: they are 'tweenies' which are too small to be floor-standers yet they look overpowering on 18" stands. Their period heptagon stands, which IIRC were about 12", are quite difficult to source.

shuttle

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thats great! Cheers for all the suggestions.

I remember listening to a set of mission 780's and liking the sound. I used to own a pair of 760's back in the day when I owned a lower end marantz amp and I liked them. Are 780's/781's and 782's similar in their tones and details between themselves and the 760's?

The quads look like nice speakers with a solid build, I'd be interested to hear them hooked up to the cyrus one.

I've been reading a lot of good things on the tannoy 607's but I hear what you saying about the awkward size of them for placing on floor vs stands. If they are on the floor, does being lower mean they loose detail/definition?

Thanks again for all the input it's much appreciated.

shuttle said:
Thats great! Cheers for all the suggestions.

I remember listening to a set of mission 780's and liking the sound. I used to own a pair of 760's back in the day when I owned a lower end marantz amp and I liked them. Are 780's/781's and 782's similar in their tones and details between themselves and the 760's?

The quads look like nice speakers with a solid build, I'd be interested to hear them hooked up to the cyrus one.

I've been reading a lot of good things on the tannoy 607's but I hear what you saying about the awkward size of them for placing on floor vs stands. If they are on the floor, does being lower mean they loose detail/definition?

Thanks again for all the input it's much appreciated.

Hi shuttle

Your welcome.

Yes, the Cyrus 78 series speakers are similar in tone to the 760's however their build, fit, finish, etc. and ultimately performance is much better. Well worth the premium and an excellent match for the superb Cyrus One :)

Btw, for optimum performance from the 607's it will be best to have them on a pair of stands.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

shuttle

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've seen some 780's and 607's on ebay so will give them a try and see what my untrained ears go for.

Thanks for all the advice.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Tannoy 607s will sound boomy and indistinct just stood on the floor.

If you find yourself sold on their sound, like I was (and to this day I wonder just how much I've bettered them, even having so-called upgraded three times since then), you need to find a way to solidly lift them about 12"-14" from the floor.

TRENDING THREADS