Good set of headphones for a beginner?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Looks like I completely disagree. Just because you hold Edd high doesn't mean Everyone has to agree. Like I said I find his reviews ok some very good. His assessment on soundstage I did in regards to the M100 I did find odd. I've been competitive gaming for maybe 12 years or so and when it comes to soundstage depth and width and positional accuracy and separation I'm very experienced in that regard.

I don't know much of Edds experience in that regard but you need to experience this on your own instead of recycling things from others..so you loose your right to comment on this topic. That's such a huge problem in this hobby people recycle too much and it leads to people getting info that could be either false or exaggerated.

I'm a surround sound headphone gamer and always have fitsy audio enthusiast second! My gaming experience helped me translate to Hifi. I don't game in stereo it suppresses a headphones potential to do soundstage as well as it could. Some like the M100 don't do well on either, so many times I've heard parroted info I.e the K550 has a huge stage only to be disappointed!

I'm not saying Edd is a liar as that's his experience plus his testing will be different but from a hardcore Dolby headphone gamer who has tested many headphones for this purpose the M100 lacks these qualities for gaming and music. The stage is literally injected into your ear hence no soundstage.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I have a question for both Ryanr1987 and dalethorn.

I noticed Ryanr1987 mention the Brainwavz HM5 in this thread, and remember watching a YouTube review by dalethorn for the same.

I personally find them to be a natural sounding headphone that works with all genres.

My question is, what would be a true upgrade to these cans?

Meaning not slightly better sounding, or better in certain areas, but a clearly audible improvement across the board?

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
If you want a good upgrade that still is as balanced as the HM5 but more refined I'd look into

ATHA900x

Good soundstage like the HM5 but more refined. The HM5 is great but it lacks the refinement of a good midfi headphone. The 900x has a nice midrange with a beautiful tone throughout.

Ive heard people say the spirit pro is a very balanced natural sounding headphone but I've not heard it so can't comment on that but it may be worth looking into.

My other Recommendation is the Mad Dog 3.2 if you don't mind an amp. Awesome soundstage great lush mids and a friendly treble! probably one of the most balanced but musical headphones I've heard.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Ryanr1987 said:
Looks like I completely disagree. Just because you hold Edd high doesn't mean Everyone has to agree. Like I said I find his reviews ok some very good. His assessment on soundstage I did in regards to the M100 I did find odd. I've been competitive gaming for maybe 12 years or so and when it comes to soundstage depth and width and positional accuracy and separation I'm very experienced in that regard.

I don't know much of Edds experience in that regard but you need to experience this on your own instead of recycling things from others..so you loose your right to comment on this topic. That's such a huge problem in this hobby people recycle too much and it leads to people getting info that could be either false or exaggerated.

I'm a surround sound headphone gamer and always have fitsy audio enthusiast second! My gaming experience helped me translate to Hifi. I don't game in stereo it suppresses a headphones potential to do soundstage as well as it could. Some like the M100 don't do well on either, so many times I've heard parroted info I.e the K550 has a huge stage only to be disappointed!

I'm not saying Edd is a liar as that's his experience plus his testing will be different but from a hardcore Dolby headphone gamer who has tested many headphones for this purpose the M100 lacks these qualities for gaming and music. The stage is literally injected into your ear hence no soundstage.

It doesn't matter that you disagree. What matters is you have no established credentials and you make ludicrous claims that are 180 degrees opposite from people who do have credentials here and elsewhere.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
AL13N said:
I have a question for both Ryanr1987 and dalethorn. I noticed Ryanr1987 mention the Brainwavz HM5 in this thread, and remember watching a YouTube review by dalethorn for the same. I personally find them to be a natural sounding headphone that works with all genres. My question is, what would be a true upgrade to these cans? Meaning not slightly better sounding, or better in certain areas, but a clearly audible improvement across the board?

The ATH ESW9a would be good. The Beyer Custom One Pro is good on bass port #3. The Bose AE2 isn't bad for a Bose. But my biggest recommendation if you can justify the funds is the Mad Dog by MrSpeakers. It's a planar, and the sound is to die for. You'll never really know until you try it. Very smooth, warm/neutral - lovely. Avoid the silver cables.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Don't count out people just because they don't have a review site.

Some of the most knowledgeable people I know are only enthusiasts. People's views will always conflict. I'll always be honest about a product. If Edd has the same experience as me on this subject then that still wouldn't change my opinion. Judging by his reviews he's more Hifi(could be wrong but just what it seems)while I'm an audio gamer who has transitioned to Hifi so our backgrounds may be different.

I don't consider myself an expert on headphone gaming and soundstage audio but it is my bread and butter in this hobby and it's what got me a good job in the hobby but I'm a hobbyist nothing more and I don't want to be anything more.

Don't look down on me because the person who you are praising has a website..Edd is a decent reviewer so nothing against him at all more so you trying to down play my experienced knowli on a subject you know nothing about but quoted because Edd said it has a big stage then it must...

Least we agreed on the Mad Dog ;)

JoeMcc

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Always nice to log back on to find a debate/discussion. Although a lot of the things you are talking about I cant have an opinion on :(

I have decided I am going to stick with the M50's for now. ill try another pair a few months down the line.

Id really love to get into this hobby of being an audiophileand trying out new equipment, unfortunately it seems like it could be rather expesive :cry:

Maybe when I win the lottery ehh :bounce:

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The M50 is a neutral headphone for studio work.

With your taste in music then perhaps also look at AIAIAI TMA-1 (different versions in the range) and Reloop RHP-20.

I use an AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru myself and it is stunning.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
JoelSim said:
The M50 is a neutral headphone for studio work. With your taste in music then perhaps also look at AIAIAI TMA-1 (different versions in the range) and Reloop RHP-20. I use an AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru myself and it is stunning.

I second this one - (wish there were an 'agree' button here)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts