Good or bad thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"][quote user="drummerman"]
Threads from idiots that buy stuff without listening to it first, dislike said item/s then make a posting asking what they could replace it with from cheap e-retailers or ebay. Clever
[/quote]
I think these are exactly the kind of brash statements that turn good threads into bad ones. It would appear that some people on here are merely massaging their egos. It seems that some people mistake ignorance for stupidity - ironic eh?[/quote]

ignorance (noun): not knowing which piece of equipment is best for your given circumstances through lack of knowledge or experience. e.g. "I really fancy that Naim 5i, but I don't know if it'll go well with my Epos M5s."

stupidity (noun): buying a piece of equipment without hearing it first, i.e. you have no idea how it sounds. e.g. "I've just bagged myself a second Naim 5i on ebay. I hope to God it sounds ok with my Epos M5s."

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
The ignorance comes in to play when the person(s) involved fail to realise they should listen first before buying. Not their fault, yet some people want to seize that opportunity to jump all over them.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="amarocknrollstar"][quote user="gpi"]It seems that some people mistake ignorance for stupidity - ironic eh?[/quote]
That would be the irony![/quote]

Please do not mis-quote me, I did not say that.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="amarocknrollstar"][quote user="gpi"]It seems that some people mistake ignorance for stupidity - ironic eh?[/quote]
That would be the irony![/quote]

Please do not mis-quote me, I did not say that.

T

the record spot

Good threads: subject matter I'm interested in - turntables, vinyl, the traditional core hifi kit (amps, speakers, CD/vinyl, etc.,) and less so the newer fads - hard disk based, mp3 and the like.

Bad threads: lack of respect (courtesy costs nothing), flaming.

Ignorance I have no problem with - nobody has all the answers, sometimes it's easy to miss a good product and just as easy to think you're making the right choice until the moment you hook all the gear up and switch on.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="the record spot"]Bad threads: lack of respect (courtesy costs nothing), flaming.[/quote]
Spot on mate - I couldn't agree more. Guess that's what I've been unsuccesfully trying to say!

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
amarocknrollstar you were too vague with your aspersions. It's your kind of posts I don't like halfway through a thread when folk are simply exchanging friendly banter. When you said people were massaging their egos who were you referring to?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Lovely place this innit? Lets all gang up on someone who had a problem (quite rightly) with someone who acted like a bit of a berk, in a way that would leave him unstuck in the real world. oh yes. thats the way to respect your fellow posters. if someone appears ignorant OR stupid, pointing them in the direction of help would be nice (benefit of the doubt and all that...?).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
You certainly arent in the wrong. Now, i understand why peole get a bit annoyed by people not auditioning kit, and people who ask popular questions without doing a forum search first. However, getting your first setup is really quite an exciting experience, so mistakes are made sometimes; if people are new to a forum it can seem hard work to do s search first (tho i agree that strictly speaking, people should). Now, fobbing these people off is just simple elitism - it discourages people from entering the hifi world, and surely thats not what people here want (it certainly against the ethos of the mag!). If elitism's your game, ive not much time for you.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]
A good point, well made. Hope that puts the matter to bed now. Thanks for the back-up.
[/quote]

I can only assume you are referring to my previous posting
emotion-2.gif
though its quite difficult to know with you ranting on without making (much) sense.

Apologies if I'm wrong but I said it's stupid if someone buys without auditioning, then carries on in the same fashion through ebay etc trying to rectify the mistake rather than actually listening to stuff at a dealer just because they think they save a few pounds when in the long run it costs 'em more.

What exactly was your point/issue on that one amarocknrollstar?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"] However, getting your first setup is really quite an exciting experience, so mistakes are made sometimes; if people are new to a forum it can seem hard work to do s search first (tho i agree that strictly speaking, people should). Now, fobbing these people off is just simple elitism - it discourages people from entering the hifi world, and surely thats not what people here want (it certainly against the ethos of the mag!). If elitism's your game, ive not much time for you.[/quote]

Is anybody disagreeing with you on that one?

No. Thought so. I refer you to the answer I gave amarocknrollstar some moments ago.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]See, this is why I like threads about biscuits.[/quote]

I'm completely lost now and yesterday couldn't decided if I had missed the irony, was ignorant, deluded or stupid.
emotion-7.gif

biscuits2ob0.jpg

Ah that's better.

John Duncan

[quote user="gpi"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]See, this is why I like threads about biscuits.[/quote]

I'm completely lost now and yesterday couldn't decided if I had missed the irony, was ignorant, deluded or stupid.
emotion-7.gif

biscuits2.jpg

Ah that's better.[/quote]

See, now you're talking.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]

A good point, well made. Hope that puts the matter to bed now. Thanks for the back-up.

[/quote]

I can only assume you are referring to my previous posting
emotion-2.gif
though its quite difficult to know with you ranting on without making (much) sense.

Apologies if I'm wrong but I said it's stupid if someone buys without auditioning, then carries on in the same fashion through ebay etc trying to rectify the mistake rather than actually listening to stuff at a dealer just because they think they save a few pounds when in the long run it costs 'em more.

What exactly was your point/issue on that one amarocknrollstar?

[/quote]

I think you have to remember that not everyone has the means to roam the country in search Hi Fi items that the local dealer does not stock.

I have a friend that loves Hi Fi, but due to a disability and poor eyesight so does not drive, and therefore is restricted to his local dealer, he relies on the more knowlegable members to point him in the right direction in choosing kit.

A

Anonymous

What about a classic bar I find when you start to eat hob nobs it is hard to stop

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stormheader"]
What about a classic bar I find when you start to eat hob nobs it is hard to stop
[/quote]
Classic bars, now you're talking. Although I'm not sure whether Fox's selection box might just take the lead.

A

Anonymous

My kind of snack, in the same style as the previous photo too!
profiteroles.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts