Good live albums?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I used to hate live or so called "live" albums but there are a few notable exceptions. Top Five: 1) Okonokos - My Morning Jacket 2) Concrete - Pet Shop Boys* 3) Kicking Television - Wilco 4) Jake Thackray Live in London 5) Beethoven Was Deaf - Morrissey * mostly for Rufus Wainwright's Casanova In Hell. His voice is ever so slightly stronger than Neil's. Sorry Neil.

A

Anonymous

I would highly recommend, Alice in chains- MTV unplugged and Jeff buckley- Live at Sin`e. Two very good live albums, give em a listen, you wont regret it.

A

Anonymous

Grant36, could'nt agree more with buckleys Live at sin-'e.
emotion-21.gif
http://whathifi.com/forums/t/2186.aspx

A

Anonymous

I'm not an Eric Clapton fan at all, but 'Unplugged' is amazing. Worth a listen, indeed.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bloney"]I'm not an Eric Clapton fan at all, but 'Unplugged' is amazing. Worth a listen, indeed.[/quote]

I second that, bought it last week and palyed at least once a day since.

Other acoustic/guitar to try:

Antonio Forcione - Live - at his best, excellent recording as usual.
Derran Nauendorf - Live at the boardwalk - might be difficult to get hold of but the recording is superb.

A

Anonymous

You'd have to be a Marillion fan, but Reel to Reel is pretty good.

Lot's of things not to like about the production and stuff, but the emotion is amazing. The track forgotten sons is basically spat out - just brill, really emotional stuff.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
David Bowie - 'Stage'

Neil Young - 'Weld' (the sound of a man wrestling his guitar for two hours, even better if you get the 'Arc-Weld' triple)

The Smiths - 'Rank'

A

Anonymous

Incubus - Live at Red Rocks

Sigur Ros - No cd released but if you can download some

A

Anonymous

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Whitesnake - Live in the Shadow of the Blues
Whitesnake - Starkers in Tokyo

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="pompeyexile"]Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
[/quote]

Hmmm... don't think I've ever heard that one. Is it any good?
[/quote]

Please tell me you are being sarcy aren't you or was I (as Python would say) 'stating the bleedin obvious?'

A

Anonymous

Neil Young - Unplugged; Neil Young - Live Rust (the best NY album IMO and I have them all); Lucinda Williams @ Fillmore; Miles Davis - Live Evil (also at Fillmore, I believe); Man live at the Paget Rooms, Penarth; Get Yer Ya-Yas Out - Rolling Stones; but the greatest ever live performance is not strictly such but was captured in one take (with guests present so perhaps it qualifies) and is on an otherwise studio produced album and that's Voodoo Chile on Hendrix's Electric Ladyland - one of the ten pieces of music to hear before you die. Let me know if you want a separate thread for the other nine.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[quote user="pompeyexile"]Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
[/quote]

Hmmm... don't think I've ever heard that one. Is it any good?

[/quote]

don't feel bad, Andrew, it's as dull as it sounds.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mjw999"]
don't feel bad, Andrew, it's as dull as it sounds.

[/quote]

Could be worse, I guess - could've been used for 1,000,001 dull, unimaginitive hi-fi and home cinema demonstrations...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts