Good amplifier for Wharfedale Diamond 9.0?

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi there,

Looking for a amplifier for a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers so I can listen to my record player in my bedroom. I'm a student so sadly can't afford too much. No more than £50 or £60 if possible, ideally less. Any suggestions of decent amps that'll do the job pretty well?

Thanks

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
A second hand marantz pm4200 will do the job nicely

Edit- scrap that idea. I got mixed up. The wharfedales are 6 ohms, the marantz is fussy with this, I thought they were 8 ohms.

insider9

The cheapest possible (about £30+) should be Cambridge Audio A1, A5 maybe A500. These would not come with phono stage if you need one but would leave enough in your budget to pick one up.

insider9

Ollie Heptinstall said:
insider9 said:
The cheapest possible (about £30+) should be Cambridge Audio A1, A5 maybe A500. These would not come with phono stage if you need one but would leave enough in your budget to pick one up.
Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but what is a phono stage?
I understand when you say a record player you mean turntable? If so all turntables require a phono stage, some of the new ones have them built in.

Without getting technical it is a preamp that allows a turntable to be connected to an amp. Some integrated amplifiers have them built in.

If course if by saying a record player you meant a CD player that won't be necessary.

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ollie Heptinstall said:
insider9 said:
Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but what is a phono stage?
I understand when you say a record player you mean turntable? If so all turntables require a phono stage, some of the new ones have them built in.

Without getting technical it is a preamp that allows a turntable to be connected to an amp. Some integrated amplifiers have them built in.

If course if by saying a record player you meant a CD player that won't be necessary.
Sorry, it's an Audio Technica LP60 which I think has a built in pre-amp?

insider9

Yes, your turntable has a built-in phono stage. In which case any integrated will be fine.

At sub £50 will be difficult to get anything other than the Cambridge Audio amps I mentioned. You may also consider an av amp which at the budget mentioned shouldn't be worse than the CA.

Sony STR-DB930 has quite a reputation and should be achievable at around £60. I've not heard it myself but from recommendations I reckon it would beat the A1.

insider9

Your speakers are not the most sensitive at 86db. Whereas it would give out sound, I can speak of the quality or level of volume. Don't be fooled by many favourable reviews. After all you don't know what speakers have been used on the end of this amp.

What I can say for sure is that using such low powered amp is a sure way to destroying your speakers if you push the amp too hard. All depends on the volume you need. I'd still suggest something more powerfull and more conventional, to be on the safe side.

Ollie Heptinstall said:
Thanks for your suggestions

Space is quite tight in my room and those amps look sizeable. Would this do the job? -https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEPY-2024A-Plus-Amplifier/dp/B00SATAEEA/ref=cm_...

Personally I wouldn't even use that in a car. Go for a proper home stereo amp even if you have to go second hand.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Has plenty of Cambridge Audio A1, Technics and Denon integrated amps well below £50 any of which would be perfectly adequate.

Many people will tell you that you need at least 120 watts to be able to hear anything but this simply is not true unless you have a cavernous room and want to recreate a megadeth concert at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts