Good amp for £500 ish ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So, using an old Arcam CD73T and also squeezebox through DacMagic 2 as source, with Kef IQ5SE speakers.

Looking for a decent amp to match these. The Arcam CD player is detailed but 'warm', which I like, and the KEFs are quite bright speakers as you all know. I listen to rock, vocal and jazz and like a detailed presentation and soundstage and lean towards liking a warm sound with crisp treble and a decent bass thump. About to retire an old Kenwood KA-3020SE amp that has served well.

What is the latest incarnation of the A-A6 like (the so-called 'tuned by air' revamped version) ?

The £300 Marantz?

Cambridge Audio offerings? I'm a bit worried will be too bright though, matched with my IQ5SEs

Any recommendations?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hawkmoon:
So, using an old Arcam CD73T and also squeezebox through DacMagic 2 as source, with Kef IQ5SE speakers.

Looking for a decent amp to match these. The Arcam CD player is detailed but 'warm', which I like, and the KEFs are quite bright speakers as you all know. I listen to rock, vocal and jazz and like a detailed presentation and soundstage and lean towards liking a warm sound with crisp treble and a decent bass thump. About to retire an old Kenwood KA-3020SE amp that has served well.

What is the latest incarnation of the A-A6 like (the so-called 'tuned by air' revamped version) ?

The £300 Marantz?

Cambridge Audio offerings? I'm a bit worried will be too bright though, matched with my IQ5SEs

Any recommendations?

Check out Creek's website, for £300 you can buy an amp that will blow away the likes you mention.

EVO mk1 Amplifier Silver
This is a brand new Amplifier, unboxed. It comes with a full 2 year warranty and retailed at £545.00 Delivery anywhere in U.K.
Availability: In Stock Shipping Cost: £12.00 Stock Code: EAM01

scene

JamesOK:Are you looking purely for brand new or considering 2nd hand also? Theres some good deals to be had on ebay.

+1 on that - a secondhand Arcam A85 can be had for £225-250, and you could then get a P85 power amp to go with it, giving you a very good pre-power amp combo for around £500.
Having said that, would definitely get demos of the Creek and Evo amps.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
scene:JamesOK:Are you looking purely for brand new or considering 2nd hand also? Theres some good deals to be had on ebay.

+1 on that - a secondhand Arcam A85 can be had for £225-250, and you could then get a P85 power amp to go with it, giving you a very good pre-power amp combo for around £500.
Having said that, would definitely get demos of the Creek and Evo amps.

Re Arcam, thats exactly what I was thinking. An FMJ A32 went last week for just short of £500 (£496).

A

Anonymous

nad 355. The 352 worked well with the cd73 when i had that combo so i reckon the 355 would too. Plenty of bass welly too.

A

Anonymous

get a Rega Brio3-they're £330 and very, very good, meaning you'd have a tonne of money left over to buy loads of CDs to enjoy your system!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Hawkmoon:

The £300 Marantz?

Any recommendations?

Check out Creek's website, for £300 you can buy an amp that will blow away the likes you mention.

EVO mk1 Amplifier Silver
This is a brand new Amplifier, unboxed. It comes with a full 2 year warranty and retailed at £545.00 Delivery anywhere in U.K.
Availability: In Stock Shipping Cost: £12.00 Stock Code: EAM01

You can have a Creek Evo2 for £495 from here

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts