Gone out on a limb...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
My speakers are going up for sale, along with several other bits of kit. Last night on another forum I posted some details to see if there was any potential buyer interest before taking the plunge on Ebay. I've never sold on Ebay before and would rather not, but if needs must.

I have a list of 3 components. Speakers first, currently undecided but would like some pro monitors preferably a model that I don't require a sub with. I'm not talking the level of speaker you're working towards, more along the lines of Event Opal, Genelec 8050. I was considering these models last year before purchasing my current speakers. I've folowed an old thread on HIfi Wigwam about the Opals, and althought long in the tooth it's rekindled my interest in these. I don't want an inbuilt pre this time, I've never used it and tbh it's a pain. XLR inputs are a want as well as whatever pre I end up with it will have XLR outputs.

The second box (again something I wanted last year) could be the Mytek Brooklyn dac/pre or similar but it does tick most of my boxes and apparently has a very good phono preamp onboard. It doesn't support balanced XLR headphone out but to be honest I don't really care as the Emotiva is amazingly good through the 1/4 inch. Last night I used the OPPO HA-1 (non Balanced) to drive my headphones and it's dire in comparison to the Emotiva as a headphone amp. I am going to attempt to make some balanced XLR to 2.5mm mono audio jacks just to see if the Oppo can raise its game...We'll see how that goes.

And last on my want but certainly not need list is a pair of Sony MDR-Z1R semi closed headphones. This is a long way off.

First I need to sell lots of gear, save up and also give my Minidsp Dirac Live options some further consideration.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
My speakers are going up for sale, along with several other bits of kit. Last night on another forum I posted some details to see if there was any potential buyer interest before taking the plunge on Ebay. I've never sold on Ebay before and would rather not, but if needs must.

I have a list of 3 components. Speakers first, currently undecided but would like some pro monitors preferably a model that I don't require a sub with. I'm not talking the level of speaker you're working towards, more along the lines of Event Opal, Genelec 8050. I was considering these models last year before purchasing my current speakers. I've folowed an old thread on HIfi Wigwam about the Opals, and althought long in the tooth it's rekindled my interest in these. I don't want an inbuilt pre this time, I've never used it and tbh it's a pain. XLR inputs are a want as well as whatever pre I end up with it will have XLR outputs.

The second box (again something I wanted last year) could be the Mytek Brooklyn dac/pre or similar but it does tick most of my boxes and apparently has a very good phono preamp onboard. It doesn't support balanced XLR headphone out but to be honest I don't really care as the Emotiva is amazingly good through the 1/4 inch. Last night I used the OPPO HA-1 (non Balanced) to drive my headphones and it's dire in comparison to the Emotiva as a headphone amp. I am going to attempt to make some balanced XLR to 2.5mm mono audio jacks just to see if the Oppo can raise its game...We'll see how that goes.

And last on my want but certainly not need list is a pair of Sony MDR-Z1R semi closed headphones. This is a long way off.

First I need to sell lots of gear, save up and also give my Minidsp Dirac Live options some further consideration.

sounds like a very good plan

id recommend looking at ae new actives as a start.

I also like the mytek brooklyn - nice casing.

trust me once you are set up you will never go back to traditional hifi boxes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts