Going Retro

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I say retro because when I think of graphic equalisers I think of my teens and arranging them into a smile, an unhappy smile, or if an unsure mood, the zig zag.

I have been reading on the various AV rooms about how they add EQ devices between their source and sub. My first thought was it can't be healthy to stick a box of whizzing electronics in the sound chain - it may affect the signals and sound reproduction.

Then my second thought was actually, it is hardly pure that my room is sticking a 7db hike to frequencies 40hz to 50hz, and sucking out volume from 60hz to 80hz. If I can gently EQ the sub path, I might get a flatter more realistic response.

It's funny because I asked questions on these forums, and when they found out I was a two channel man, I got the impression that they seemed a bit surprised and wondering what I was doing in their room.

I took the plunge and have just received one of these today

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx

I haven't hooked it up because I need to make a balanced XLR to RCA cable. The device only has balanced stereo inputs/outputs, while my Primare i30 and BK Monolith sub only have RCA inputs/outputs in stereo. I might be a cheap adapter XLR/RCA just to see if the thing is working.

I'll post the results, but was wondering if anyone had done something similar?

Also, to avoid my cable issue, does any know a device which can take a 2 channel balanced feed, and turn into a balanced mono output, in a clean fashion? I ask because my sub has a mono XLR input, so I could make use of.

Primare i30 pre out ---------EQ---------Sub

+

Primare i30 ----------------------------main speakers

I can post the findings if anyone is interested.

A

Anonymous

I guess no one wants to come out and play. Well I promise an update.

I have just EQ'd my sub, and am listening to it now. It's 2am, so can't concentrate too much on sound quality, but my first impression is it sounds the nuts.

I don't understand the discussions about cables and stuff, when we sit in rooms which add or suckout upto 10db from certain frequencies. Apart from a +7db spike at 42.5hz and some infrequent jump, I have broadly got the 20hz to 90hz rang +- 2db.

The thing that strikes me now is how some bass notes are missing which don't realise there. I don't think it is all sweetness and light, because I have a feeling that these new notes may not be completely as tight or defined as they should be, but at least they are there. I am a bit tired, so can't analyse too deeply.

Overall deep bass notes have massive impact, with no after hang boominess.

I also bought a proper measurement MIC, and Behringer ECM8000. This is flat from 20hz to 23,000hz, so I can finally do a full range in room plot, if I get the time. My last gear was flat from 20hz to 1,000hz.

I used parametric EQ. This is much better than graphic equalisation as we used to remember. You can define exact what frequency you want to tamper with, then how much gain adjustment, and finally how much spread you want to affect. The min band size is 1/10 octave, and it can go as wide as a CDS trader.

It's been a mad day. I bought XLR/RCA cables from a poweruser on an AV forum, and the guy made a total hash of them, so I had to strip, solder and redo myself, so an unexpected adventure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts