Gigaclear internet

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I wonder how many of you have Gigaclear internet broadband and what you think of it and is it a reliable service compared with other companies but is it all about the speed by the way do you have to change BT phone number?? what is your speed 150 mps maybe

abacus

If its fibre to the premises (fttp) then the infrastructure is provided by BT Openreach, so performance will be the same no matter what ISP you use.
You will need to contact your ISP to see if you can transfer your phone over and keep the same number, however you may need to change to an ip phone or get an adaptor if you still want to use your existing phone. (Assuming your new ISP supports it)

Bill

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
that seems to be a lot of trouble ? Gigaclear is putting in new cables through the pavement ( remembering what happened to NTL costing them billions and ended up broke ) they are laying new super fiber today as i speak . So not it appears to be using any BT/Openspot facilities here in the roads . What i do know they claiming 150 mps i get now up to 80 download and up to 20 upload from Sky provider. Not bothered too much until i get a letter telling me what they are providing . Rumour around here was that BT/Openreach would not allow them to use any of there facilities at all . To me it is daft they could lease there lines ?? Now again the pavements have to be dug up , just 5 days since we had a new raod put in ( over one mile of it ) Note we are semi rural like Doddinghurst Essex ( known locally as Dodge city) Doddinghurst has already had the service put in last year and the beginning of this year , Now they are looking to extend to Wyatts Green Stondon green

Friesiansam

If its fibre to the premises (fttp) then the infrastructure is provided by BT Openreach, so performance will be the same no matter what ISP you use.
You will need to contact your ISP to see if you can transfer your phone over and keep the same number, however you may need to change to an ip phone or get an adaptor if you still want to use your existing phone. (Assuming your new ISP supports it)

Bill
FTTC infrastructure is provided by Openreach, FTTP is provided by a range of companies and, depends on who gets awarded the contract for your area.

Here, Connecting Devon and Somerset awarded the contract to Airband. Their website is unhelpful and, despite me signing-up for emails, so as to be kept up to date with what is happening, the emails never come. We are supposed to be getting FTTP but, who knows when or even if, it will actually happen?

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I will sit on the fence for the moment is there no reason why BT/Openreach ?Sky cannot provide super fiber or is there ??? By the way do i even need a phone at all and simply keep my number and add Gigaclear as well , as long as they just providing the broadband service

WayneKerr

No idea what Gigaclear is like for service but we had their contractors round my way last year laying new cables. They were bl**dy cowboys. I have a piece of grass outside my house which I cut regularly to keep it looking nice. The land is actually owned by the council/highways agency and the Gigaclear gang decided they'd dump all their diggings on it, right outside my house, as you can imagine I wasn't that impressed. They also severed a lot of lines, including mine. Openreach guys were brilliant and had me reconnected in 10 days, my ISP - NowBroadband were also brilliant and gave me nearly 4 months free as compensation.

As you can imagine after my dealings with Gigaclear I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
No idea what Gigaclear is like for service but we had their contractors round my way last year laying new cables. They were bl**dy cowboys. I have a piece of grass outside my house which I cut regularly to keep it looking nice. The land is actually owned by the council/highways agency and the Gigaclear gang decided they'd dump all their diggings on it, right outside my house, as you can imagine I wasn't that impressed. They also severed a lot of lines, including mine. Openreach guys were brilliant and had me reconnected in 10 days, my ISP - NowBroadband were also brilliant and gave me nearly 4 months free as compensation.

As you can imagine after my dealings with Gigaclear I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.
The problem is off course Gigaclear has already doin the work here. ( yes another NTL ?)

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Remember you will need to go to fttp with an ip phone after 2025 as the copper services will be phased out. (Or at least that's the plan)

Bill
Often plans do not work especially in rural areas/ As far a Gigaclear i might not go for them but i will see. i get 70/80 download Is it worth the extra and having to cancel Sky broadband which the system works pretty well and never gone done ( like Virgin did )

abacus

Often plans do not work especially in rural areas/ As far a Gigaclear i might not go for them but i will see. i get 70/80 download Is it worth the extra and having to cancel Sky broadband which the system works pretty well and never gone done ( like Virgin did )
Does your current package do what you want? are you happy with the price? if yes to both than not much point in changing.

Bill

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I changed to Giagclear from BT after they had laid all the cables in the town and put a connection point at each house.

I was having problems with BT (70 mbs down / 18 mbs up and £69pm, when working) and they needed to dig and lay a new cable from their cabinet, which meant digging up my block paving driveway.

Decided to go with Gigaclear as their work and reinstatement around the town had been very good. Different subcontractor teams.

Chose the 200 mbs down and up , £17 pm package. Thought if I need installation and digging up, may as well go for a faster speed. Come the day of installation, they routed the cable under some gravel, cut a thin slit through a path and fixed the box to the external wall, filled the slit, put box on the internal wall, than ran an Ethernet cable to the router. With two of them took all of 20 minutes.

Since then I can report that it is very stable and fast (getting 230 down and up). Many people in the town now use them and are pleased. Some went with the VOIP (phone) option and transferred their existing telephone number over.

All in all, everyone I know who is using them, including myself are very pleased with the service that we are getting.
- increased speed
- better stability
- improved coverage within the house
- reduced cost
- good customer service

Can recommend them

DG…

abacus

I changed to Giagclear from BT after they had laid all the cables in the town and put a connection point at each house.

I was having problems with BT (70 mbs down / 18 mbs up and £69pm, when working) and they needed to dig and lay a new cable from their cabinet, which meant digging up my block paving driveway.

Decided to go with Gigaclear as their work and reinstatement around the town had been very good. Different subcontractor teams.

Chose the 200 mbs down and up , £17 pm package. Thought if I need installation and digging up, may as well go for a faster speed. Come the day of installation, they routed the cable under some gravel, cut a thin slit through a path and fixed the box to the external wall, filled the slit, put box on the internal wall, than ran an Ethernet cable to the router. With two of them took all of 20 minutes.

Since then I can report that it is very stable and fast (getting 230 down and up). Many people in the town now use them and are pleased. Some went with the VOIP (phone) option and transferred their existing telephone number over.

All in all, everyone I know who is using them, including myself are very pleased with the service that we are getting.
- increased speed
- better stability
- improved coverage within the house
- reduced cost
- good customer service

Can recommend them

DG…
Interesting, most installations I have seen have been like a normal telephone line, with the fibre cable going from the phone pole to the house, so no digging required. (I know a lot a people that have had it installed like this and no problems with speed or reliability at all.

Bill

Interesting, most installations I have seen have been like a normal telephone line, with the fibre cable going from the phone pole to the house, so no digging required. (I know a lot a people that have had it installed like this and no problems with speed or reliability at all.

Bill
All modern housing has, as ,far as I am aware, telephone cables underground from the pavement with
no overhead lines.... at least every one in my area.

Last edited:

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site

Bill
They installed ducting in all the paths with a connection point for each house in the path.

That’s where the connection is made for the house, then they blow the fibre down the ducting to their cabinet and connect it up.

Where I live, we have no poles.

DG…

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

abacus

You mean where you live?
"Very little modern housing in most parts of the country" is certainly not what I have seen.
You will find boatloads of poles all over the UK, as to housing stock then here is a PDF (Page 19) which shows the makeup of UK housing stock with modern housing being a small percentage. (Although what is classed as modern housing stock is not defined but probably post 1990)

UK Housing

The last push for under pavement communications was done mainly in the 90s & 00s by the cable company's, (Now Virgin) but even this is very limited in the areas it covers. (Plus people get very upset with pavements keep being dug up, particularly as most are put back in a less than ideal condition)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts