Ghosting image around heads etc on 4K UHD Samsung

andylast

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought an all singing, all dancing Samsung 75" 4K UHD tv (HU8550). It got rave reviews and was very pricey( I am now living in the US). I have noticed that frequently I get a lot of ghosting images(not sure if this is the right technical term) around peoples heads and moving objects, and high definition rendition can not always be consistent... ie images appear partially in/out of focus. This seems to be worse for DVD's, less for Blu Ray and far less for normal satellite HDTV (1080i). Its also the case for any thing I stream from a streaming service.

This is a top of the line, very costly TV, with a great reputation but this doesn't seem right to me. Anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts?

Thanks

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
This is the case for so many expensive tv sets. I dnt understand why expensive tv sets are having more problems than less expensive ones. Have you contacted Samsung to see what they have to say.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm not surprised and to be honest when you're watching standard definition dvd's on a 4K tv whatever you do with the motion processing or any other gizmos will be hard pressed to improve the picture. You are asking a TV with a screen resolution of 3840 X 2160 to fill all those pixels with an original image which is 1024 X 576 (16:9 'PAL' resolution, less if your dvd's are from the US). What this means in a very basic form is that if you take a small square of 4 X 4 pixels on the 4K screen, when you watch a DVD only 1 of them is a true pixel, all the other 15 are being made up by the processing in the TV. When you're watching a Blu Ray or HD satellite, in that same square, there are only 4 native pixels. The algorithms used actually use far more complex cross sampling and motion analysis of the images, but you can't get away from the fact that most of what you're watching from DVD, Blu Ray and HD on your 4K tv is being made up by a chip.

andylast

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks... and I do get that (ie it will highlight the original quality issues) but what I am unclear on is why when I stream HD its bad too. When I watch HD from Satellite its darn good to look at (no ghosting) despite being only 1080i. Even Blu Ray gets ghosting ... maybe its due to the quality of the Blu Ray recodring?

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
andylast said:
Even Blu Ray gets ghosting ... maybe its due to the quality of the Blu Ray recodring?

While that IS possible, BDs with that bad a picture are few and far between, so if you're having ghosting on all discs then it's definitely not their fault. As BB has said, switch off all processing, which especially on BD playback is wholly unnecessary anyway. Most likely "digital clean view" or "MPEG noise reduction" are responsible (but do also switch off "Motion Plus").

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have had this type of problem on a couple of LCD/LED TVs. Not necessarily a fault just a case of twiddling the settings

As well as the motion setting, I seem to remember a Samsung tv I had, had a setting within picture settings which was a pair of sliders, BLUR & JUDDER. if your tv has this you might want to have a play as it sorted mine out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts