Getting subwoofer to play during cd playback

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have my 5.1 set up working fine with bluray, Sky HD etc and the sub contributes to all the explosions etc. What I do not know is how do I get the sub to suupport music whether it is played via cd or streamed to the amp. Music by the likes of James Blake has lots of bass and whilst the speakers do their bit I would like the sub to do its bit as well.

What do I have to do to set this up.

A

Anonymous

dgjam07 said:
I have my 5.1 set up working fine with bluray, Sky HD etc and the sub contributes to all the explosions etc. What I do not know is how do I get the sub to suupport music whether it is played via cd or streamed to the amp. Music by the likes of James Blake has lots of bass and whilst the speakers do their bit I would like the sub to do its bit as well.

What do I have to do to set this up.

I guess it depends which sub, and which AV receiver. But in my case I have the main speakers set to "small", and a bass-crossover set to 80Hz. I could also plug in the High level at the same time as the LFE into the low level, but I haven't felt the need.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response, I have to admit that does not mean a lot to me. The speakers are Monitor Audio and are set as large, as they are large, the amp is a Yamaha DSP AX763 and the subwoofer matches the speakers. It all works fine on 5.1 but regardless of how you set the crossover no bass sounds come from the subwoofer. It is as if it is not getting any signal from the amp. The subwoofer is connected to the amp via the subwoofer output and as i mentioned works fine on 5.1.

Any other thoughts anyone would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Just set the front speakers to small. That's what I had to do to get it to work for 2 channel music, the only difference it makes is it diverts the bass to the sub at the frequency you select.

I also found doing this increased the overall quality somewhat. Even if the speakers I was using were floorstanding (Dali Ikon 6) and capable of reasonable bass themselves, sending the bass to the sub gave me a far cleaner sound, especially at volume.

As I said, if the sub also has a high level input (often a special plug with a cable with 3 wires sticking out the end), then you can use that instead, and the sub will always match whatever the front pair are doing.

*from the manual for the AVP (CROSS OVER Selects the crossover frequency of all the speakers set to “SML” (or “SMALL”) in “SPEAKER SET” (see page 69).CROSS OVER Selects the crossover frequency of all the speakers set to “SML” (or “SMALL”) in “SPEAKER SET” (see page 69)."

A

Anonymous

Thanks, that has got the sub working with music and just tried it with some bass heavy sounds. Now have the wife commenting on the 'extreme' bass, probably need to find a suitable compromise set up now.

Thanks for your help.

A

Anonymous

If you have an auto setup mic then use that, but either way, just notch the gain down a little if you want to suit your wife :)P

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts