getting more from my Leema Pulse

matthewjh

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi, i have had my LP since 2012 and i'm looking to improve the sound.

Im using a Marantz CD6003 as the source and B&W 602 S3

is there a known combo to get the most from this amp?

It just feels lethargic to me at the moment

Matt

matthewjh said:

Matt

I don't own a LP but can you clarify for other members, has it always been 'lethargic' or is it just you feeling it could be better?

If so better in what way? Perhaps you might look at a new source rather than it being a problem that has suddenly manifested itself in the LP.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Different speakers and player or DAC.

Something from Rega should add speed and Hifime do some great optical ESS based DAC'S. Much cheaper than buying a new player. Refined but fast.

Then add some QED cabling. It brings out rhythm in music. The Revelation Signature is very good.

All this or at least part of it should add considerable pep to your amplifier.

matthewjh

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
matthewjh said:

Matt

I don't own a LP but can you clarify for other members, has it always been 'lethargic' or is it just you feeling it could be better?

If so better in what way? Perhaps you might look at a new source rather than it being a problem that has suddenly manifested itself in the LP.
I was happy with it to start as I went from an AV amp to the LP. For 2 years I've been using the system very little (child and house decorating etc) but recently got back into listening again. I really want to keep the Leema as I know the speakers I have are dated and of a lower budget category. Ther LP was also a gift from my wife so holds sentimental value to me. I just can help but feel it could be brought more to life. My previous house living room was long and narrow, hard floors and very little soft furnishings. I always put the lack of authority and low end down to this. My new house has a square soft furnished living room. the bass is nice but I feel it could be smoother and more detailed. Does that m make sense? I'm open to floorstanders our standmounts. Matt

matthewjh

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:

Something from Rega should add speed and Hifime do some great optical ESS based DAC'S. Much cheaper than buying a new player. Refined but fast.

Then add some QED cabling. It brings out rhythm in music. The Revelation Signature is very good.

Thanks Drummer, I'll take a look at all those recommended. I'm currently using Chord Crimson Plus IC and Chord speaker cable.

edit: something like this for the DAC?
HIFIMEDIY SABRE SPDIF DAC WITH HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER AND 230V POWER SUPPLY
- See more at: http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/spdif-dac-230V?sort=p.price&order=DESC#sthash.In2oCD1Y.dpuf

As you can see from my sig PMC 'i' series is an impressive match for the Pulse. Would also look at Leema Xeros or Xone speakers. Also consider Totem speakers but budget is crucial.

A better source will improve things but speakers will give you bigger bang for your buck.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
As you can see from my sig PMC 'i' series is an impressive match for the Pulse. Would also look at Leema Xeros or Xone speakers. Also consider Totem speakers but budget is crucial.

A better source will improve things but speakers will give you bigger bang for your buck.

Hi PP. From memory it took you a very, very long time to get comfortable with your Leema amplifier. Are they extremely system dependent or something?

Gazzip said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi PP. From memory it took you a very, very long time to get comfortable with your Leema amplifier. Are they extremely system dependent or something?

It didn't take that long. Loved it from minute one.

The problem I had was when I was exploring better sources, and the advice that came back at the time was "perhaps you should change the Leema to blah blah blah...". So the replies were totally inappropriate to the question.

The only issue I had shortly after buying it was it had an earthing problem. Leema subsequently resolved the issue.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewjh said:
drummerman said:

Thanks Drummer, I'll take a look at all those recommended. I'm currently using Chord Crimson Plus IC and Chord speaker cable.

- See more at: http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/spdif-dac-230V?sort=p.price&or...

They do a few, depending on what you need. There is also a Spdif/optical dac only. Connects via USB (Any usb phone charger will work).

Sounds good. Expect subtle but identifiable changes compared to other DAC's or your cd player. It all adds up.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewjh said:
drummerman said:

- See more at: http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/spdif-dac-230V?sort=p.price&or...

They do different ones incl. a Spdif/optical one that runs of a standard phone charger.

Expect subtle but nevertheless noticeable changes.

plastic penguin said:

+1 If that is OP's only source it should be perfectly adequate. Speakers mentioned are the way to go / audition. Might be nice to know a budget though.

matthewjh

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm probably realistically looking at used, around the £600 mark. This makes auditionaing a problem but should be able to move them on without too much loss if needed

matt

matthewjh

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

PP, I bought the Leema around the same time as you. I demoed it against a Roksan at the time (you probably dont remember) and we both agreed that the low volume listening is incredible with the Leema.

I've lost my old username details hence the very few posts. I'm glad you've commented.

Matt

matthewjh said:
plastic penguin said:

PP, I bought the Leema around the same time as you. I demoed it against a Roksan at the time (you probably dont remember) I've lost my old username details hence the very few posts. I'm glad you've commented.

Matt

I do actually remember you, although I can't recall the username. I know you said the sound with the B&Ws sounded a little bright. But once you got it home it was a different proposition.

I've had my Pulse since 2010 and still makes me smile. Back then I had MA RS6 speakers. Heard many other speakers: Totem Arros, Spendor SA-1 and A5, MA GS10s, PMC DB1is, MA GX100.... they all sound impressive.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
matthewjh said:
I'm probably realistically looking at used, around the £600 mark. This makes auditionaing a problem but should be able to move them on without too much loss if needed

matt

How about these.

These

Clickety

For a safe choice, though, I'd search out Leema speakers (Xeros or Xones)
Why is that a safe choice? Got nothing against Leema speakers, I wouldn't know.

drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewjh said:

matt

How about these.

These

Clickety

Because they are made to work with each other. As the OP would have trouble demoing then Leema speakers and amp, synergy wise, should work a treat.

insider9

There's a rather mint looking pair of white gloss Xone in Gloucestershire on Gumtree.

The ad is about to expire tomorrow so I'd contact today and haggle. I don't believe they've had much interest. I've considered them myself but the listening room isn't that big.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewjh said:

matt

How about these.

These

Clickety

Because they are made to work with each other. As the OP would have trouble demoing then Leema speakers and amp, synergy wise, should work a treat.
I am sure they make decent speakers. Still, its no safer than buying Boston speakers with Marantz or Focal with Naim :) Plenty of good speakers out there, including Leema.

drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewjh said:

matt

How about these.

These

Clickety

I am sure they make decent speakers. Still, its no safer than buying Boston speakers with Marantz or Focal with Naim :) Plenty of good speakers out there, including Leema.

Think you're making too much of the word "safe". I've recommended brands such as Rega speakers to posters who've owned a Rega amp and can't/won't dem. Usually I'd say "obvious choice" rather than "safe".

Are Leema speakers any good? No idea, but one would expect them to synergise well with their sibling amp.

I remember years ago you went through a phase of recommending Rega speakers with Cyrus amps.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewjh said:

matt

How about these.

These

Clickety

Think you're making too much of the word "safe". I've recommended brands such as Rega speakers to posters who've owned a Rega amp and can't/won't dem. Usually I'd say "obvious choice" rather than "safe".

Are Leema speakers any good? No idea, but one would expect them to synergise well with their sibling amp.

I remember years ago you went through a phase of recommending Rega speakers with Cyrus amps.

I still do if I think it would be a good solution.

Problem with Rega speakers is that they're perhaps not the amazing value they were. Understandable when considering everything has gone up. I still think they seem absolutely in line with most other high quality manufacturers looking at the quality of hardware and especially considering Rega make their own drivers where many others buy them OEM. Interesting comment from Gandi stating that most customers and dealers want improved cosmetics rather than a change in sound so that's where Rega is concentrating on. - If it ain't broke ... .

Leema know what they're doing but for some reason the speakers don't quite seem to have catched the imagination of buyers or reviewers. Not sure why.

Anyway, Rega speakers = speed and fun with good bass. Great coherence, they play 'as one'.

Things may have moved on and I would certainly try your suggestion too especially in the context of a Leema component such as the OP's.

drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewjh said:

matt

How about these.

These

Clickety

I still do if I think it would be a good solution.

Problem with Rega speakers is that they're perhaps not the amazing value they were. Understandable when considering everything has gone up. I still think they seem absolutely in line with most other high quality manufacturers looking at the quality of hardware and especially considering Rega make their own drivers where many others buy them OEM. Interesting comment from Gandi stating that most customers and dealers want improved cosmetics rather than a change in sound so that's where Rega is concentrating on. - If it ain't broke ... .

Leema know what they're doing but for some reason the speakers don't quite seem to have catched the imagination of buyers or reviewers. Not sure why.

Anyway, Rega speakers = speed and fun with good bass. Great coherence, they play 'as one'.

Things may have moved on and I would certainly try your suggestion too especially in the context of a Leema component such as the OP's.

I can't/won't recommend any component unless I've heard it. But given that Leema started out making speakers long before amps, CDPs... you would have to assume that their speakers are sterling.

Would I swap my PMCs for Leema Xones? Probably not.

In recommending Leema speakers to the OP, it was nothing more than a suggestion.

Why do their speakers get a rough deal? the only suggestion is the competition is so tough in the £500-1500 market.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts