Getting DAB through my Onkyo 9010

elbowroomrich

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a Onkyo 9010 for my turn table, which works fine.

I now want to use DAB through it ... I gather I need a DAB tuner but there seems to be slim pickings as those go. So I’m thinking maybe I get a radio that can connect to the amp through the jacks, rather than a pure receiver as such...

So is there anything out there that folk might recommend I go with?

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
elbowroomrich said:
I have a Onkyo 9010 for my turn table, which works fine.

I now want to use DAB through it ... I gather I need a DAB tuner but there seems to be slim pickings as those go. So I’m thinking maybe I get a radio that can connect to the amp through the jacks, rather than a pure receiver as such...

So is there anything out there that folk might recommend I go with?

I have a dab tuner in my system, but if it went bang I would probably use the radio stations on freeview via my TV - I think the bit rates are similar to a tuner. My tv is connected via a cheap dac to the amp for better tv sound. Optical to dac, rca to amp. The cheap dacs, c£40 or less, run off a usb or power lead you would need to select the one you want.

If this isn't feasible or you don't want it the standard dab tuner is the Onkyo T4030 c£200.

Yes, in theory, I think you could find a portable dab radio with a stereo out and buy the relevant "1 to 2" rca lead to feed into the amp, though it would look a bit messy. I don't know how it would sound.

A receiver, in hifi parlance, is an amplifier and radio tuner in one box. To keep the separate look, then a radio tuner is available to add to your Onkyo, but dab has never really succeeded as a hifi source. You will find used examples from Denon, Sony and others on eBay, alongside thousands of FM tuners - but they often need fancy roof aerials.

If you have good wifi you could do worse than a Google chromecast audio dongle, for £30 or less. You control it from your phone or tablet, and can access radio stations from all over the world. All you need to connect it to your amp is a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 x RCA phono lead.

TRENDING THREADS