Getting approval for hi fi purchaces from the finance director

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there everyone, I`m new to the forums, although I have been lurking for a few weeks now. Just wanted to hear from the more experienced board members about how you get your hi fi purchases past the other half? When I was young free and single I could indulge myself, funds allowing, to countless hi fi fettling. I had power amps, pre amps and bi-wired speakers not to mention that the living room in my flat was organised around the hi fi with the actual furniture coming a distant second. Now I`ve been married barely two years and mrs schultzee seems to think that I/we don`t even need a serious hi fi set up. Apparently the dvd player and the tv speakers are more than sufficient! :oops: So what do you do? Sneak purchases in when they`re not looking? Appeal to their sense of reason? :wall: Beg? Try and argue the point that tower speakers are actually aesthetically pleasing? Bribery? Seriously I`m after some suggestions. What have you done to enjoy hi fi nirvana and maintain a happy home life?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Schultzee and welcome

Your best hope in getting the Mrs to buy into the whole idea, is by taking her to a demo of well chosen decent kit, with her taste in music.

This will only work if she is into music.

A

Anonymous

I bought some AVI ADMs with Apple Airport Express and my wife loves them. Everything built into the speakers, superb sound from Spotify, TV and films. The Apple TV was the cherry on the cake.

Getting rid of boxes and wires was auto spend approval, even though selling up put money in my pocket and upgraded the sound quality.

A

Anonymous

But is it worth it if I have to sit through olly murs? :cry:

I`d feel sorry for the staff + anyone else within earshot !

SteveR750

many do indeed subscribe to the sneak them in strategy. I know several cycling buddies who have track bikes that they have to keep at the veldrome as they are secret purchases. One of my friends ran a guitar shop, and couple of the guitars on the display racks were not actualy for sale...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
schultzee said:
Hi there everyone, I`m new to the forums, although I have been lurking for a few weeks now. Just wanted to hear from the more experienced board members about how you get your hi fi purchases past the other half?

By not acting like a 'naughty little boy' but discussing these things as you would with any other adult purchases like new cookers or holidays, cars, refrigerators, TVs etc.

If you treat the whole 'good music in the home' thing as if it were your toy and act like a boy (sneaking around 'getting it past' the adult in the relationship) then you are farked for all future hi-fi purchases by creating an atmosphere of suspicion rather than collaberation and consultation.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
It was our anniversary last week. My other half wanted a new washing machine, so that was him sorted. I then turned up with some spendor sa1s and not a peep.

So my advice is make sure you buy the mrs a new handbag/shoes or whatever floats her boat, then point out that you haven't had anything for yourself for ages.

Plus always hide the receipts >)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I am totally honest and open with my wife. I tell her what items I intend to buy and how much they will cost. She has not objected to any of my hi-fi purchases so far. I can't think of any logical reason why she should object to me converting some of my liquid assets (spare money in the bank) into non-liquid assets (hi-fi equipment). Most of my hi-fi purchases are not items that will depreciate.

John Duncan

gregvet said:
My other half wanted a new washing machine, so that was him sorted. I then turned up with some spendor sa1s and not a peep.

Or alternatively, two birds/one stone:

tprestigewestminsterrhe.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I am totally honest and open with my wife. I tell her what items I intend to buy and how much they will cost. She has not objected to any of my hi-fi purchases so far. I can't think of any logical reason why she should object to me converting some of my liquid assets (spare money in the bank) into non-liquid assets (hi-fi equipment). Most of my hi-fi purchases are not items that will depreciate.
Lindsayt, if you can get your kit passed the O/H, there is hope for the rest of us. :)

matthewpiano

Part of having a healthy relationship is respecting each other's interests. If you have to sneak equipment in either you have a reason to feel guilty (buying at the expense of other priorities all the time), or it is time to sit down and make sure the relationship is about two individuals coming together rather than one person becoming a complete shadow of the other.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
lindsayt said:

Lindsayt, if you can get your kit passed the O/H, there is hope for the rest of us. :)
8)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Living in a Victorian mansion helps in blending-in large vintage hi-fi kit and giving the wife a choice of rooms in which to entertain visitors.

Keirik

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
maybe you started off on the wrong foot.

My wife encourages me to spend on my hobbies - in fact I get told off for not spending on myself enough.

In the last two weeks I've spent £4.5k (admittedly it doesnt happen everyday!) and her only response has been "good for you"

and she doesnt even listen to music so we have a separate living room just for me and my gear!

she's brill my wife!

Lee

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
schultzee said:
Hi there everyone, I`m new to the forums, although I have been lurking for a few weeks now. Just wanted to hear from the more experienced board members about how you get your hi fi purchases past the other half? When I was young free and single I could indulge myself, funds allowing, to countless hi fi fettling. I had power amps, pre amps and bi-wired speakers not to mention that the living room in my flat was organised around the hi fi with the actual furniture coming a distant second. Now I`ve been married barely two years and mrs schultzee seems to think that I/we don`t even need a serious hi fi set up. Apparently the dvd player and the tv speakers are more than sufficient! :oops: So what do you do? Sneak purchases in when they`re not looking? Appeal to their sense of reason? :wall: Beg? Try and argue the point that tower speakers are actually aesthetically pleasing? Bribery? Seriously I`m after some suggestions. What have you done to enjoy hi fi nirvana and maintain a happy home life?

I don't think it's about bribery. This is your hobby. Does Mrs schultzee have a hobby?

Bit of give and take is good. My o/h is into sewing and she's got dedicated space for her hobby and two machines with different purposes to do her hobby. Never have a problem with my purchases so long as the cables aren't trailing everywhere ;)

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Personally my strategy relies upon the "sneak it in & hope she doesn't notice it" tactic, then, if necessary, followed up with the "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" gambit. This has worked well for me in the past for motorcycles, cars & other stuff. I'm hoping that it will work with the new mountain bike I've just bought (when she eventually notices it in the garage...... :shifty: )

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
It was our anniversary last week. My other half wanted a new washing machine, so that was him sorted. I then turned up with some spendor sa1s and not a peep.

So my advice is make sure you buy the mrs a new handbag/shoes or whatever floats her boat, then point out that you haven't had anything for yourself for ages.

Is it me or am I missing something.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
gregvet said:

What? That some women buy hi-fi? Or that not all 'other halves' are a different gender?

John Duncan

Ravey Gravey Davy said:
gregvet said:

A washing machine. He is considerably richer than yow.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I also have had great success with the "It was £25 (or whatever amount your other half deems negligible) off ebay" lie on several occasions too, although you really need to have a separate bank account or a Mrs/Mr who doesn't check the bank statements to get away with this one!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
rob998 said:
I also have had great success with the "It was £25 (or whatever amount your other half deems negligible) off ebay" lie on several occasions too, although you really need to have a separate bank account or a Mrs/Mr who doesn't check the bank statements to get away with this one!

Mrs. Cno can sniff out a dastardly plan at 1000 paces....underestimate the female intuition at your own cost. :read:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts