Getting approval for hi fi purchaces from the finance director

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

rob998 said:
Personally my strategy relies upon the "sneak it in & hope she doesn't notice it" tactic, then, if necessary, followed up with the "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" gambit. This has worked well for me in the past for motorcycles, cars & other stuff. I'm hoping that it will work with the new mountain bike I've just bought (when she eventually notices it in the garage...... :shifty: )

I like your thinking!

Paul.

I don't get told no, but I do get derision for it. Hollie went though a phase of telling all our freinds how much the Harmony One cost, she thought I was bonkers. I still think it was a bargain.

Come to think of it, I did swap out the Mission M35 with my BR5s and didn't say anything her. That wasn't a deliberate snub, more a childish impatience :). Hollie was actually quite glad to see the back of those monsters.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm lucky beIng a big fan of Cyrus gear. All their kit looks the same so no probs sneaking in the occasional piece of upgraded kit. I got the Mono X300's a month ago and her indoors still hasn't noticed that they have replace my trusty Mono X's, (hidden in the loft awaiting an eBay sale). She did however ask me why I was burning in 24/7 for a week and enthusing about my "old stereo" which made things tricky.....

A

Anonymous

Gazzip said:
I'm lucky beIng a big fan of Cyrus gear. All their kit looks the same so no probs sneaking in the occasional piece of upgraded kit. I got the Mono X300's a month ago and her indoors still hasn't noticed that they have replace my trusty Mono X's, (hidden in the loft awaiting an eBay sale). She did however ask me why I was burning in 24/7 for a week and enthusing about my "old stereo" which made things tricky.....

Good ol` cyrus! Who`s to know anythings been changed :shame:

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
rob998 said:

"what, that old thing?"

Ah, you've seen my Alfa then!

A mate of mine went through the mid 90's to about 2003 buying a new, red Ducati every couple of years and his Mrs never noticed because his 916, 996, 996R, 998S & 998R looked, to the uninterested eye (and she was very uninterested in his bikes) virtually identical and he has a private registration plate. Then Ducati threw a spanner in the works by introducing the 999 which was a major deviation in styling from their previous offerings. Luckily he didn't like the looks of the 999 & kept hold of his 998R for a couple of extra years, until Ducati introduced the 1098 series in 2007. He then told his Mrs he was buying a new bike because he'd had the current one for donkeys years & things had moved on so much. So she let him, and he happily started the new red bike every couple of years thing again (1098s, 1098R, 1198R). He's stuck again now because Ducati have just changed the styling again with the new Panigale. No doubt he'll be chuntering on at her about how much things have moved on again until she gives in!:rofl:

A

Anonymous

Morning fellas... Been reading this thread with interest.. Here's my take..If you're both earning then split the budget two ways...then split what's left between you as bubble money for the two of you to spend how you like..?

My missus doesn't even know how much my hifi equipment costs!

Failing that my gut feeling on the matter is to grow a pair! No one should be under anyone's thumb..:))

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
It was our anniversary last week. My other half wanted a new washing machine

How womantic! My other half would tear my nuts into tiny chunks if I bought something like that as a "present".

She's fine as long as there's nothing else that needs paying for instead, which there always is. Having finished paying for the car in January, I was hoping to use the spare money for a few upgrades this year, or go on holiday or something (we haven't been away for about 5 years), however the car had other ideas and threw a terminal spanner in the works and I had to get another one, so I'm back on the finance for another 3 years and that's that plan out the window.

A

Anonymous

Very interesting topic :grin:

I think there are two issues that need to be sorted:

1. How the finances are split and what level of independence you have in spending your (singular) or your (plural) money. If you have money of your own, do what you want with it. If money is jointly owned, then some agreement will be required to spend. I always bought purchases out of my annual bonus, which was more "mine" than "joint".

If you have no money of your own i.e. its jointly owned, then try and agree a monthly amount you can put towards your hobby. Similarly the Mrs should get a hobby/shopping allowance too, its only fair.

2. Who wears the trousers in the house and decides what the furniture looks like. If the Mrs doesn't like floor standers and 50" plasma screens, its going to be difficult placing your new gadget in an acceptable manner. Some compromise will be necessary :shifty:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
gregvet said:

How womantic! My other half would tear my nuts into tiny chunks if I bought something like that as a "present"

Well I was a little worried that it was a trap and I was going to regret it. He's delighted tho, so it was win win. I get clean clothes and he gets a new toy lol

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
The_Lhc said:
gregvet said:

How womantic! My other half would tear my nuts into tiny chunks if I bought something like that as a "present"

Well I was a little worried that it was a trap and I was going to regret it. He's delighted tho, so it was win win. I get clean clothes and he gets a new toy lol

Laundry freak eh? Some people are easily pleased I suppose, my missus isn't one of them though...

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I'm lucky beIng a big fan of Cyrus gear. All their kit looks the same so no probs sneaking in the occasional piece of upgraded kit.

Which of course also suggests it doesn't sound any better ;)

Any-hoo, I've tried all of the methods:

a) hide the receipt and lie about the price - got caught, got hell

b) sneak it in - got caught, got hell

c) buy and be dammed - just got hell for that one

The only sucessful method I've ever had is a mix of nagging and selling the benefits. For example, "Imagine how good Robbie < or insert crush of choice> would look on a much bigger TV..." then pester away. Then, point out the benefits of previous purchases. For example, Sonos was a "far too much money", but would she be without it now? No.

There doesn't always have to be cash involved. I once swapped a VW Bora for an A4 of the same value. Straight swap, no money changed hands. That didn't go down well due to a lack of consultation.

Paul.

d) Is unexpected/free money. It's the LAW that you are not allowed to spend unexpected money on mundane things. Unexpected money should be enjoyed. As far as I am concerned, unexpected money is the same as birthday money :bounce:

I joined some friends in an art exhibition a while back, and thought I would go a little out of my comfort zone and ban myself from photography (cos thats what I always do). I was totally selfish (I tend to make thinks that I like and damn everyone else), and made a series of propaganda posters for Puffins in their fictitious war against the Black Back Gulls. Anyhoo, I actually sold something much to my amazement (I thought they were hilarious, turns out the only other person in Bristol who thought they were funny happened to wander in). It was so unexpected that I couldn't possibly do something sensible with the money I earned.

And that was my Justification for buying the Harmony One...

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
d) Is unexpected/free money. It's the LAW that you are not allowed to spend unexpected money on mundane things. Unexpected money should be enjoyed. As far as I am concerned, unexpected money is the same as birthday money

I find this works only for the first purchase. I recently sold something I'd originally bought with unexpected money and wasn't allowed to re-invest that in more gadgetry

Paul.

Lee H said:
Paul Hobbs said:
d) Is unexpected/free money. It's the LAW that you are not allowed to spend unexpected money on mundane things. Unexpected money should be enjoyed. As far as I am concerned, unexpected money is the same as birthday money

I find this works only for the first purchase. I recently sold something I'd originally bought with unexpected money and wasn't allowed to re-invest that in more gadgetry

That will only encourage hoarding

labyrinth1986.0400.jpg

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I recently borrowed a £2k Primare power amp for a week. My gf told me that it indeed sounded much better then asked if I was going to buy it. Being between jobs means that I have to decline for a few months!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
Very interesting topic :grin:

I think there are two issues that need to be sorted:

1. How the finances are split and what level of independence you have in spending your (singular) or your (plural) money. If you have money of your own, do what you want with it. If money is jointly owned, then some agreement will be required to spend. I always bought purchases out of my annual bonus, which was more "mine" than "joint".

If you have no money of your own i.e. its jointly owned, then try and agree a monthly amount you can put towards your hobby. Similarly the Mrs should get a hobby/shopping allowance too, its only fair.

Sounds about right. Reading this thread I guess I'm fairly lucky, but my gf (i) enjoys film and music so appreciates the kit herself to a greater or lesser extent and just as importantly recognises that I enjoy it, and (ii) takes the view that we both work very hard so you may as well use any spare money there is to get something you enjoy.

As for aesthetics, I take the view that if you think and plan carefully you can get something that looks good and integrates well in a modern home. After all, if it's done right hifi and AV looks 8)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Just say it's some old stuff you diged up from the basement (or stuff you found back at your parent's house)

Preferably pay the stuf with unofficial money (work you did on the side painting repair's or wathever you can do)

unbox it before bring it in keep the boxes at a friend's for guarentee you never know an leave the reciept in the box.

Good luck :rofl:

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
A nice spring break in Devon (Exmoor/Dartmoor), before the school holidays start, would be bliss
evil.png

I'm off to Devon and Cornwall from the Easter weekend for 8 nights, should be nice :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts