Get tidal to work for you

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right forum catagory, move it if you feel the need.

People may already know this but anyway.

Tidal is as we all know is a superior sounding streamer than spotify but not nearly so well supported by hardware. So what you can do is to use Tidal to cast to the chromecast device (a daft low price of £30). You will need to run Tidal from Google Chrome. As far as I know the chromcast device will not degrade the Hi res files from Tidal. The only downside is that you will have to feed from chromecast into a conventional input to your amp or streamer so you will not see the album info on your streamer screen. But it does work and the sound is noticebly better. Here's hoping spotify will finally get their finger out and launch the rumoured hi res option we have all heard about.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree, a Chromecast with Tidal HiFi is a formidable source.

Tidals interface and engine is getting better and is nowhere near as bad as a couple of years ago.

It has however still not catched up with spotify imo.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It’s still a £30 device and it should be used in combination with kit it’s partnered with

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Don’t expect it to sound good with thousands of amps and speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:

I wouldn't know but it sounds good in my humble system, through a Sabre DAC and more than passable even without.

Stunning for £30 but then that's what can be done with the might of Google behind it.

Ah ... and I paid less than half for the three I have. Price of three pints.

It may not do it all but it does make me question the sense of paying hundreds on a big ugly box.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:

I wouldn't know but it sounds good in my humble system, through a Sabre DAC and more than passable even without.

Stunning for £30 but then that's what can be done with the might of Google behind it.

Ah ... and I paid less than half for the three I have. Price of three pints.

It may not do it all but it does make me question the sense of paying hundreds on a big ugly box.

On occasion I use the Tidal app on my tablet and bluetooth it to my amp via an Arcam Miniblink dac thingy (£50 2nd hand)). It sounds very very good to my ears and not at all costly. I haven't tried it on more expensive kit but can't imagine it would sound rubbish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts