German Loudspeakers

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello to all,

as I have rather good access to german manufactured loudspeakers I would like to mention that if someone have a chance please listen to them. I mean makes like Canton , Elac , Nubert , Quadral or Heco. Actually I need to say it is a bit of a myth that Germans do not make good sounding loudspeakers - they actually make really good ones even in lower price range. If I was to describe "german sound" I would say it is rather bright with a good slam similar to JBL loudpseakers I think and tip a bit on an analytical side. But what makes german loudspeakers interesting is that even when some may lacking a bit finesse or sound resolution only in lower models - they always serve rather upbeat good balanced sound with "everything there". I.E. one can never say that some are lacking in bass , treble , midrange etc. they will always serve everything in sound scale what needs to be served. I would recommend to listen to higher models from Canton , with ceramic or alu-mangan tweeters like Vento or Chrono series. They sound really good. Elac makes good louspeakers as well. They are hugely ignored and I think they often are a challenge to other european manufacturers especially in lower to mid range products. 99,9% of them are made in Germany.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Another German brand that I've heard and liked is Audio Physic.

True, they are good rated and promoted in audiophile magazines in Germany. But unfortunatelly I did not listen to them. How would you describe the sound ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have German speakers, Adam Audio Artist 6. I think they are excellent, I bought them unheard, though I am familiar with other Adam (studio type) speakers.

Virtually impossible to find in the uk, mine shipped out of Germany.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
... and what are the differences between the "german sound" and say B&W 600 series loudpseakers , for example ?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
gallery05.jpg

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
BigH said:
The problem who stocks them in the UK?

We are still in the EU. Zero import duty. Visa free travel. The Global Economy and all that.

This is the 21st Century. Not the 19th.

How about hearing them first?

Take the ferry, fill the car up with beer / wine / cigarettes and a trip to Germany will cost you nothing but your time.

lindsayt said:
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
BigH said:

We are still in the EU. Zero import duty. Visa free travel. The Global Economy and all that.

Take the ferry, fill the car up with beer / wine / cigarettes and a trip to Germany will cost you nothing but your time.

It's probably cheaper just to drive to your local Lidl's. :)

lindsayt said:
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
BigH said:

There are, if you Google, stockists of most of these brands in the UK. I am particularly interested in the new Heco Direkt speakers as they seem ideal for valve amplification.

Not saying a road trip isn't in order. ;-)

[font="ProximaNova-Semibold, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]I have enjoyed both Elac and Quadral speakers at various shows. I think their ribbon tweeters are particularly fine. [/font]

[font="ProximaNova-Semibold, arial, verdana, sans-serif"]These have not often appeared from British brands, though I see Quad are now using them, and some upper Monitor Audio speakers do too.[/font]

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
BigH said:

Actually it would cost me a lot of money, its probably cheaper to fly than go by car. One I don't smoke so cigs are no use to me. Wine rarely drink. Bottled beer only about 1 a week. Germany is 500 miles from me, how much will that cost probably about £200. 12 hour drive each way, I suppose you expect me to drive overnight so I don't have to pay for a Hotel?

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I listen several times to some ASW, MBL, Audium, Neumann(aka Klein&Hummel) speakers and other. There are absolutely not to criticize and there is something for every budget in. But I could not give a "general signature" to the german sound. Because some german entrepreneurs like to have really high resolving speakers and other do more mellow and heated versions. So depending which one we speak about, it could vary.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Interesting (if understandably slightly biased) feature on the popularity of German hi-fi in the world market in the English-language version of Stereo magazine this month. Available to read/download for free here, and not at all a bad read overall.

robhifi

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I own ELAC 203.2 and 310IB.

To me, ELAC has very fast, energetic and open kind of sound.

Even very small sized ELAC (310) can do shocking volume and bass.

But that's not what you would call "german sound".

I heared Audio Physic and they sounded very much like Spendor.

What HIFI hardly ever mention any German speakers.

I still have a copy of What HIFI best buys published in 2000.

It was filled with Roksan, Cyrus, Naim, Mission, Spendor, PMC, ProAC.

15 years on, still the same story.....except maybe Mission which was acquired....

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
BigH said:

Actually it would cost me a lot of money, its probably cheaper to fly than go by car. One I don't smoke so cigs are no use to me. Wine rarely drink. Bottled beer only about 1 a week. Germany is 500 miles from me, how much will that cost probably about £200. 12 hour drive each way, I suppose you expect me to drive overnight so I don't have to pay for a Hotel?
If you live to the north of Glasgow, or the west of Bristol.

If you don't have any friends or relatives that smoke.

And you rarely entertain friends or relatives that drink wine or beer.

Plus you drive a vehicle with the thirst of a Hummer.

At an average speed of 42 mph on long journeys that are mostly on motorways.

And you insist on staying in upmarket hotels instead of budget ones.

Plus you never go to Germany on business, nor on holiday,

Then everything you've said in this thread is true and my advice on going out to Germany is not for you.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
BigH said:
lindsayt said:
BigH said:

If you live to the north of Glasgow, or the west of Bristol.

If you don't have any friends or relatives that smoke.

And you rarely entertain friends or relatives that drink wine or beer.

Plus you drive a vehicle with the thirst of a Hummer.

At an average speed of 42 mph on long journeys that are mostly on motorways.

And you insist on staying in upmarket hotels instead of budget ones.

Plus you never go to Germany on business, nor on holiday,

Then everything you've said in this thread is true and my advice on going out to Germany is not for you.

What a load of rubbish.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Germany is a nice place to visit, lots to see and do besides drink beer and eat wurst und saurkraut (though give German nachos, well any German "Mexican" food really, a wide berth, BTDT).

Combine your trip with a driving holiday and come back with some speakers in the boot instead of wine or beer. Sounds fine to me.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I auditioned some ASW speakers once. They were not a good match for my amplifier, but the build quality with real wood cabinets was utterly stunning for the price. I never let the wife see them or else I would have ended up with them just on the looks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts