General advice on choosing an amplifier for Kef Q15 - questions about impedance & power

I am about to pick up used Q15's (6 ohm) and starting to think what amp to get with them.

They are bi-wired, so my question is how much power should I be looking per driver? They are 100W speakers. I am not sure how the power is normally distributed in those amps and how much low and high drivers really take. I would assume lows need much more power than highs.

So that opens another question, which is how do I really chose an amp? What I am currently looking at is cheap used Marantz/Denon/Pioneer/Yamaha, etc. They are usually about 100W some of them can drive A+B speakers. What I am not sure about is whether I can adjust balance between lows and highs (A & B)?

Also, I've checked couple instruction manuals oon how to connect them and usually they are can drive only over 8 ohms per speaker. For example, check this manual page 11. It says "If you use both speaker systems A and B at the same time, the impedance of each speaker must be 8 ohm, or higher". From the forums I read that in this configuration each driver is still 6 ohms so from what I understand the system would be underpowered?

Also, from what I understand amplifiers like these are not bi-amp so I wouldn't be getting good performance anyway?

Is there a general advice on how to find/choose good value used bi-amp?

[href^="http://downloadsfreesoftwares.com/"],
[href^="http://downloadity.net/"]
{display:none !important;}

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. As no one else has tried to help you I will have a stab. For stereo speakers I would just get a stereo amp, don't bother about A+B and biamping. They mean if you run two sets of speakers they need to be over 8 Ohms. What would be useful to know is the resistance, ie are speakers rated at 85db or 87db etc. that will be at 1w 1m. The higher the number of db the louder they will be at same amp. volume. I think a used Marantz or Pioneer should be OK over 40W per channel depending how loud you like your music. Oh I think biwiring is a waste of time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts