Gefen TV Scaler Pro with Silicon Optix Realta HQV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’m looking to purchase a separate upscaler to use with my PS3 because, while the PS3’s upscaling is admirable with more recent movies, it struggles with older films and TV shows. I can only imagine the problem arises due to the poorer quality image TV shows produce on 16mm film.

Most scalers would offer far to much for what I require, and are much too expensive. Gefen TV Scaler Pro features the Silicon Optix Realta HQV video processor used in most high end upscaling DVD players. I read that the PS3 scored about 88% on the HQV benchmark test, so are the benefits of the Silicon Optix Realta HQV video processor noticeable over that of the PS3’s own upscaling? Or would I be better off buying one Toshibas uber upscaling decks based on the spurs engine when it’s released?

The problem dvd I have, if you can call it that, was authored in about ‘97/‘98 and has a VHS quality image (a lot of noise in the image and hazy edges). The PS3 upscaling fails to make a dent in the image, would the Optix Realta HQV fair any better?

The Gefen TV Scaler Pro is pretty much a re-branded Cypress Instant HQV HD Scaler, the specs will be the same as follows: http://www.nicollpr.com/SiliconOptix/Files/HQV%20at%20CES%20'08/Cypress/InstantHQVProductBrief.pdf

A

Anonymous

I could be wrong but a rubbish picture is a rubbish picture and no amount of fancy confounded gear will make much differnce.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the above. Without going back and re-mastering the material, I think there's very little which will make a difference (which explains why they spend so long going back and re-mastering old cinema...)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The scaler will do nothing to improve the quality of a poorly-mastered disc, or one sourced from low-quality material - indeed it may well highlight the deficiencies even more.

A

Anonymous

That's what I noticed on the Onkyo 905 . It does a great job on upscaling good quality programs and brings them close to HD but can't do much on a poor-quality material .

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:The scaler will do nothing to improve the quality of a poorly-mastered disc, or one sourced from low-quality material - indeed it may well highlight the deficiencies even more.

That's fair enough, but broadly speaking is the difference in upscaling between the Optix Realta HQV and PS3 noticeable, and is it worth using an upscaler on SD digital broadcast television?

A

Anonymous

kieran123:
Andrew Everard:The scaler will do nothing to improve the quality of a poorly-mastered disc, or one sourced from low-quality material - indeed it may well highlight the deficiencies even more.

That's fair enough, but broadly speaking is the difference in upscaling between the Optix Realta HQV and PS3 noticeable, and is it worth using an upscaler on SD digital broadcast television?

I would suggest the improvment over the ps3 would be there but marginal and yes its definatly worth upscailing freeview via the 905

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
emotion-21.gif
to garethwd's comments

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts