Sony STR-DA2400ES no sound with HDMI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

Got my STR-DA2400ES yesterday and I've been trying to put it all together. The landscape is the following:

- STR-DA2400ES

- BDP-S550 connected via HDMI with a QED QUNEX HDMI-P cable on BD

- Playstation 3 connected via HDMI with a QED QUNEX HDMI-P cable on Video 1

- Sagem freeview tuner connected via AV cable to SAT

- Bush TV (I know...is next in line to upgrade) supports 1080i and is connected to 2400ES via a QED HDMI/DVI adapter

I can see the 2400ES menus and the TV is set in 1920 x 1080 (but does not support 1080p). 2400ES is setup with output resolution 1080i. The sound setup for 2400ES was without problem, all speakers working fine.

I can watch TV and 2400 is upscaling to TV. I get stereo sound and the receiver shows Analog in the display.

But, when I watch BD or  PS3, the image is good (1080i in both cases) but I have no sound at all. The BDP-S550 is set to output priority on HDMI and the Audio HDMI is on Auto with BD Audio Settings to Direct. Both the DB player and the receiver show HDMI in their displays, but there is nothing else in the display (encoding information, speakers indication, etc.).

If I link the BD player with a digital coax (DVD coax) and I assign it to BD input and switch the priority to Coax, I can get the sound OK (I've tried with various DVDs using DD and DTS). But I don't understand why I don't get sound through the HDMI.

Another interesting thing is that when I setup the sound from PS3 and I put the output on HDMI and then Auto, the PS3 reports the error "This HDMI device cannot be used for audio output".

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? 

Thanks,

Alex. 

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like the receiver has its HDMI audio output set to on, and because it isn't reconising your TV it's turning of the audio output. It's all to do with copy-protection and stuff, and it's a pain - try turning off any HDMI control and HDMI audio output on the receiver.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

ÿ

The settings available for the receiver for HDMI are:

- Control for HDMI (is on OFF)

- Audio out (is on AMP, the other option is AMP+TV - which I assume is what you refer to)

- SW level (on 0dB).

I could not find anything else related to the receiver.

I also find it strange that the receiver's display does not show anything except the input (BD) the connection (HDMI or COAX depending on which one I'm activating) and a SP1 on the top right corner. Even when I get sound from COAX there is no DD or DTS sign on and none of the displays for the speakers are shown. There is only a message with the sound encoding (DD 3/2.1 or DTS 3/2.1) that scrolls in in main text line and then the display switches to "BD" .

For Freeview I have the left and right plus the SW icons lit in the display all the time.

Thanks,

Alex.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts