Gas and electricity rip off bills rising!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Quite agree! Though inflation is more of an energy-stoked blip than the systemic inflation of the '70s.
There's no doubt that energy prices are currently a major stoker of trouble (and that's before October).
I wish I had your optimism that inflation won't become systemic once again.
If some of the wage increase demands are even halfway met, the inflationary spiral will take some stopping.

DCarmi

Percentages are misleading....could you live well on £179 per week?
Sorry ! That is not what I was intending to say. It's the imbalance in the system and the "broad brush" approach which usually benefits the better off, at the expense of those less so. If I continue to discuss further I'd be be breaking the no politics rule, which I don't want to do.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Seriously, energy pricing was looking very bleak - even before Putin started his outrageous tricks.
Particularly bad for the poorest, many of whom pay even more due to being on prepay metering.
My daughter has a prepayment meter; pays for her energy in advance on the key; and the energy supplier has no expense in administering an account. Bearing these points in mind her energy should be cheaper.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
The rises have long since got out of hand.
Forecourt fuel theft has apparently increased by 39% since January. Who's surprised?

My own personal ripoff is road tax on a 2 litre Focus - which covers many fewer road miles than most cars, plenty of which pay zero tax.
I've always wished the tax was added to the price of fuel.....but that's got enough total tax on it 🙁.
What with forecourt theft I have noticed that the furthest pumps are often out of action. I know that it is in our blood to pay at the kiosk but pay by card is the most secure. The sales from the 'shop' will suffer if the walk to the kiosk is discouraged.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

My daughter has a prepayment meter; pays for her energy in advance on the key; and the energy supplier has no expense in administering an account. Bearing these points in mind her energy should be cheaper.
Scandalous.
I used to work for e.on.
I got a written warning for telling them what I thought of their sales policy during a staff meeting.
(To say I've never been a company man would be an understatement).

With a slow shift towards renewable energy, electric cars etc, I’m just wondering if this is a one last ’fill yer boots’ thing (authorised by those that have the ability to put a decent cap on all this sort of thing) for the energy companies. In return for a nice kickback, of course.

Reactions: WayneKerr

jjbomber

With a slow shift towards renewable energy, electric cars etc, I’m just wondering if this is a one last ’fill yer boots’ thing (authorised by those that have the ability to put a decent cap on all this sort of thing) for the energy companies. In return for a nice kickback, of course.
They're all losing money. The retail price of gas and electric is way below wholesale prices. That's why so many of the smaller companies are going bust.

DCarmi

To be fair governments in Europe have known for decades that the Russians were not reliable partners and the dependence on Russian gas and oil, and fossil fuels in general were a risk. They have done very little to protect against these risks.

The UK government risk analysis says we could cope with a 50% loss of gas imports before domestic supply is affected. As far as I am aware they did not look at the impact on unit price.

A month ago we came close to losing our main source of gas imports, when the Norwegian gas workers threatened to strike.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Talking about £6000 for electricity and gas from April next year! :oops:
I heard that and sighed (after swearing).
They're talking about prices you wouldn't even pay for a telly Fred - we're in trouble.

Without getting too political, here's the current state of play:
Some politicians that are unable to make a difference - have actually come up with a good idea to deal with the situation.
Some other politicians, that will be able to make a difference (when they're ready) are so far talking of grossly inadequate plans.
Meanwhile, some parents are already skipping meals to ensure their children eat......oh, and a shop has a fuse on sale for £4,200.

Reactions: Freddy

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
I heard that and sighed (after swearing).
They're talking about prices you wouldn't even pay for a telly Fred - we're in trouble.

Without getting too political, here's the current state of play:
Some politicians that are unable to make a difference - have actually come up with a good idea to deal with the situation.
Some other politicians, that will be able to make a difference (when they're ready) are so far talking of grossly inadequate plans.
Meanwhile, some parents are already skipping meals to ensure their children eat......oh, and a shop has a fuse on sale for £4,200.
How does a pensioner on the old state pension getting this amount a week survive?

£7376 a year pension.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

How does a pensioner on the old state pension getting this amount a week survive?

Until now, he / she has done what comes naturally to so many - they live within their means.
But that option is increasingly being taken away from people.

(Of course, as with all age groups, there are very well off and extremely poor amongst them).

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

£7376 a year pension.
What is forgotten is the rise in council tax. Many are paying over £2000 per year. This and the fuel bill wipes out the majority of the basic state pension.

Gray

council tax.
Don't we just love it?
I know that tax is not supposed to be good value, but CT really is my worst.
Ask yourself what you get for it .

I put out one, small recycling bag, sometimes only every 2 weeks.
I put out a small general waste bag about every 5 weeks.
My grass collection bin costs £65 extra, so is not covered by CT.
My street has LED lights (more directional and not as good at lighting as what they replaced).
That's it. Nothing else at all for me (though I do get the 'benefit' of knowing that my money provides services for others in my borough....but to be honest, I could get by without that 😐).

Gray

If you're one of those that bother with small print, I'd be grateful for you to double check some for me......to see if you spot a contradiction here:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts