Garrard 301

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Garrard 301 Turntable unit with a SME 3009 series 2 arm and want to re-house it in a nice new box complete with a lid.

I need some help in deciding the right materials to use to make the new unit, my existing (BOX) has no lid and tends to boom. The SME will be connected to a Quad 33/303 setup that has just been upgraded and Quad speakers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
emotion-2.gif

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I made a mdf plinth for my 401 used 7 or 8 sheets of 18mm with each one cut to fit like a glove.A real hard wood version would sound better but cost lots more.If you want to buy a ready made plinth check out http://www.garrard501.com/rebuild.html loricraft have a couple of different designs at different price points.If you have deep pockets the slate plinths are supposed to sound very good.

EDITED BY MODS for house rules violation

A

Anonymous

John

Yes thanks for that, have got a local supplier of reclaimed hard wood so might look into that, how thick did you make your baseboard ?

emotion-2.gif

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I made mine with 18mm sheets of mdf and every sheet from the top down is cut just perfect to fit the shape of my 401 http://dik.dolan.googlepages.com/hifi5.JPG so as i went down the cut below was smaller than the one above.I copied the design from a martin bastin plinth i think it was.I built mine over 20 years ago now and have often thought about getting a loricraft plinth.The slate plinths are silly money but supposed to sound very good.

Digitalpete:

I have a Garrard 301 Turntable unit with a SME 3009 series 2 arm and want to re-house it in a nice new box complete with a lid.

I need some help in deciding the right materials to use to make the new unit, my existing (BOX) has no lid and tends to boom. The SME will be connected to a Quad 33/303 setup that has just been upgraded and Quad speakers. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
emotion-2.gif

Depending on where the lugs sit on your Garrard. I would suggest you explore ebay route first for tables being sold for spares. I used to make my own boxes for turntables, no matter the type of wood you use it never seemed to sound the same as a proper machined TT housing.

Unless your a carpenter, your Garrard deserves a purpose built box - it'll also enhance the sound quality, too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts