Game changing kit.....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Jim-W said:
The LP12 certainly changed the game at the time, controversy raged later.

It was a great deck (I owned one), but was it really that much better than the likes of Pink Triangle, Michell Gyrodec, Townshend Rock and Roksan Xerxes etc?

For a time, in the late70s and early 80s, yes it was. It may not have been origonal or even that much better than the competition but the Linn dealer network ensured that it found it's way into peoples homes properly setup, often installed, and just as often, in a suitable and sympathetic system.

For the non expert, non enthusiast, hi-fi buyers of the day this made an enormous difference, much bigger than any single piece of kit that I can remember.

For a time it made excellent reproduction available to practically any one, for a time at least. You simply went to your dealer, listened to a few options and got him to bring around the one you liked the best, that simple.

CnoEvil said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi plastic penguin

Most of the list of components are no longer in production and from some manufacturers that we don't deal with. Hopefully this shouldn't be a concern :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

All entrants are welcome.....although a little justification of why the nominations are worthy of "game changing" status, would be even better.

That should've read: "Midlands dealers". :grin:

Strange no-one's commented on the Leema's bass. That means nobody - who's so far contributed - has heard it. Shame, really. How lucky am I?

Wouldn't necessaily say it is game changing, but it's certainly there or thereabouts.

T

the record spot

I had the Leema II for a while a couple of years ago. However, it had a similar sound to the Sansui AU717 who's bass was very deep and well controlled. Mind you, yours was modded by the guys at Leema when it had gone back?

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I don't think the Quad current dumpers such as the 405, 306 ever changed any games but ,in terms of sheer ingenuity, I think they deserve an honourable mention. They were heavily patented by Quad in the mid 1970's and thus any copycat amps were thwarted. Even the Quad utilitarian and compact design deserves a mention. I think Peter Walker and Quad were very typically British, ie a bit bonkers, if I might stereeotype and for thinking outside the box, no pun intended, they deserve credit. I know the preamps get some stick, but the amps, given a decent input, can sound airy, spacious and erm just right. Quad have their detractors, but I'm a huge fan.

Agreed. And while the patenting did mean current dumping didn't become widely adopted you only have to look at today's Devialet amps to see the basic principle lives on.

the record spot said:
I had the Leema II for a while a couple of years ago. However, it had a similar sound to the Sansui AU717 who's bass was very deep and well controlled. Mind you, yours was modded by the guys at Leema when it had gone back?

Think the modded thing is a slight red herring. Sure it was upgraded but I've not heard the MKIII. All I can say is it had a very slight improvement in clarity, but whether that was because of the iffy earthing or not can't really say. I was just conveying what Leema had told me...

Also it's the MKI. Apparently, when it went back for a second time, they told me there was no MKII. For some odd reason they skipped the MKII and straight to MKIII.

T

the record spot

Ah that was it, and I had the Pulse add well, not the latest model. Going back a couple if years now mind. Lovely amp though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts