MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I can't seem to find a specific thread for furniture, but I wanted an idea of what works for you. I've had a 4 tier rack for some time now, but as my system has grown, I've now run out of space. To keep costs down I'm after a used long TV unit to put my kit on, but it appears to be incredibly difficult to find one that's ideal. Quite often the overall dimensions will be ideal, but the central cavities dimensions won't be, or vise versa.

My idea was to put everything like the PlayStation, Blu-Ray and DAC in the cupboard hidden away, and have the receiver and pre/power amp on the central section, centre channel on top of the unit with the turntable to the right.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Gray

Hello, I can't seem to find a specific thread for furniture, but I wanted an idea of what works for you. I've had a 4 tier rack for some time now, but as my system has grown, I've now run out of space. To keep costs down I'm after a used long TV unit to put my kit on, but it appears to be incredibly difficult to find one that's ideal. Quite often the overall dimensions will be ideal, but the central cavities dimensions won't be, or vise versa.

My idea was to put everything like the PlayStation, Blu-Ray and DAC in the cupboard hidden away, and have the receiver and pre/power amp on the central section, centre channel on top of the unit with the turntable to the right.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Have a look at Ikea's website for possible ideas.
I've previously found depth to be an issue - as I like my (ridiculous amount of) interconnects to be enclosed.....which is why I modified a 'Pax' double wardrobe.
I've also used an MFI larder unit in the past, I'm not proud.

Reactions: MrPenkwin

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks both, they're both good suggestions but as I'm looking for used, it's quite a bit out of my budget as I'm trying to find a bargain. The idea also around the TV unit was that it will also hide my cables rather well. I don't suppose there's anything else you've used in the past have you that's done a good job too?

D

Deleted member 116933

when it comes to hifi furniture your specifics needs dictate what you will need, making it rather difficult to
find pre-loved stuff.

Have a look on not on the high street and Etsy, normally some cheaper upcycled stuff on there eg scaffold planks and tubing, if you're into the industrial look. and can norammly be made to specific sizes if you ask nicely.

Tonestar1

If it's the depth that's causing the problem simply cut the back out of the tv unit for the component that's too deep. For most it's the AV amp, I cut the back out of my unit as I was having a similar issue. It means the unit sits a couple of inches out from the wall but its not really noticeable. As a bonus it add to ventilation, having amps in enclosed units isn't the best for keeping them cool especially if there's not a lot of space at the top and sides.

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
If it's the depth that's causing the problem simply cut the back out of the tv unit for the component that's too deep.

I was aiming to do that actually, but it tends to be the width of the cavities or the depth will be much too shallow even with the back off. What unit did you find works best for you?

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
when it comes to hifi furniture your specifics needs dictate what you will need, making it rather difficult to
find pre-loved stuff.

Have a look on not on the high street and Etsy, normally some cheaper upcycled stuff on there eg scaffold planks and tubing, if you're into the industrial look. and can norammly be made to specific sizes if you ask nicely.

Hadn't thought of that, I'll have a look, thanks 👍

Tonestar1

I was aiming to do that actually, but it tends to be the width of the cavities or the depth will be much too shallow even with the back off. What unit did you find works best for you?
I went for this one. It was a bit more work than expected as it came prebuilt and had a solid back rather than hardboard so had to saw out the back of the centre section rather than simply stanley knife job but still didn't take too long. It is 45cm deep so the wires and connections stick out the back but as it is only a few cm away from the wall it's not noticeable.

Bethan Gray for John Lewis Newman TV Stand at John Lewis & Partners

Attachments

• TVUNIT1.PNG
    TVUNIT1.PNG
    238.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Tonestar1

I've seen similar done with IKEA Besat units as well. The benefit of a solid unit, imo, is that it hides the wires as well as the equipment which is better suited to a lounge environment.

I added this and placed the receiver on my centre speaker which works like a charm and doesn't have the annoying always on red light on the receiving unit like a lot of the cheaper models do. Considering it sends to four devices it's pretty cost effective.

One For All Remote Control Extender – Control 4 AV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

1610446712243.png

Attachments

• IR.PNG
    IR.PNG
    308.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I went for this one. It was a bit more work than expected as it came prebuilt and had a solid back rather than hardboard so had to saw out the back of the centre section rather than simply stanley knife job but still didn't take too long. It is 45cm deep so the wires and connections stick out the back but as it is only a few cm away from the wall it's not noticeable.

Bethan Gray for John Lewis Newman TV Stand at John Lewis & Partners

Thanks for both your inputs Tonestar1, that's very helpful. I assume the unit is nice and strong and doesn't send too much vibration up the legs?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts