Untold

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
Hi all!

I'm in the process of looking to change up my current system, moving away from a valve amp to something a bit simpler.

My current setup is as follows, and has been for about the past 7 years or so:

Amp: Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum
Speakers: Tannoy Mercury M4
Record Player: Audio Technical AT-LP1240-USB

The primary aim for the new build is to:
1. Change amp to something less heavy (this thing is a beast at ~25kg and I am worried it will no longer fit on our shelf)
2. Upgrade speakers and record player to something more in line with the amp in terms of quality
3. Speakers ideally need to be bookshelf and sit on a 30cm deep shelf).

I have also attached a pic of the shelf for reference that everything will be sitting on.

As a side note, does anyone have any idea what the original Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum would go for these days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and take care!

Attachments

• WhatsApp_Image_2021-11-08_at_4.25.50_PM.jpg
    WhatsApp_Image_2021-11-08_at_4.25.50_PM.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum,
Regarding amp it is best if you check out what they have previously sold for on the likes of eBay or Hifishark etc.
Whatever you get in the way of an upgrade it isn't going to work well on a 30" shelf. Can you not position stuff conventionally?
You could be throwing good money away.
Speaking of which what is your budget for the complete system upgrade?
Your photo upload didn't work....

Untold

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum,
Regarding amp it is best if you check out what they have previously sold for on the likes of eBay or Hifishark etc.
Whatever you get in the way of an upgrade it isn't going to work well on a 30" shelf. Can you not position stuff conventionally?
You could be throwing good money away.
Speaking of which what is your budget for the complete system upgrade?
Your photo upload didn't work....
Thanks AI!

I will check out those sites for costing, appreciate the recommendation.

That's a good point, we could instead place it on a 37cm shelf, but I just didn't want it to be too tight.

Budget wise, I would be aiming for $7.5k to $10k if possible.

I've just re-uploaded the image, hopefully that one comes through.

Thanks again for your assistance and looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks AI!

I will check out those sites for costing, appreciate the recommendation.

That's a good point, we could instead place it on a 37cm shelf, but I just didn't want it to be too tight.

Budget wise, I would be aiming for $7.5k to $10k if possible.

I've just re-uploaded the image, hopefully that one comes through.

Thanks again for your assistance and looking forward to your thoughts.
What sort of dollars, presumably American (as you have Rogue Audio) and not Australian or something? :)
All 'bookshelf' speakers are best placed on dedicated stands if you can find the space.
With that much money in mind find yourself a good dealer and pick his brains, if you can get the whole system from him I am sure you can get some discount / free cables etc.

rainsoothe

Hi. How about some speakers that are designed for wall mounting, like Guru speakers, or sealed box designs like Spendor A1? Maybe partner with stuff that can do room correction, like a Linn Majik DSM or Nad M10? The Linn (at least) already has a phonostage, i think, so that's some saved space - and look at a Rega P6 with Nagaoka MP150 or Goldring 1042 (if you get an amp without phonostage, check out Simaudio Moon 110lp v2).

If your only source is the turntable, then you could go for a normal amp, let's say a Naim Nait XS3 or, for something on the warmer side but still great sounding, look at Electrocompaniet. Disadvantage is that you won't get room correction, but that should really only be needed if you get normal ported speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts