Front Firing Speakers

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys

I currently have a Quad Vena 2 (Play) paired with some Oberon 5's which I am really happy with from a sound perspective, however the speakers being away from the wall is causing logistical issues with the TV, wife, kids etc. I can't really put them right up against the wall as it impacts the sound too much. Just a thought right now but does anybody have any suggestions for any speakers, bookshelf or floor standing that can be placed pretty much against the wall? Budget probably up to £1000. Happy to buy used but would prefer new.

Thanks

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
D

Deleted member 116933

Not many speakers these days are designed specifically to be placed against a wall. Some do work well that way though. Klipsch 5/600m work well like this as do some missions and wharfdale.

Speaker specifically designed this way that come to mind are neat and a good number of naim speakers. Though they’re on the big side naim that is.

Look for brands that are little lighter in the bass department. But with a little more sparkle on top. As you put them closer to the wall some of highs will be muted.

Reactions: Bumrah
D

Deleted member 116933

I have just tried some foam in the bass port which does help actually. Just not sure it is a great long-term strategy!

I find foam bungs rob the sound to much. But if they work for you then that’s great and no money spent. So win win as long as your happy with the sound

I have just tried some foam in the bass port which does help actually. Just not sure it is a great long-term strategy!
You’ll probably have seen that many manufacturers of ported speakers offer foam bungs for this very reason. You can take a look at KEF instructions freely available on their website (other speakers also have instructions online!) and they show the effect of the bass response.

Neat Iota Alpha are an interesting design that can work closer to the wall, and are unobtrusively short. But your Dali’s are lovely, so I’d not be in a hurry to move them on.

from my experience, the Focal speakers i have are great for this (within reason).
i have them around 15" away from the rear wall. this distance seems to be the sweet spot in my own personal setup.
the focal 826v are both front and downward firing ports, so there is plenty of listenable bass and very little boom.
these are definitely worth a look at.

As there are virtually zero loudspeakers designed to work up against a wall, have a look at the Larsen 4.3 - all Larsen loudspeakers are designed to work up against the wall. Their footprint is smaller than a record sleeve, and they’re quite short too, so not imposing. The only positions they’re not designed to work in are in corners, or against the wall either side of a chimney breast, as their drivers for diagonally up and forward into the room.
They start a little above your budget at £1390, but have just been updated with new drivers, and are a nice easy 8ohm load.

Reactions: Bumrah and Al ears
As there are virtually zero loudspeakers designed to work up against a wall, have a look at the Larsen 4.3 - all Larsen loudspeakers are designed to work up against the wall. Their footprint is smaller than a record sleeve, and they’re quite short too, so not imposing. The only positions they’re not designed to work in are in corners, or against the wall either side of a chimney breast, as their drivers for diagonally up and forward into the room.
They start a little above your budget at £1390, but have just been updated with new drivers, and are a nice easy 8ohm load.
Neat Iota Alpha also worth considering for around £1350

D

Deleted member 160668

Hi Guys

I currently have a Quad Vena 2 (Play) paired with some Oberon 5's which I am really happy with from a sound perspective, however the speakers being away from the wall is causing logistical issues with the TV, wife, kids etc. I can't really put them right up against the wall as it impacts the sound too much. Just a thought right now but does anybody have any suggestions for any speakers, bookshelf or floor standing that can be placed pretty much against the wall? Budget probably up to £1000. Happy to buy used but would prefer new.

Thanks
I've not tried mine with Quad so couldn't comment on the synergy, others may be able to comment, but my PMC's (twenty 23) are pretty unfussy re placement. I wouldn't have them touching the wall, but slightly out with a hint of toe in and you're away and they sound glorious (imo). They are front ATL ported. You'd likely need to spend another £100-200 on top of your thousand budget for a good set.

Just goes to show the difficulty of trying to find speakers designed to work in that position for under £1000.
NOTE: my EB Acoustics sealed-box EB2 work well close to the rear wall so I would suggest the current version (Arcaydis EB2S) as a standmount to look into. You'll have money left over for some decent stands as well.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. I've actually got them slightly away from the wall but closer than before and it's pretty good. Took the foam out, after listening for a while it wasn't great with most music. I'll have a look at all these suggestions. I had some old Rega R3's (dad still has them) that were front ported and had side firing bass drivers and these worked well against the wall, although they weren't as good as the Dalis.

manicm

Thanks all. I've actually got them slightly away from the wall but closer than before and it's pretty good. Took the foam out, after listening for a while it wasn't great with most music. I'll have a look at all these suggestions. I had some old Rega R3's (dad still has them) that were front ported and had side firing bass drivers and these worked well against the wall, although they weren't as good as the Dalis.

Stick with the Dalis if you can, other suitable speakers are going to be a backward step, or too expensive and niche.

Negotiate another 5cm out with your family:D, with bribery.

however the speakers being away from the wall is causing logistical issues with the TV, wife, kids etc. I can't really put them right up against the wall as it impacts the sound too much. Just a thought right now but does anybody have any suggestions for any speakers, bookshelf or floor standing that can be placed pretty much against the wall? Budget probably up to £1000. Happy to buy used but would prefer new.

Thanks

High quality loudspeakers such as ATC's HTS7's passive monitors (the on wall version of their highly regarded bookshelf/stand mount SCM7's) @ a UK RRP of £499/each are also worth a look. HTS7's are front firing and should help resolve your logistical issues.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts