From Dynaudio Focus 110 passive to Dynaudio BM5A MKII Active. A downgrade?

albireo

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm considering simplifying my set-up due to a house move and less space available. I'm really happy with my current configuration, a Musical Fidelity pre amp, Creek Power amp and Dynaudio Focus 110. However a reduction in the number of boxes would be welcome. Additionally, the Dynaudio are very demanding, and while I feel my current set-up does them justice, there's that "what if...another amp maybe.." question always lingering in the back of my mind..And I don't want to spend my time in an endless race to find the best amplifier. I just want to enjoy music.

So I've been looking at these Dynaudio actives. I could fund these by selling my power amp, speaker cables, and my Focus passives. I love the Dynaudio sound signature, and I've read somewhere these are actually rated as highly as the active 110, minus the finish, the grilles, the colours (not fussed about any of these).

Do you agree with this? Also the BM5A appear to be designed for "near-field" listening. What does this mean? Would they be unfit for normal hi-fi listening? My sitting position is currently 2m away from the speakers. It is likely to be similar or even closer in the new room.

So I guess my question is, has anybody compared the focus and the BM5A and could provide some insights? Also, I see the latter have got balanced input connection. My preamp only has RCA outs. Is there a way to connect the two with no loss in sound quality?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
try to get an active version of Focus 110 (it's Focus 110A). they have RCA connection. or you could go for MC15 (also with RCA connection) and add a sub at later date, if you need one.

2m or less from speakers to your listening position definitely falls under near field monitoring so you should be OK with BM5A if you decided to get those in the end.

albireo

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi thanks but the 110A cost more than I'd like to spend, and the other ones you mention don't seem to be readily available..

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Hopefully some of the forum members who have tried both will chime in soon, but from what I've heard there is sonic similiarity between the Focus 110 actives and the BM5A. So there is a good chance you'll be quite happy with the BM5A.

As for near field listening: 2M falls exactly in the range (nearfield according to the BM5A manual is from 1M - 3M).

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
albireo said:
Hi, I'm considering simplifying my set-up due to a house move and less space available. I'm really happy with my current configuration, a Musical Fidelity pre amp, Creek Power amp and Dynaudio Focus 110. However a reduction in the number of boxes would be welcome. Additionally, the Dynaudio are very demanding, and while I feel my current set-up does them justice, there's that "what if...another amp maybe.." question always lingering in the back of my mind..And I don't want to spend my time in an endless race to find the best amplifier. I just want to enjoy music.

So I've been looking at these Dynaudio actives. I could fund these by selling my power amp, speaker cables, and my Focus passives. I love the Dynaudio sound signature, and I've read somewhere these are actually rated as highly as the active 110, minus the finish, the grilles, the colours (not fussed about any of these).

Do you agree with this? Also the BM5A appear to be designed for "near-field" listening. What does this mean? Would they be unfit for normal hi-fi listening? My sitting position is currently 2m away from the speakers. It is likely to be similar or even closer in the new room.

So I guess my question is, has anybody compared the focus and the BM5A and could provide some insights? Also, I see the latter have got balanced input connection. My preamp only has RCA outs. Is there a way to connect the two with no loss in sound quality?

Nearfield monitors are designed to sound 'cohesive' up close, unlike hifi speakers, or midfield monitors. This does not affect midfield listening, I myself have these at around 3m distance from me.

I have not compared with any other Dynaudio speaker, but to me, they sound great. The only consideration that you might want to make, is the step up to the BM6As, if you have a large room. The 5s are plenty loud enough for me though and are a distinct improvement over my previous speakers and amp setup (MF A3 and B&W 602 S2 for reference).

XLR connectors are used on the back, but RCA to XLR cables are available at pro audio outlets for sensible prices. You could consider selling your preamp too and get a digital pre/DAC combo, but that would depend on your sources to be used.

Regarding selling your old equipment, I funded my system by selling my old set up and actually had money left over (not including the price of the computer).

TRENDING THREADS